• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Now a good time to buy a Lightning?

DBN66

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 and Ford Explorer
Occupation
Broker
I’m on my 3rd F-150 in 31 years. ‘92, ‘00, and currently an ‘11 EcoBoost. All rock solid experiences. I test drove a Lightning to rule it out because I thought I wanted a PowerBoost hybrid. I was very impressed and I want to buy a Lightning. I’m ready now, but I can wait a while, my ‘11 shows no signs of any concerns. Any reason I should wait?

Ford F-150 Lightning Now a good time to buy a Lightning? IMG_8898
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you think it matters, 2024s will have a heat pump. They will also cost more.

designthis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat SR Black 8/21/23 blend
Occupation
Builder
Why wait?
In the 3 months I’ve owned mine I haven’t burned roughly 250 gallons of gas. The electricity I used (in New York State) was powered by about 50% natural gas, 25% nuclear, and 25% hydro/wind. Pumping gas is way less convenient than plugging in when you get home.
And it‘s the most amazing vehicle I’ve ever owned.
You won’t regret it.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The question you must answer first is why buy a new truck when the old one is in good condition. Assuming you own the current one now and your expenses are fuel and maintenance, it’s a financial bust to buy a new vehicle with much higher cost per mile.
But if you got the bug for a new truck and money is burning a hole in your pocket, you could do worse than a used Lightning, like maybe a brand new truck. If you definitely want a brand new truck, then you should read through this forum to understand the pro’s and con’s of electric trucks. If you can install a charger at home, that’s a positive.
With that said, I love my 22 Lariat. Probably 95% of the electricity consumed in almost 2 years has come from home. The rest has come from Electrify America chargers adjacent to interstates. I haven’t had any major problems with them.

EigenSolver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru, 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
In your photo it looks like your EcoBoost is towing - if you have not already, have a look at the towing threads and videos to make sure the Lightning will work for your needs (TLDR: it tows great, but with a pretty big range hit). Plenty of people make it work, so just make sure you’ve done your research.

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I’m on my 3rd F-150 in 31 years. ‘92, ‘00, and currently an ‘11 EcoBoost. All rock solid experiences. I test drove a Lightning to rule it out because I thought I wanted a PowerBoost hybrid. I was very impressed and I want to buy a Lightning. I’m ready now, but I can wait a while, my ‘11 shows no signs of any concerns. Any reason I should wait?

IMG_8898.jpeg
Buy now.

(Unless you are towing 8000lbs on 500 mile trips)

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
You need to be aware that any EV will depreciate quicker than a Hybrid Powerboost. Due to improvements in batteries and range older EVs will loose value quickly. A hybrid not so much. Plus if you are towing more than 100 round trip miles the EV isn’t a good choice.

I’m not trying to be negative but im posting this from long time experience as an EV owner for 9 years and a current owner of 3 EVs (2 Teslas and 1 Lightning). For towing I have a Ford F-450 Diesel.
Ford F-150 Lightning Now a good time to buy a Lightning? IMG_5688
Ford F-150 Lightning Now a good time to buy a Lightning? IMG_3073

Meleys

First Name
Ana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick 22, Tacoma 02, GSXR 750 09, Ninja 250 12
Occupation
Embryologist
I’m sure the 2023s are selling for discounts and incentives so better to get one now. I got an XLT standard range in December for MSRP 57k.

However, the 24s have the heat pump which I don’t know if that makes a huge improvement because I’ve only driven my heat pumpless Lightning for almost two months in the California winter so I have nothing to compare it to 🤣.

But I am very certain that the 2024s are going to be VERY pricey. They have already had two price increases 🙈!!!

Good luck and like everyone says, do your research and know what you are getting yourself into with an EV.

Schroederhc1

First Name
Cordell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER, 1990 911 Targa
Occupation
Self Employed

IMG_8898.jpeg
Purchased a ER XLT last week for 69 I think it was a good deal. Love the truck!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Gas prices are about to sky rocket again. It’s really up to you but I feel like some of these current Ford Incentives will expire or that $7500 rebate will be tacked in by dealers.

Right now I am jealous of anyone buying a Lightning because it’s a real value at these prices

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'll second what others have said about the towing, that would likely be the biggest issue. Some have accepted the range (100-150 miles) and plan accordingly to make it work. Reading trip reports of people who have towed will help you decide if this truck is a good fit for your needs.
Sponsored