• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is the Pro Power 220v outlet really limited to 30a/7.2kw?

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
Greetings All,

If going with the assumption that the Home Integration system uses the same DC-AC inverter as the Pro Power setup - It should be able to provide 9.6kw to the 220V outlet in the truck bed?

If this is the case, would their be a breaker/fuse limiting the outlet to 30amps/7.2kw? Anyone care to try charging another EV (or the truck itself) at 9.6kw and see what happens?

9.6kw vs 7.2kw in my case would make the difference if this truck could sustain a home's AC system during a power outage or not....

Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
The intelligent home backup uses and external inverter. It pulls DC power from the CCS connector for 9.6kW 40A AC @240V.
Pro Power on board is limited to 30A on the 240 outlet. You can pull another 2.4 kW on the 120 outlets.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
The 9.6 includes the extra 2.4 that can be accessed through the 20 amp outlets.

The math just checks out: 240 v x 30 amp = 7.2kwh. The outlet given is also for a 30 amp rated wire.

As far as I know, using the FCSP with HIS is the only way to plug into one spot to get the full 9.6.

OP
OP

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
Thanks for the replies!

I recall there was a product out there (quick 220?) that could connect two 120v 20 amp circuits to make a single 220v 20 amp circuit for temporary use...

However, I don't think there is a nice way to combine the output of the 2x120v 20amp circuits into the 220v 30amp to get the 220v at 9.6kw as one circuit?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
no, as the 'whole house' fully integrated DC to AC equipment is accessing the full 9.6kw output of the truck's battery pack, thru the DC Pins of the CCS charge port. The truck is not actually 'outputting' any power itself, it is simply allowing the DC output to be transferred by the external equipment and transferring/inverted into 240v AC power.
The 'ProPower' option, giving the additional 240v 30amp outlet, is on it's own circuit, and thru a separate inverter than the stock 20amp outlets.

As for using a 'Y' adapter to combine two 20amp outlets into a single 240v outlet, yes, they are abundant in the RVing and Camping world - I've used them before successfully. Now, though, you'd have to check to see if the 20amp outlets in the truck are on different circuits, which is needed to have one of these Adapters work properly, AND the outlets can not be GFCI circuits.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Thanks for the replies!

I recall there was a product out there (quick 220?) that could connect two 120v 20 amp circuits to make a single 220v 20 amp circuit for temporary use...

However, I don't think there is a nice way to combine the output of the 2x120v 20amp circuits into the 220v 30amp to get the 220v at 9.6kw as one circuit?
A "quick 220" device will not get 240V/30A from 2 120V/20A circuits... it will generate a 240V/20A circuit *if* it worked at all.

The Quick 220 will take two opposite-phase 120V receptacles and create a 240V circuit from them. However, the two circuits must be exactly in opposition to each other, and when using inverters that is unlikely to be the case (especially when multiple inverters are used). In addition, the truck's receptacles provide ground-fault protection and this will trip that. Such a device will not work.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
Greetings All,

If going with the assumption that the Home Integration system uses the same DC-AC inverter as the Pro Power setup - It should be able to provide 9.6kw to the 220V outlet in the truck bed?

If this is the case, would their be a breaker/fuse limiting the outlet to 30amps/7.2kw? Anyone care to try charging another EV (or the truck itself) at 9.6kw and see what happens?

9.6kw vs 7.2kw in my case would make the difference if this truck could sustain a home's AC system during a power outage or not....

Thanks in Advance!
You also need to take into consideration locked rotor kva when running a motor load like an AC unit. I doubt you will be able to start a 5 ton AC which would take roughly 9KW to start. You could incorporate a VFD to help with the starting load.
Sponsored