• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

INPUT ON LIGHTNING ORDER - Fallback if no Pro available?

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Dealer informed me I am number one in line. I am hoping to get a Pro with Max Tow. So for the people interested in the Pro, what is your ideal Pro order and what is your fall back order if you cannot get a Pro. I really don't want to pay $70k plus for an XLT with an extended range battery. I am thinking a basic XLT. Input appreciated, what is the sweet spot.
My first choice:
Pro with both tow packages (includes 9.6 propower and 360 camera) and the fancy tailgate: $45,982

Fallback:
XLT SR with both tow packages (includes 9.6 propower) and the fancy tailgate: $58,429

I have a hard time justifying the cost difference but these are both in my budget.... Still sad that Ford priced the XLT ER so high but I guess it makes it easier to pass on it. Vehicle prices are getting a bit out of control.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
My guess is Ford learned from the MachE roll out. They are making ER more of a premium so they have more batteries to build SR trucks.

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
My guess is Ford learned from the MachE roll out. They are making ER more of a premium so they have more batteries to build SR trucks.
They are making less than 10 percent of their trucks the SR version... Almost all long range

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
They made the extended range batteries more expensive, and people are still ordering them. The people what what the people want.

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I didn't see any compelling reason to get XLT.. I was thinking either PRO and either deal with the manual seats and no cruise controls/lane centering or go Lariat at around $77K.
There is no good reason to get the XLT with ER battery. Get the Pro with standard battery if you don’t need to tow/haul for a distance. Or get it if you want to stay on the sensible side of the pricing spectrum and don’t need all the bells and whistles.

If you want/need the ER battery, may as well suck it up and order the Lariat. Less than 10% more than the XLT with ER battery and you get a lot of extras, nicer seats, etc.. Just as the XLT doesn’t make sense, the Platinum doesn’t make sense either. A Lariat with ER battery and all the goodies is $12K less than the Platinum. So Platinum just means you’re paying a $12K premium for nicer leather on your seats and upgraded sound system.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
$$$$$F$$$$$

Dividends here we come.
Or, when they screwed up their pricing so bad that everyone buys other vehicles...

That 200k reservation number is going to have a whole lot less conversions than what they reported to their shareholders.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
For me it is go Pro or go home. Max tow and Tech package (mostly for 360 camera, trailer break controller) and 9 KW power and sprayed bed. $46K

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
For me it is go Pro or go home. Max tow and Tech package (mostly for 360 camera, trailer break controller) and 9 KW power and sprayed bed. $46K
Almost there with you, adding in $1000 or so for tailgate thingy and red color…

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Or, when they screwed up their pricing so bad that everyone buys other vehicles...

That 200k reservation number is going to have a whole lot less conversions than what they reported to their shareholders.
They'll sell as many as they can manage to build.
The people mad on this forum represent maybe 50 trucks. Sure there's probably some other people upset but then there's a huge number of people who once they get to see one in person or test drive one at a dealership they are going to want to order one. Sure, there's going to be a number of preorders that don't convert, but I highly doubt they'll have any issues selling way more than they had initially planned.

Sponsored

Marshall

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software
I am similar. The PRO just represents an insane value proposition. I’m adding Tow Tech, for the 360 cameras, and then another ~$2k aftermarket to upgrade the seats to katzkin heated leather, and for right at $40k after EV tax credit, I am golden.

But if I couldn’t get the Pro, my next EV would not be built Ford Tough.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm in no hurry to get a truck so I'll either wait it out for the pro, get the Chevy if it's priced better or wait until the next generation.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
My first choice:
Pro with both tow packages (includes 9.6 propower and 360 camera) and the fancy tailgate: $45,982

Fallback:
XLT SR with both tow packages (includes 9.6 propower) and the fancy tailgate: $58,429

I have a hard time justifying the cost difference but these are both in my budget.... Still sad that Ford priced the XLT ER so high but I guess it makes it easier to pass on it. Vehicle prices are getting a bit out of control.
My ideal Pro build is the same as yours, I placed my first wave order for today. I can’t justify the XLT for $12K more or anything with an extended range battery at $76K+. I could afford the Lariat if I really wanted, but I don’t want to invest that much in what to me is an experiment. If I can’t get a Pro I’ll pass and keep driving my 2021 Silverado 1500 ecodiesel or my 2021 Bronco.

I would love the power seat and some seat heaters from the XLT, maybe I’ll be able to add those things aftermarket. Hopefully the floor pans are the same as the standard F-150 and I can swap seats.

As others said, Pro is a great value proposition. I recently got a 2021 2 door Bronco Badlands. I like all of the features of the badlands, but the base model truck for $16K less would’ve been fine for my needs and still a great truck. Unfortunately I couldn’t change my order by the time I realized base was the way to go.

Last edited:

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I got the max tow but couldn’t justify the tow tech package for a standard range pro build. Just doesn’t make sense for me.
Sponsored