• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My Lightning came in today...I'm not going to buy it.

• Thread starter Deleted member 9811
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
C'mon man, filled out a form, plopped $100 down, then placed an order a few months later. I get the emotional investment, but placing an order requires almost no work so I don't understand this framing.
I guess Ford should have mandated a larger refundable deposit on orders?
Sponsored

RDeFran

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 SRW Duramax, 2010 M3
Occupation
Technician
I do have to agree the grille is a little cheap looking.

I did see a group of Rivian pickups and the SUV testing here two weeks ago. The size was very nice, kind of T100/Dakota mid size. They also look way, way better in person than photos. I would consider one.

The "too big" comment or opinion is the one that cracks me up. They make millions of these trucks every year, how is that a surprise. Reminds me of being g at Sea World and listening to people whine about getting wet while sitting in the clearly marked splash zone.

Ford F-150 Lightning My Lightning came in today...I'm not going to buy it. 20220513_092822

Ford F-150 Lightning My Lightning came in today...I'm not going to buy it. 20220513_092815

Ford F-150 Lightning My Lightning came in today...I'm not going to buy it. 20220513_092745

OP
OP

Deleted member 9811

I guess Ford should have mandated a larger refundable deposit on orders?
Why? At the end of the day, it is just a truck...nothing more, nothing less. Your emotional investment or desire is not mine to accept.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9811

I didn't whine about it, I just mentioned it was not my preference. There is a difference. LOL

My most recent full-size vehicle was a Yukon, which drove like a sofa. I was hoping this would feel different...which it did, but not enough to change my mind.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Why? At the end of the day, it is just a truck...nothing more, nothing less. Your emotional investment or desire is not mine to accept.
The MY2022 Lightning is a limited production vehicle. My point was that a larger deposit might have weeded out people who weren't as committed to following through with the purchase.

Trust me, my feelings aren't hurt that you didn't end up buying the truck. It is unfortunate that your order didn't go to someone who would have been more likely to take it. Instead, it's going to a dealer who will mark it up for thousands of dollars.

Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
For reference, I ordered a Ford Lariat ER. I drive a 21' Volvo XC 90, a 21' 2 dr Bronco...so you know how to interpret my opinion based on what I drive.

I have to say, I was disappointed with how it looked, felt, and drove in Sport mode, especially for the $80K price tag.

The Good:
-The truck is quick. It is very quick from the start, fast at 45 MPH, and fast at 65MPH. No matter your speed, when you put the pedal down...it just moves and climbs quickly.
-It corners well, really well. I felt stupid confident on exit ramps, even at speed, with the truck. It stayed seated and felt like it was on rails.
-The plugs, ports, etc are great.
-The frunk is ample and I love that use of space.
-Driving in Normal Mode was great and felt good.

The Bad:-The front end and grill look very cheap, and I was very underwhelmed, especially for an $80k vehicle.
-The wheels look terrible.
-Sport mode was fast, but I hated how it drove. The truck lunged too much and any relief off the "gas"pedal, caused it to slow dramitcally (it was not in 1-pedal mode)
-Personal Preference, they made this vehicle way too big.

Overall, I would really like it in the $50K range, but at $80K, I just can't make the connection.

I hope this doesn't rain on anybody's parade.
I think @rugbysecondrow should be congratulated for making a hard choice when his Lightning finally came in.

He has a fairly new 2021 Bronco (unknown mileage) valued at $70K+ and a 2021 Volvo XC 90 valued at around $50K.

Maybe he still has payments, maybe not. But, really, how many newish vehicles does one really need?

Many of us have/had reservations/orders for the Lightning/Rivian/Cybertruck/Silverado-E and at some point we also will have to decide which one to spend money on.

As to buying it and then flipping, maybe he cannot use the tax credit or does not want another debt. It is none of our business. Maybe he wants to help his "smaller dealership" by letting them resell it. Maybe he is not greedy?

