• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

On board Navigation really that Bad??

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
@Firestop Sorry to be dense here, but I'm finding ABRP difficult to use.

When you say you are using OBD linked ABRP, do you mean ABRP is running on the truck, or your phone? What OBD dongle do you have? Connecting over bluetooth or BLE?

I can't even save ABRP routes, how do you auto-import them to Waze? And again, "wireless carplay", is this the truck? Bluetooth?

Switching back and forth, on the center panel or your phone app?

Again, apologies for not understanding this stuff. Truck is being built today! So I can't experiment. So far I can create an ABRP route on my PC and see it in ABRP on my phone. But no Waze integration yet.
Your “Ok”….I’m learning this stuff as I go…something new every day!

I run ABRP on my iPhone and have an OBDlink CX OBD installed on my truck linked via BLE to my iPhone and “linked” as a real-time data source within the ABRP app. The app displays on my truck’s Sync 4a screen via wireless CarPlay.

I toggle between ABRP and Waze on the truck’s Sync 4a screen while it’s running (within) CarPlay.

ABRP has a “Share” feature in its iapp version route planning menu that requires four (4) menu “taps”:

Ford F-150 Lightning On board Navigation really that Bad?? A64D2255-368B-4C6F-BF02-99AF2881EC70

Ford F-150 Lightning On board Navigation really that Bad?? 3F820E6A-592F-4DB7-801B-149521B45615

Ford F-150 Lightning On board Navigation really that Bad?? 5C08BBC0-3642-46B3-BFC5-AD9B88C86B61

Ford F-150 Lightning On board Navigation really that Bad?? F5B1E359-C156-430D-B360-DE6787357FB9
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Um I may be the only one and I will tell y that Ford NAV has always been somewhat less desireable. The Lightning nav works fine, nothing wrong with it at all. I think most people prefer their NAV a certain way. I know I do and have always loved the Garmin display, for some reason I feel like I have to see elevation, not a feature on a lot of navs.

I would tell you to actually use it, dont compare it to some phone app NAV, thats not an apples to apples comparison. Compare it to other vehicle navs and make your opinion based on that.
I do love that the Ford nav screen gives you elevation, but for some reason only when you don't have an active route. I like to swap screens and check it (using Google maps for nav)

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the method to link (add) an available ODB BLE-compliant device as a live data source. Tap #2 will bring up a window where ABRP will search for available BLE devices that you can select from…and will go through a linking routine. The app will remember the device to which it was previously linked for future use sessions.

I do find relinking the ODBLink CX to the ABRP iApp each time I get into my truck can be temperamental.…I’ve learned to check the app before driving (simple check within the app). If it fails, I just unplug/reinsert the dongle and it connects to the app. I leave the dongle inserted most of the time as it has a power down mode where it goes to sleep about 5 mins after shutting off the truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning On board Navigation really that Bad?? EC007A8C-3595-419C-8ACF-3169FDB79A32

The Rogue Robot

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Paper pusher
Dear Ford,

If I input a charger as my destination, even if I have low range, but have enough to get there, don’t change the directions and point me to a j-1772 plug just because it’s closer. 45 minutes vs 2 days isn’t a good trade off.
Fix your navigation system. This makes it unusable.

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
This is the method to link (add) an available ODB BLE-compliant device as a live data source. Tap #2 will bring up a window where ABRP will search for available BLE devices that you can select from…and will go through a linking routine. The app will remember the device to which it was previously linked for future use sessions.

I do find relinking the ODBLink CX to the ABRP iApp each time I get into my truck can be temperamental.…I’ve learned to check the app before driving (simple check within the app). If it fails, I just unplug/reinsert the dongle and it connects to the app. I leave the dongle inserted most of the time as it has a power down mode where it goes to sleep about 5 mins after shutting off the truck.

EC007A8C-3595-419C-8ACF-3169FDB79A32.jpeg
ABRP sees the CX, but fails ot connect after 10 seconds, far before the timeout. Torque connects to the CX just fine... This is on Android. Any thoughts?

