• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

It's now cheaper to drive a gas vehicle in Massachusetts.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The whole "I bought an EV to save money on gas" argument is absurd for vehicles like the Mach-E and Lightning, unless you compare the vehicle against purchasing a comparable ICE vehicle. It's NEVER cost effective to buy a new vehicle of any type to save money, since the new vehicle costs so much more than an already depreciated asset. But, if you're going to compare say a Lightning Lariat at near $90,000 for 2023, you need to compare it to a Lightning Lariat ICE, and then do the math on the cost differential as to if you save money on gas.

I always laughed when gas prices went up, and people sold trucks and SUVs and bought tiny gas cars to "save money", then a year later did the opposite. Same people who don't know to pay off their credit cards each month among other things.
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Ok I just got my first TOU bill. It turns out that the very low quoted rates were for "energy cost" ONLY, and not energy cost + distribution - despite how they compared it to the regular rate, which does include both of those charges. They need to update their terms information, that's pretty annoying!

In case anybody is interested, when I factor in the all-in costs here's what I get:
  • TOU all-in rate for off-peak charging: 11.6 cents / kWh
    • Energy charge: 1.2 cents / kWh
    • Distribution charge: 5.5 cents / kWh
    • Transmission charge: 1.4 cents / kWh
    • PPA: 3.5 cents / kWh
  • Regular every-day all-in electricity rate: 18.7 cents / kWh
    • Everything the same as TOU except Energy charge = 7.2 cents / kWh
(if the numbers don't add up, its due to some rounding)

So it's not as cheap as it initially seemed, but it's still a pretty good deal! It's basically $50/month to charge, versus $300-400/month for gas.

Even though it cost me a bundle to get a new meter installed with 2x60A lines into the garage ( and now I won't get my ROI as quickly as I had hoped), I do have piece of mind knowing that getting everything as cheap as possible, the electricity coming off the street and not taking any capacity from my breakers in my house, I have very good amperage for charging, and I'm future friendly for the next EV car with no more electrician costs to install!
Still a decent deal. I sort of thought something was up when you quoted 1.2 cents.