But, overall, I applaud his post, and then staying with it for the past couple of days. Maybe it will help some of the rest of us make a hard decision when our time comes.

Ford F-150 Lightning My Lightning came in today...I'm not going to buy it. Bronco.PNG

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I think there are compromises in every vehicle. Size, capability, styling, price, reliability, service, etc. The list could go on for a country mile and each person will weight those attributes differently. Most people here probably take issue with the OP's stance at this point because some of these gripes could have been assessed before ordering the vehicle.

FWIW I'm also in the "this truck is too big" camp, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make since the Lightning is really the only game in town right now for an EV truck. I drove an identically sized PB Lariat last November in attempt to see if the size would be a dealbreaker. With the 360 camera, I think I can make it work. If not, I'll sell it and get something else. I'll be first in line for a Ranger or Rivian sized pickup though.

I think the jerky driving behavior is likely just not being used to an EV's strong regen. Strangely, I think one-pedal driving is one of the best unsung features of an EV since it reduces driving effort so much. I sometimes wish my Model S had even stronger regen so I could use the friction brakes even less.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9811

FWIW I'm also in the "this truck is too big" camp, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make since the Lightning is really the only game in town right now for an EV truck. I drove an identically sized PB Lariat last November in attempt to see if the size would be a dealbreaker. With the 360 camera, I think I can make it work. If not, I'll sell it and get something else. I'll be first in line for a Ranger or Rivian sized pickup though.
This. I thought I would be able to make the compromise, but I wasn't able to. You and others might be able to, which would be great. it just wasn't for me.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Off Topic

@rugbysecondrow Is there a story to go with your avatar? It looks like a 1964 Chevy C10 Stepside with the smaller rear window.

The first vehicle I ever drove/owned was a '63 C10, small window, 230 c.i. straight six, 3-on-the-tree. It was one of those '1% trucks'. My father bought it used in 1965 to tow the boat he bought because the 1959 Pontiac Chieftain wasn't up to towing. Then, he used the truck to haul the woodworking tools home from Sears. He needed them to replace the oak bed after it rotted out from sitting around waiting to tow the boat. He said he could buy a radial arm saw and table saw and all the rest for under the $400 they wanted to replace the bed. I still have the tools.

He sold me the truck when I turned 16 for $300 of paperboy money. I drove it all through the '70s. I learned how to fix just about anything from fixing that truck. When they put up the poll this morning about, "Have you driven/owned a full-sized truck?", I answered "no". To me, those older trucks look small sitting next to today's vehicles. I've been driving a tiny 2000 Frontier for 22 years. The Lariat will be the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought by a factor of 3x. I know that I'll enjoy it, but I'm quite sure the next vehicle I buy will be smaller.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think there are compromises in every vehicle. Size, capability, styling, price, reliability, service, etc. The list could go on for a country mile and each person will weight those attributes differently. Most people here probably take issue with the OP's stance at this point because some of these gripes could have been assessed before ordering the vehicle.

I think the jerky driving behavior is likely just not being used to an EV's strong regen. Strangely, I think one-pedal driving is one of the best unsung features of an EV since it reduces driving effort so much. I sometimes wish my Model S had even stronger regen so I could use the friction brakes even less.
This almost what I did. Traded in my Model 3 for an ICE F-150 knowing the EV was coming. Truck values usually don’t go down in my area plus it was right before the “chip shortage” so $10k off. Drove it around, fell in love and now waiting on the perfect daily/family car/hauler.

If it would not have worked out the plan was to get a Model Y. Luckily everything I. That truck was better than Tesla, except the powertrain, but even that could be debated depending on gas prices :LOL:

Sponsored

fubar79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT ER
OP, It's good to hear different opinions. We all don't have to agree and it blows my mind when one person can't understand why another person doesn't agree with another's personal choice, taste, rhyme or reason.

I too have reservations about the front grill.