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ABRP sees the CX, but fails ot connect after 10 seconds, far before the timeout. Torque connects to the CX just fine... This is on Android. Any thoughts?
I’ve noticed ABRP doesn’t like to share simultaneous connections to my CX with other Apps….at least it doesn’t like to share with CarScanner. I’ve also noticed it will periodically break connection and reconnect during a drive

Try turning off Torque Pro so it doesn’t try to auto connect (if it does) just connecting ABRP……

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
Try to find a Walmart in a city a hundred miles away.

Reactions: GDN

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
Question, from what I read, the ODBLink CX is for “bimmercode”, I.e. BMW’s? What am I missing?

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Question, from what I read, the ODBLink CX is for “bimmercode”, I.e. BMW’s? What am I missing?
Yes, it has this software integration; however, it works fine on my Lightning using it with The CarScanner and ABRP iApps. It transmits using BLE, which is the type of Bluetooth ABRP requires. The ODBLink MX will not transmit to ABRP……

Sponsored

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
so does this basically provide android and/or ios integration with the console? Can you put google maps or ABRP up on the screen in the lightning instead of using the ford navigation? Sorry for the stupid questions..

Yes, it has this software integration; however, it works fine on my Lightning using it with The CarScanner and ABRP iApps. It transmits using BLE, which is the type of Bluetooth ABRP requires. The ODBLink MX will not transmit to ABRP……

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
so does this basically provide android and/or ios integration with the console? Can you put google maps or ABRP up on the screen in the lightning instead of using the ford navigation? Sorry for the stupid questions..
Hey, there are no stupid questions….we’re all learning here!

Yes, though my understanding is you can’t use Ford’s navigation and CarPlay/Android Auto navigation apps in that way (I haven’t used Ford’s navigation since I got my truck in late July…I’ve never been able to get it to work on my FordPass app🤔).

Before my trips, I use ABRP to help plan my route in conjunction with PlugShare, and then directly export that route from ABRP to Waze.

I use Waze and ABRP simultaneously via Wireless CarPlay during my trips. Waze is my primary Navigation/traffic app and to keep aware of real-time traffic impacts on my route.

I use ABRP to monitor the current SoC of my HVB and their estimation of my SoC upon arrival at my destination aided by live data from my truck via OBDLink CX and the ABRP’s use of live weather, traffic, and trip routing.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Dear Ford,

If I input a charger as my destination, even if I have low range, but have enough to get there, don’t change the directions and point me to a j-1772 plug just because it’s closer. 45 minutes vs 2 days isn’t a good trade off.
Fix your navigation system. This makes it unusable.
Since they have no idea the status of the DCFC's (working vs non-working) and I've not seen a toggle to be able to tell the system to only find DCFC's, not Level 1 and 2 chargers they will never be able to do any better. Likely the whole reason for this thread.

I use the truck Nav on occasion around town for a 20 minute drive, but never for a drive I need a charger on.

Much much work needed in this area.

The Rogue Robot

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Paper pusher
Since they have no idea the status of the DCFC's (working vs non-working) and I've not seen a toggle to be able to tell the system to only find DCFC's, not Level 1 and 2 chargers they will never be able to do any better. Likely the whole reason for this thread.

I use the truck Nav on occasion around town for a 20 minute drive, but never for a drive I need a charger on.

Much much work needed in this area.
this was a very specific scenario. We had pushed a little too far, and got to a DCFC EA station that wouldn’t communicate. We only had around 12 miles left and needed 22 to get to the next charger. We used an L2 to get enough range, input the location of the next charger, drove slower at 55 and drafted behind a semi (2.8 mi/kWh+). The ford maps app redirected us. I was watching with my phone and Apple Maps and ABRP.
The ford map decided that a L2 charger that was closer was where we needed to stop, and didn’t warn us when it made the change.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Ford navigation is good for its graphics, especially showing lanes at exits. I usually put the route into the Ford nav, then confirm the route with Google Maps before I use it, because it will choose longer routes, sometimes stupidly longer.

Then I run Google maps on my phone and check it every so often for traffic changes. If traffic backs up, and another route becomes preferable, I trust Google to tell me before I trust Ford.
Sponsored