• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Second compressor (#2) for max tow package:

Ford F-150 Lightning Munro Live:  The Lightning's Thunderous Rolling Chassis 1666027518426

Ford F-150 Lightning Munro Live:  The Lightning's Thunderous Rolling Chassis 1666032317974
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
You beat me to it! ;)

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd

Second compressor (#2) for max tow package:

1666027518426.png

1666032317974.png
I do think it is interesting how they seem to be moving (with good reason) to using castings in the same way that Tesla is. Its interesting to see the compromises they needed to make to get it to market so fast, and yet still develop a strong platform overall.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Wow, I owe Ford engineers an apology. I have been really discounting how much engineering went into the Lightning because it's "built on an ICE frame". The engineering in the front alone to make the Frunk the best in its class is admirable.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I love that they reused the empty space for the transmission for the max tow package additional cooling. That was dead space from the reuse of the ICE cabin that they put to good use.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do think it is interesting how they seem to be moving (with good reason) to using castings in the same way that Tesla is. Its interesting to see the compromises they needed to make to get it to market so fast, and yet still develop a strong platform overall.
I wish they showed the tear down process too. With that many cooling tubes everywhere, it makes me wonder how easy it is to get to them. Under frunk may not be that bad but I am thinking if the body or battery need to be moved to get to others, cost of repair may shoot up once these things get old. I know many don't think of keeping their vehicle passed warranty but my current truck is 20 years old and is still running like a champ. I hate to think of my EV as a disposable electric shaver.

One of the advantages of this generation of Lightening is that it is not ground up design and there is a lot of proven design and tech in there the industry is familiar with so there is a better chance you can have some of the problems resolved by third party with competitive pricing. The quote for a minor fender bender fix for R1T was $21K.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Has there been any evidence that the second cooler for max tow is used even when not towing? (Sorry if it was in video, don't have the time to watch it at the moment).

I don't plan on towing much but in the SW desert, I might consider it if it helps with general cooling/DCFC on road trips.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I wish they showed the tear down process too. With that many cooling tubes everywhere, it makes me wonder how easy it is to get to them. Under frunk may not be that bad but I am thinking if the body or battery need to be moved to get to others, cost of repair may shoot up once these things get old. I know many don't think of keeping their vehicle passed warranty but my current truck is 20 years old and is still running like a champ. I hate to think of my EV as a disposable electric shaver.

One of the advantages of this generation of Lightening is that it is not ground up design and there is a lot of proven design and tech in there the industry is familiar with so there is a better chance you can have some of the problems resolved by third party with competitive pricing. The quote for a minor fender bender fix for R1T was $21K.
I like and respect the Rivian stuff. They made a premium car with all premium stuff (maybe even over designed). But yeah, repairing one is going to be an issue.

One nice thing about the body on frame Ford is it's only 14 bolts to get that body off (plus some wiring and tubing disconnects). The battery is 'floated' on the bottom cradle which isolates it from everything else. There is a lot of piping for sure, but nothing can be worse than working on a German car when it comes to access and packaging. Changing the AIR FILTER on a Panamera requires removing the FRONT BUMPER of the car!!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I like and respect the Rivian stuff. They made a premium car with all premium stuff (maybe even over designed). But yeah, repairing one is going to be an issue.

One nice thing about the body on frame Ford is it's only 14 bolts to get that body off (plus some wiring and tubing disconnects). The battery is 'floated' on the bottom cradle which isolates it from everything else. There is a lot of piping for sure, but nothing can be worse than working on a German car when it comes to access and packaging. Changing the AIR FILTER on a Panamera requires removing the FRONT BUMPER of the car!!
Yup, that was my take as well. It looks a very maintainable / repairable setup.
Sponsored