I too have reservations about the size of the Lightning, I'm worried it will be too small. My current F150 has a 6.5' box, and while I don't fill it the majority of the time, it is nice when I have to put my ATV or any other large objects in it. But I will manage, and probably appreciate the SHORTER turning radius then my current F150. I believe I am in the minority with a 6.5' box, so that was probably an easy choice for Ford in regards to the Lightning.

Your dealership should be thanking you.

Cheers.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Sure think I still would have taken it home and listed on carsandbids shortly thereafter.
^^^^ YES!!! EXACTLY!!

I think money or financing was a potential factor here.

I mean after waiting this long...and then not closing the deal even if you were going to flip it the next day? Really? Because "Sport mode".....Not buyin' that...

Mike

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
I respect the OP’s honest opinion and made the same decision with respect to value proposition on order day. Fortunately I was first wave and was able to order a Pro which I think is a good value proposition. Hopefully I like it after purchase, if not it will get sold and I’ll move on to something else.

I drive a crew cab 1500 truck daily for work (construction), if I didn’t need one I would drive something smaller like my 2 door Bronco or my wife’s Tacoma. I think many people in urban areas coming from small cars will have an issue with the size, but many who are emotionally invested will nut up and deal with it. My 1500 work truck can be challenging in metro Boston, but anywhere outside of the city or on Cape Cod isn’t generally is issue.
This almost what I did. Traded in my Model 3 for an ICE F-150 knowing the EV was coming. Truck values usually don’t go down in my area plus it was right before the “chip shortage” so $10k off. Drove it around, fell in love and now waiting on the perfect daily/family car/hauler.

If it would not have worked out the plan was to get a Model Y. Luckily everything I. That truck was better than Tesla, except the powertrain, but even that could be debated depending on gas prices :LOL:
Yes Sir F150rod. Exactly what U R thinking...same here. To me it's a powerboost, but in electric form...I think anyway.

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
For reference, I ordered a Ford Lariat ER. I drive a 21' Volvo XC 90, a 21' 2 dr Bronco...so you know how to interpret my opinion based on what I drive.

I have to say, I was disappointed with how it looked, felt, and drove in Sport mode, especially for the $80K price tag.

The Good:
-The truck is quick. It is very quick from the start, fast at 45 MPH, and fast at 65MPH. No matter your speed, when you put the pedal down...it just moves and climbs quickly.
-It corners well, really well. I felt stupid confident on exit ramps, even at speed, with the truck. It stayed seated and felt like it was on rails.
-The plugs, ports, etc are great.
-The frunk is ample and I love that use of space.
-Driving in Normal Mode was great and felt good.

The Bad:-The front end and grill look very cheap, and I was very underwhelmed, especially for an $80k vehicle.
-The wheels look terrible.
-Sport mode was fast, but I hated how it drove. The truck lunged too much and any relief off the "gas"pedal, caused it to slow dramitcally (it was not in 1-pedal mode)
-Personal Preference, they made this vehicle way too big.

Overall, I would really like it in the $50K range, but at $80K, I just can't make the connection.

I hope this doesn't rain on anybody's parade.
Rubysecondrow, Thank you for your feedback. Reviews, both positive and negative, are important for the integrity of this site and to provide 3rd party opinions to those investigating a potential purchase. Enjoy your Bronco!

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
It doesn't rain on anybody's parade as I am sure no vehicle is suitable for "everyone." I think you could've purcahsed it, taken the tax credit than sold for 20k over the MSRP and pocketed some money. I'd be stunned if the dealership doesn't do exactly that.

The only concern that you brought up that surprised me was the size issue. That could've easily been checked by test driving an ICE F150, or just sitting in one. I happen to agree wrt to the grill and I don't like the light bar either. THe wheels, in pictures, I'm meh, not sure, wanna see them in person. I may live with meh wheels for the sake of range until a range friendly aftermarket alternative shows but I probably won't even do that.

Well anyway, always good to read a differing perspective and sorry it didn't suit you. I am sure it was a bit disapponting after the wait. Best of luck.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.