• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Article: How Ford’s F-150 Lightning, Once in Hot Demand, Lost Its Luster

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
...I paid about $95K for the truck, and with all the accessories I got for it, the Ford Protect Plan, and the Home Integration System, my total price was about $110K, which I paid in cash.
Wow, WHAT? Ouch! I paid in the $70s brand new. Glad I was first wave! :) Mine is also a Lariat Extended range too with scale, heated wheel etc, all the first wave options. Are you sure you didn't buy a Platinum?
Sponsored

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
Agree the Ford nav sucks. The path of Our road in Maine was moved 75 years ago but the Ford nav still has the old path, through what is now a woods. All other apps get the path correct.
Ha! I just drove to Saddleback from Camden and Ford had me on the dumbest route possible, an hour in we switched to Google Maps. I was curious how the Ford nav would hold up, now I know.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Well, it is heavily skewed to low speed driving.
While I do some local driving, most of my trips are at least 15 - 20 miles one way. And of those, most are cross county (Quantico MCB to Manassas or Fairfax) at speeds of 45 - 55 mph. Yes, there are surface streets and some traffic lights, but vey little driving is at 25 or 35 mph. How you drive also has a big part in it. My last trip from Richmond was 2.6 miles per kWh in cold weather. I drove 55 to 60 mph in the right lane. Very little stop and go traffic.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
While I do some local driving, most of my trips are at least 15 - 20 miles one way. And of those, most are cross county (Quantico MCB to Manassas or Fairfax) at speeds of 45 - 55 mph. Yes, there are surface streets and some traffic lights, but vey little driving is at 25 or 35 mph. How you drive also has a big part in it. My last trip from Richmond was 2.6 miles per kWh in cold weather. I drove 55 to 60 mph in the right lane. Very little stop and go traffic.
Driving on the highway at 55 to 60 isn't how most people drive, which is why you're getting 2.7 lifetime. My lifetime is 2.7 also - on my Mach-E. The truck, which only has a few thousand miles, is 1.8 I think. I drive around 73 on the highway in 70mph zones.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Driving on the highway at 55 to 60 isn't how most people drive, which is why you're getting 2.7 lifetime. My lifetime is 2.7 also - on my Mach-E. The truck, which only has a few thousand miles, is 1.8 I think. I drive around 73 on the highway in 70mph zones.
You must have been talking to my wife and kids. They say the same thing and have made sure that all my siblings know too after 55 mph to Norfolk and back in my Fusion Hybrid. But, I got 50 mpg in it On those trips and 52 mpg for the time I had the car. Yes, the hybrid cars created a monster! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Whoo, Hoo! 2.7 miles per kWh lifetime equals 91 mpge. That’s far better than the EPA rating. Truck has 13,286 miles.

Just an FYI. My spring summer fall average is 2.5-2.7 but late fall through winter can drop that to 2.1-2.3. Either way, I'm still $$ ahead.

My daily route is windy & winding 2 lane where I typically average 45-55 mph. And it takes me 1 hour to drive 48 miles. Once temps hit the hi 50's, then mileage as KWH really start to increase. mid 40's and below.. sucks eggs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Are you sure you didn't buy a Platinum?
I've forgotten the exact price increase for the 2023 Lariat ER with the "stuff" I wanted. It was in the range of $8K to $10K.
Ford F-150 Lightning Article: How Ford’s F-150 Lightning, Once in Hot Demand, Lost Its Luster 1707514042220

Ford F-150 Lightning Article: How Ford’s F-150 Lightning, Once in Hot Demand, Lost Its Luster 1707514055010

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
Maybe I'm a simple man, but why can the new Taycan (and Lucid) charge so much faster than the EV trucks on the road? Battery is the same size as the Lightning SR, but a 15 minute charge is basically all you ever need in the Taycan. I know the Taycan is a $120k+ vehicle, is a good portion of that high cost going towards faster charging?

Put that Taycan charging curve in a Lightning or any other EV, and you essentially squash the biggest concern of the segment. Tech is already there, it just isn't being utilized or is too expensive.
Voltage is a part of it, but it's also because Ford is choking down the recharging curves with their software. The first guy to develop a Forscan hack to bypass the battery throttling system is going to be my very best friend. I'm totally fine with increasing battery risk if it saves me 15 minutes a crack wandering a Walmart parking lot.

Sponsored

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I've forgotten the exact price increase for the 2023 Lariat ER with the "stuff" I wanted. It was in the range of $8K to $10K.
Wow, sure enough! Just puts the 'good on ya' for those who ordered early, holy moly! :)

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
You must have been talking to my wife and kids. They say the same thing and have made sure that all my siblings know too after 55 mph to Norfolk and back in my Fusion Hybrid. But, I got 50 mpg in it On those trips and 52 mpg for the time I had the car. Yes, the hybrid cars created a monster! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Was that your driving in the movie Office Space getting smoked by the man walking on the sidewalk?

Ford F-150 Lightning Article: How Ford’s F-150 Lightning, Once in Hot Demand, Lost Its Luster P7CM1u

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Thank you for posting this. I was starting to think there was something wrong with my Lightning. I have posted in the past about my frustration with "range shrinkage." Thanks to you, I have recalibrated my brain to think in terms of SOC or % an multiply by my mi/kWh. It's a lot easier when that number is 2.0, but mi/kWh X (131 * %) is much easier to work with.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Car prices are dropping like a rock in the used vehicle market, with prices down by -23% over the last 18 months, the biggest drop on record according to Cox Automotive.

These price declines on cars are especially severe for Tesla, where Elon Musk has dropped the price of the electric vehicles by 25% for new versions. Leading to a massive 50% collapse in prices used Teslas. Many Tesla buyers are now experiencing huge buyers remorse as the values of their vehicles plummet by the day.

These plummeting car prices are now resulting in many subprime borrowers defaulting on their car loans. With the 60-day subprime car delinquency index spiking to its highest level in 30 years. These skyrocketing default rates will lead to repossessions and could cause prices to crash by more.

Now - the prices of brand new cars on dealer lots having gone down by as much. Only down -2% over the last year. With the average price of a new cat still sitting around $48,000, well above its pre-pandemic levels.

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The ER Lariat was initially priced to just squeak under the 80k tax credit limit. Our early build Mannequin has nothing deleted and is a perfect example of that pricing. We paid 77k with 6k miles shortly before the price reduction. MSRP was a few hundred under 80k. So we'll be at 69k and change after the tax credit.

Some dealers screwed up their orders adding interior options that could have easily been installed later. It's really sad when you see an $80,100 MSRP truck because of some silly cargo organizer that's in the parts catalogue.

Not happy about the price reduction but it will force us to keep this truck for longer than normal which makes financial sense. Doesn't look like there will be much competition in the EV truck market for at least a few years.

Road tripping in the lightning is not for everyone. If you're in a hurry it gets old quick. We enjoy it as it keeps us from driving 900 mile days which is very fatiguing and not something we like doing much anymore.

If the chargers across I-90 in SD and WY ever get spaced so we only have to charge to 80% in the winter road tripping will be much quicker.
Sponsored