• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Article: How Ford’s F-150 Lightning, Once in Hot Demand, Lost Its Luster

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I think all the reasons why the Lightning, and EVs in general, have lost popularity has already been covered enough in this thread.

I appreciate Ford for releasing the Lightning because I love mine. I think if more people could have an open mind, they could love one too. But, at the end of the day, we all make our own decisions we feel are best for us. Whether they continue to make them or cancel them, I won't get bored of doing 4 wheel burnouts in my truck when the light turns green.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
As for the loosing luster - Ford had an estimated 80% drop-out reservation rate I read somewhere and the main reason, mine too, was the 40% price increase over what was originally promised.

I waited until this Jan 2024 to buy one because - big price drop in the 2023's and the $7500 tax credit up front and the IRS won't come back at you if you otherwise wouldn't qualify.

When I bought my first full-sized EV (had a lot of small radio controlled battery powered toy cars when my son was little) in 2011, a 2012 Nissan Leaf, I lost some of the tax credit due to income or tax liability issues, I don't remember the specifics, but it was a bummer.

So being an experienced EV driver since 2011, I was prepared for all the range, temperature, infrastructure, etc. issues with owning an EV, and all the benefits too.

Even with the higher up front cost, EVs beat on cost of ownership according to the recent analysis in the Washington Post, which has had its share of EV bashing over the years mostly by VW Deisel driver Charles Lane. (BTW, remember when the NYTimes reporter reviewed a Tesla and intentionally mislead?)

You should be able to read this, subscriber or not:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/01/30/plug-in-hybrid-car-worth-it/

Some excerpts for education and comment (fair use):

"...EVs were cheaper to maintain at a cost of 6 cents per mile, compared with 9 cents for plug-in hybrids and more than 10 cents for conventional gasoline vehicles, according to the latest Energy Department data...."

"...What’s the takeaway based on price? If you want the lowest sticker price, gasoline cars are still the winner — but they will cost you over time in fuel and maintenance, not to mention much higher carbon emissions. If you’re looking for the biggest savings over five years or more, and charging is accessible, go with electric..."

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
interesting, thank you. I guess that is a feel good equivalent

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Just about any married-joint tax return with AGI equal to the price of a Lightning Lariat or higher is going to have a $7500 or higher tax liability (though I’m not sure anyone should be buying a vehicle that costs as much as their annual income).
Maybe it's a different tax issue, there is now an income cap on the tax benefit. When other people are buying the same vehicle at $7,500 cheaper than people above the income cap, it's an instant $7,500 in depreciation. My next EV purchase is over $80k, simply so I don't have to pay more than someone buying the same vehicle.

This just made me think about another issue, buying an EV is a lot more complicated than buying an ICE vehicle. This is the stuff you need to think about, like what qualifies for a tax break. A lot of people don't want to think, we're the group on a forum obsessing over something, we're a minority.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Maybe it's a different tax issue, there is now an income cap on the tax benefit. When other people are buying the same vehicle at $7,500 cheaper than people above the income cap, it's an instant $7,500 in depreciation. My next EV purchase is over $80k, simply so I don't have to pay more than someone buying the same vehicle.

This just made me think about another issue, buying an EV is a lot more complicated than buying an ICE vehicle. This is the stuff you need to think about, like what qualifies for a tax break. A lot of people don't want to think, we're the group on a forum obsessing over something, we're a minority.
We did our research. Bought the Lightning in Nov. 2022 and earlier in August a plug-in hybrid Volvo recharge. We were able to take a full $15,000 tax credit for 2022, which was pretty sweet. We did solar early in 2023, and received a huge credit for that too. Now we have free "fuel" in the form of solar electricity for our vehicles and free electricity plus whatever additional electricity we generate. We laugh, because we are not really "tree huggers" or consider ourselves "green," but we see ourselves in the green from all the incentives, and in our later years not having a $400/month electric bill will be pretty great.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Whoo, Hoo! 2.7 miles per kWh lifetime equals 91 mpge. That’s far better than the EPA rating. Truck has 13,286 miles.
2.7- do you obtain this while driving on a freeway with no traffic lights and no regenerative braking. On most commutes on the Garden State Parkway driving 37 miles, I'm lucky to break pas 2.0 miles per kWh. I have tried pre-conditioning, driving below 70 mph (which can be difficult on the stretch of road I drive on), and I can't seem to break 2.0. I understand there is a cold weather penalty.

Even in around town (what used to be called "city") driving, I'm lucky to see 2.4. This has been in all seasons without the heat or air conditioning on, and driving "gently" with no fast starts, etc.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Whoo, Hoo! 2.7 miles per kWh lifetime equals 91 mpge. That’s far better than the EPA rating. Truck has 13,286 miles.
It's called local driving...

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
2.7- do you obtain this while driving on a freeway with no traffic lights and no regenerative braking. On most commutes on the Garden State Parkway driving 37 miles, I'm lucky to break pas 2.0 miles per kWh. I have tried pre-conditioning, driving below 70 mph (which can be difficult on the stretch of road I drive on), and I can't seem to break 2.0. I understand there is a cold weather penalty.

Even in around town (what used to be called "city") driving, I'm lucky to see 2.4. This has been in all seasons without the heat or air conditioning on, and driving "gently" with no fast starts, etc.
My Fusion Hybrids taught me how to drive conservatively as I was able to average 50+ mpg over the life of the car.

The 2.7 miles per kWh is for the 13,200+ miles that are on the truck. I have not reset the trip odometer since I bought it new.

I do mixed driving and have taken the truck on some long trips. I generally do not go over 60 mph and if the speed limit is 55 mph, that’s what I do. I also do not precondition as a matter of habit.

The first summer, I did not use the AC and the second summer, if it did get used, it was set to 79 degrees. In winter, I only use the heated seats and steering wheel.

Last edited:

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I don't get it, there are 3 Lightnings on the Ford lot near me and 19 Tundras at the Toyota lot. There 12 Ram 1500s on the lot at 15% under MSRP. Obviously EVs are doomed.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
It's called local driving...
Actually, it’s mixed driving having taken the truck from Northern Virginia to Roanoke, Va, Richmond, Va, Newport News, VA, Baltimore, MD and Philadelphia, PA - with trips to Richmond being several times.

alexose

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 C-Max, 1999 F150
Just my two cents, but a lot of these negative reviews have a "sitting in a chair in the sky" quality to them. EVs are incredible. Nearly everyone that buys an EV says that they're never going back.

Yet, because they're somehow not better than ICE vehicles in every single use case makes them some sort of wrongheaded mistake? I just don't see it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Actually, it’s mixed driving having taken the truck from Northern Virginia to Roanoke, Va, Richmond, Va, Newport News, VA, Baltimore, MD and Philadelphia, PA - with trips to Richmond being several times.
Well, it is heavily skewed to low speed driving.
Sponsored