• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

It Costs 30% Less to Make an EV?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Farley was on CNBC today and made the point that reductions in labor needed for electric vehicle production would be offset by jobs in battery production and recycling. However, since the battery plants are co-managed with SKI and Redwood Materials they will be non-union jobs. This is the same partnership framework that's being used by GM. They announced about four and a half billion dollars of investment for their campus near Nashville that will be used to retrofit an existing plant for ev production and to build new battery factory in partnership with LG chem. The battery plant jobs don't look like there will be unionized but the vehicle assembly jobs will.

Overall, it looks like the transition to electric vehicles will be a way for The Big Three to shed some union jobs. I'm assuming that they will eventually bring battery production completely in house which may change the equation again.

I'm not trying to start a political discussion but I think it's interesting to note how the transition to electric vehicles will have unintended downstream effects.
Sponsored