• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is PAAK possible on the Pro?

sen7inel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, Model Y
Occupation
IT
Just curious if phone as a key is possible on the Pro. Is it something I'm not doing, is it missing hardware compared to higher trims, or is it simply kept behind a higher trim paywall? Curious minds want to know. One would think a 60k (these days) truck would warrant such a feature...I can't imagine it costs Ford that much to implement.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
It's missing hardware from the higher trims. I think the BCM is different from what I remember reading. There are some people looking into adding it, but I don't know how feasible it is. You can add the securicode keypad fairly easy, or passive unlocking on the handles though, that helps to blunt it somewhat cause then at least you won't have to take the key fob out of your pocket

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
FWIW I am not sure it's available on the Lariat. At least I have not been able to get it to work consistently 😆

OP
OP

sen7inel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, Model Y
Occupation
IT
Disappointing, but thank you for the info. I'm less concerned about auto locking / unlocking feature, just wanted to drive without an obnoxiously large keyfob in my pocket. I have to add it's a strange thing since you can unlock and "start" the truck remotely through the app - so why not drive? Why the artificial inconvenience? It's a strange sensation to go back to keyfob after using paak, hope someone does figure it out.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
My PRO has PAAK, well,,,,, sorta.....

I just leave my keyfob in my center console, and use my FordPass app to open or lock the doors. Works perfectly. I never carry the keyfob with me.

for 'what if cellular doesn't work where I happen to be', I also put my 'skeleton emergency key' from the keyfob hidden in the lower driver-side frame, in a magnetic key box.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Disappointing, but thank you for the info. I'm less concerned about auto locking / unlocking feature, just wanted to drive without an obnoxiously large keyfob in my pocket. I have to add it's a strange thing since you can unlock and "start" the truck remotely through the app - so why not drive? Why the artificial inconvenience? It's a strange sensation to go back to keyfob after using paak, hope someone does figure it out.
PAAK is not reliable as having the keyfob.

It's prone to non-communication due to interference or lack of bluetooth signal or failure to recognize the phone 100% of the time.

I would not rely on PAAK at all - it's a nice backup feature, but not as reliable as a keyfob.

In fear of losing one or both key fobs, I did pick up an OEM Ford key fob to program as a 3rd key.....

Ford F-150 Lightning Is PAAK possible on the Pro? IMG_0830.JPG

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I guess everyone's experience can be different, but I don't think you can PAAK isn't reliable. Since I had mine set up, the only failure what the day I turned bluetooth off on my phone for another reason and forgot to turn it back on.

I believe that if it wasn't reliable we'd be hearing more about it here. Where I'm going is I don't know that it has ever left anyone stranded and not able to access their truck. There is always the door keypad and the app itself as backups. If you have PAAK you are on a Lariat or Platinum and always have at least 3 ways to unlock and drive the truck with you.

OP
OP

sen7inel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, Model Y
Occupation
IT
All good (and clever!) workarounds. I'd totally keep the fob somewhere in the truck...if it had the drive by PIN option.

I still think the Pro is perfectly capable of PAAK as it can already remote "start" (this still cracks me up but that's another story altogether) / lock / unlock via app. Just kept behind a trim paywall that checks / unchecks some box on Ford's back end systems.

PAAK should at the very least be an option on the Pro as it makes as much if not the most sense on this trim's potential commercial use: Why risk getting the keys lost/accidentally misplaced with the vehicle conceivably changing hands all the time. Missed opportunity.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'm trying to have the PRO coded today(IDS or FDRS required) to accept my new 'Wireless KEYPAD' from Ford, so that even if my 'keyfob in the center console while I use my APP to lock/unlock doors' regular method doesnt connect, or is slow to work, I have then a 'backup' to use physically. I plan on hiding this in the Charge Port door, which is where it fits with no issues : )
Sponsored