• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My First Tesla Charge Using A2ZEV NACS Adapter

sysop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas
But since they have no charger displays, you have to ask each person.
My neighbor has free super charging with his X, he will sit there until it's 100%. Same with a co-worker and an S. I'd guess that less people with 3 or Y have free super charging, probably best to camp next to one of them if you're waiting. Also look for the dirtiest car there in hopes they are a road warrior and get to 80% and leave.
Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
My A2Z will be here tomorrow and my Ford adapter won't be here until July. Just for giggles, I just went to the Tesla Super Charger Station about a mile away from me. It was 10 stalls and 2 Teslas were there charging. I first went to the furthest right station but a nearby curb would not allow me to get to the right enough to not take up some of the next space to the left of me. I then went to one of the middle pumps and aligned my truck to the right of the pump, just enough be inline with my charge port door. I had to pull 1 inch from my bumper hitting the pump, just to have enough length on the cable to be able to plug in. The cars were watching me closely and curiously as to what I was attempting to do, ha ha.

It's going to be an interesting challenge at some of these Tesla stations this summer. :unsure:

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I first went to the furthest right station but a nearby curb would not allow me to get to the right enough to not take up some of the next space to the left of me.
Dude, you bought an F150 not a MME, just hop up on it... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, it's definitely tricky, but you'll get the hang of it.

It certainly is going to be a fun summer. Just waiting for the first report of someone crashing into the charger.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Nice between 2, tires against curb. Mach-E can't do that.

Slick68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rapid Red Lightning, 68 Mustang, 17 Road Glide
They complained I was taking 2 spaces.
This is what gets me. It’s not like we’re sneaking around, doing something illegal. Tesla opened these chargers up to other OEM’s and so we are using them the only way we can. If they have an issue with the way we have to park to use the charger, take it up with Elon and corporate. The big boys exchanged the money and the handshakes, I’m just trying to charge my EV the same as other Tesla, Ford and Rivian drivers are. Give me the Stink-eye, I don’t care. 🤷

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
1 guy knew they were opened up. Rest were clueless.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If Teslas are using every other spot, seems like you could camp on a spot to the right of the one closest to being done.
And the space to the left, which you are blocking, can be occupied by an arriving Tesla who is able to charge as soon as you’re finished. Or, they can simply move if another space is available. Power-halving is a myth, on V3 Superchargers.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is what gets me. It’s not like we’re sneaking around, doing something illegal. Tesla opened these chargers up to other OEM’s and so we are using them the only way we can. If they have an issue with the way we have to park to use the charger, take it up with Elon and corporate. The big boys exchanged the money and the handshakes, I’m just trying to charge my EV the same as other Tesla, Ford and Rivian drivers are. Give me the Stink-eye, I don’t care. 🤷
Next time, tell the stink-eyes that you’re there because Tesla is giving free Supercharging to Fords!

Last edited:

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My neighbor has free super charging with his X, he will sit there until it's 100%. Same with a co-worker and an S. I'd guess that less people with 3 or Y have free super charging, probably best to camp next to one of them if you're waiting. Also look for the dirtiest car there in hopes they are a road warrior and get to 80% and leave.
DC fastcharging should be priced high enough to encourage use of Level 2 for ordinary local charging. L3 should be used for enabling long-distance driving, when it’s worth $.50-$1/kWh to have reliable access to DCFC.
And if the IRA was intended to expand availability of DCFC, it should have outlawed the practice of no-fee charging as a condition for receiving funds for building chargers.

ElKay55

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Max Tow, Iconic Silver
Occupation
Residential Contractor
Got my first Telsa experience with the A2Z adapter last week… I was close to climbing the curb with at the front to get close but still had a little slack on the cord with my front tires on the curb, bumper 1" from the adjacent pedestal…it is everything everyone report…it works!!!
Bye Bye EA/ VW crap chargers

Ford F-150 Lightning My First Tesla Charge Using A2ZEV NACS Adapter PTC superchargers.JPG

Sponsored

Slick68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rapid Red Lightning, 68 Mustang, 17 Road Glide
Got my A2Z adapter today. Can’t wait to give it a try!

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
DC fastcharging should be priced high enough to encourage use of Level 2 for ordinary local charging. L3 should be used for enabling long-distance driving, when it’s worth $.50-$1/kWh to have reliable access to DCFC.
Hard disagree on that point. I don't think we should keep EVs out of reach for the many people who's apartment owners refuse to put in L2 chargers. It also needs to not be significantly more expensive to take an EV on a road trip, as that is going to keep people from moving to EVs when an EV would still support their driving habits 95%+ of their yearly miles.

Keep it cheap, encourage the change. Bad behavior should be dealt with via idle fees if anything.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hard disagree on that point. I don't think we should keep EVs out of reach for the many people who's apartment owners refuse to put in L2 chargers. It also needs to not be significantly more expensive to take an EV on a road trip, as that is going to keep people from moving to EVs when an EV would still support their driving habits 95%+ of their yearly miles.

Keep it cheap, encourage the change. Bad behavior should be dealt with via idle fees if anything.
I think the main realities are technological more than economic.
First, today’s EVs are a miserable choice for apartment dwellers (especially those who live above 40deg N latitude). Ditto, for garage-lacking urban drivers. A garage (or at least a private driveway) is needed for charging and protection from cold temperatures. Few drivers are going to be so EV-motivated as to accept these critical flaws and inconveniences.
Second, no one of any demographic is going to want to (or even be able to) roadtrip EVs, if the pursuit of egalitarian inclusivity means that DC fast chargers are always occupied or otherwise unable to facilitate interstate automobile travel.
Best to let the free market sort it out. Case study, cellular telephone: in the beginning years, it was a very expensive tool for CEOs and the road-warrior sales force. Then the infrastructure spread and demand rose, and prices began to fall, and ultimately every teenage girl has one in the back pocket of her jeans.

Last edited:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Best to let the free market sort it out
There is no free market in the EV space. EVs themselves have been and continue to be subsidized. Charging infrastructure has been and continues to be subsidized. Some states are moving to EV only new car sales regulations. The market has been shackled and is unlikely to be liberated any time soon; until it is "free-market" solutions do not apply and will only serve to disenfranchise those that were enticed/duped/convinced to buy in to the market in it's current form.

I don't want this to digress into if "free market" is the best or not, that's a matter of opinion, but we all should recognize that free-market principals don't apply equitably to manipulated, captive, or mixed markets.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Well said. However, in uncharted territory, I’m inclined to fall back on free enterprise principles. We need to disenthrall ourselves from the idea that “everyone must drive an EV”- I think that the actions inspired by an urgent-must-stop-climate-change-now agenda have done more to set back electrification than advance it. Tesla grew more
rapidly in the absence of EV tax credits, for example, than since the IRA brought them back (to say nothing of the market manipulation effects of income caps, MSRP caps, content origin requirements, etc.). As you alluded, the genie is out of that bottle, but less government involvement in markets is always better than regulation and incentivized distortions, imho.
Sponsored