• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your Lightning?

How many years?

• <= 2 years

• 3 - 6 years

• 6 - 9 years

• 10 - 12 years

• Never getting rid of it....

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrGreyS1K

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning XLT SR
As long as I can but if someone comes out with a PHEV truck ITS BEING SOLD ASAP for it.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'll probably strongly consider the Silverado EV/2nd gen Ford EV truck in 2024-2025.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
To be completely honest, if I were to get offered 20k over what I am paying, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder
I'm thinking 6 years as that's where I'll probably hit the 100k mile mark, but I'm keeping my options open. This is my first F-150 and I'm really liking the Lightning, but I'm also keeping my eye on how things go with both the Silverado EV and RAM - sorry CyberTruck, no.

If RAM can bring a beautiful EV to market with great range and capability within the next few years, I might jump ship.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Let's see if the trend of me keeping vehicles longer continues.

1981 Chevy Cavalier - 1 year
1965 Ford Ranchero - 1 year
1979 Ford Pinto - 1 year
1984 Ford Mustang - 1 year
1991 Subaru Justy - 1 year
1989 Ford Bronco II - 3 months
1986 Toyota XtraCab - 2 years
1989 Jeep Cherokee - 2 years
1996 Ford Explorer - 3 years
2006 Subaru WRX - 5 years
2011 Audi S4 - 5 years
2014 Ford F-150 - 8 years

This trend says I'll keep the lightning for 9-10 years.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Since I am trading in a 21 F150 PowerBoost, I know what you mean about watering down. I see where they saved money, and although the fit and finish is nice... it seems cheap in some areas.
Are you still happy you got out of your Powerboost? My Lightning is coming in a week and I'm concerned I'll miss my 21 Platinum Powerboost?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I typically keep my one vehicle for 7-12 years. So how I ended up with a 2021 Bronco Badlands and a 2022 Lariat ER, was a fluke. Plan on keeping the Lightning for about 5-7 years.

The Bronco (last gas vehicle) was something I knew I would buy and keep until I can’t drive anymore. The EV was because I see the future and plan on making my own off-grid Solar on a carport and shed that sit next to each other, for the Lightning. It will be able to power the Lightning almost 3 times in one month if needed, and of course the Lightning will power the house via 30 amp going to transfer switch.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I kept my Suburban for 10 years, Expedition #1 for 11 years, then Expedition #2 (2016 King Ranch) was a bit of a lemon. Between years 3 and 5 (this is year 6) I spent maybe $10K on repairs. A/C (blower and evap core), 4x4 vacuum system, cracked exhaust manifold and turbo housings, front hub gears...

I don't trust US automakers to produce anything that will last a long time any more. With trade-in prices much higher than they used to be, I'm thinking of swapping vehicles inside of 3 years/36K miles from here on out.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I will be keeping mine until at least Fall 2024, when I'm assuming my Silverado EV reservation will be built/delivered. Depending on the Chevy's final specs I will either trade in my Lightning for that, or will keep the Lightning for another 3-5 years (or until a fully resisgned Lightning hits the market).

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I don't tend to keep vehicles for very long and I expect EV drivetrain tech to evolve pretty rapidly. I suspect I will be looking about the time the Gen 2 Lightning (and other Ford EV truck?) come out - so 3-4 years. Rivian will be in strong consideration too depending on availability and how they hold up over time.
It will be interesting to see what GM comes up with on the Silverado. I may trade up or wait until Ford answers with Gen2 lightning. If Chevy does what they say(and also RAM)...400-500mi//800v fast charging...it will be difficult Ford to avoid at least keeping up on the gen2 lightning, if not try to "one up" the competition

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I will be keeping mine until at least Fall 2024, when I'm assuming my Silverado EV reservation will be built/delivered. Depending on the Chevy's final specs I will either trade in my Lightning for that, or will keep the Lightning for another 3-5 years (or until a fully resisgned Lightning hits the market).
If Chevy does what they say they're doing with the Silverado, Ford will have to answer with an updated Lightning gen2 in 2025, 2026 at the latest.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It will be interesting to see what GM comes up with on the Silverado. I may trade up or wait until Ford answers with Gen2 lightning. If Chevy does what they say(and also RAM)...400-500mi//800v fast charging...it will be difficult Ford to avoid at least keeping up on the gen2 lightning, if not try to "one up" the competition
I just can't get over the looks of the Silverado EV. Not as bad as the Cybertruck, but still...no thanks.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I just can't get over the looks of the Silverado EV. Not as bad as the Cybertruck, but still...no thanks.
Unfortunately (if you dont like the styling), this is going to be the future. With EV it's all about aerodynamics. The current ultra box shape of trucks is on its way out. The ONLY reason the Lightning is styled like it is is so they could standardize on the current F-150 chasis.

The Silverado's convertible back seat/window could be a game changer.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Unfortunately (if you dont like the styling), this is going to be the future. With EV it's all about aerodynamics. The current ultra box shape of trucks is on its way out. The ONLY reason the Lightning is styled like it is is so they could standardize on the current F-150 chasis.

The Silverado's convertible back seat/window could be a game changer.
I can live with the more curved front and more raked windshield. That is important for aero. That doesn't explain the ugly headlights styling details. As for the midgate, I am very skeptical about durability and leaks after a few freeze / thaw cycles, but I am open to having my mind changed once they are out in the wild.

It also remains to be seen if the efficiency is any better. For some reason all of the GM offerings on the Ultium platform seem to be coming in heavier and the same or less efficient than the Ford (or other manufacturers) equivalent offerings. Not sure why. If the Silverado gets 400 miles on a 200kWh battery, that is less efficient than the Lightning. Even 500 miles (I highly doubt it) would have it roughly match the efficiency of the SR Lightnings.
Sponsored