• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Placed Cybertruck order after Lightning reservation

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I'm seeing lots of people on Twitter posting their Model X orders getting delayed another 6+ months, people with Spring 2021 orders now looking at Spring 2023 delivery. Tesla can't even make the vehicles they have. There's no way the Cybertruck is coming out next year. I'm thinking 2025.
Yes I ordered Model X Long Range 7 seater on 5/11/21, right before Lightning Day, delivery date was just pushed from July to December-April.

So I will get Lightning (build date 8/15) first for sure. Will flip the Model X since I don't need it as both my wife and I work from home.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I too have a CT on order and did a lot of research to finally decide on the Lightning. The Lightning is "real" and I think the CT is 2-3 years away. However, as an engineer I really respect the Tesla manufacturing line which is much more cutting edge than Ford's, e.g. 4D AI controlled hexagonal robotic assembly, few stops on line if a problem develops and the line can easily mix options and even engineering changes with ease.

However, I would not count Musk/Tesla out as they do seem to be able to accomplish the seemingly impossible. Tesla's manufacturing line is a lot more scalable without labor than Fords IMHO. I'd say Fords is a bottoms up approach using union labor and robotics where needed. Tesla is a re-engineered tops down robotics and software approach vs human labor.

The CT is the truck I'd want to be in if we have the zombie apocalypse at the rate society and the world is going.💀 In the meantime I think we will immensely enjoy the capabilities of the Lightning starting this year. It seems to be a race car, utility truck, massive high mileage 6,000+ pound tank, and comfort pleasure passenger vehicle all rolled into one.

The biggest danger to Tesla achieving their promised goals is Musk himself getting involved in politics which is a no-win game. He should stick to technology and vision which he seems to be very good at. Politics is not his forte IMHO and it distracts his companies, pisses off many customers, not to mention causing his employees and investors to lose a fortune. I think the last few week Tesla 50B$ personal loss, this weeks Veritas twitter video leak mocking his medical issue, and Teslas removal from the S&P 500s ESG index threw Musk over the edge. This combined with his extreme workaholic lifestyle has caused him to lose focus. So right now I have more confidence in Ford delivering but I do hope Tesla succeeds on the CT. And some day perhaps a ride on his rocket 🚀

I'm definitely not a Tesla hater, I hope he does it but I think it's unrealistic to expect it in 2023 at this point. It's not so much that they *couldn't* do it but it's not the right business move to do it until the 3/Y production starts getting stabilized, let alone S/X. Those are the money makers that keep the company growing. The CT is a niche product, it's not an F-150 or a Model 3. Even if it could sell 100K/yr, the effort to get it launched is taking away from maximizing their existing products.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Oh boy, looks like Cybertruck might even be further delayed by distraction of Elongate breaking news. Wish he would stick to technology. In this case extra horsepower did not serve him well. ;)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm definitely not a Tesla hater, I hope he does it but I think it's unrealistic to expect it in 2023 at this point. It's not so much that they *couldn't* do it but it's not the right business move to do it until the 3/Y production starts getting stabilized, let alone S/X. Those are the money makers that keep the company growing. The CT is a niche product, it's not an F-150 or a Model 3. Even if it could sell 100K/yr, the effort to get it launched is taking away from maximizing their existing products.
But the Tesla fan boys keep telling me it will sell 3 million+ the first year!

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But the Tesla fan boys keep telling me it will sell 3 million+ the first year!
Well there are 2-3M pre-orders with 100$ deposit! The Osborn effect still holds though and can kill a business. Ford seems to be cognizant of this and is keeping to their announced plan so far. The danger is the screwed up supply chain but they've announced what product is getting the priority. :)

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well there are 2-3M pre-orders with 100$ deposit! The Osborn effect still holds though and can kill a business. Ford so far is cognizant of this and is keeping to their announced plan so far.
As far as I know, that is far from an official number. They got it by looking at the highest and lowest reservation ID numbers - and we all know how reliable those numbers are!

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

tkittlitz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14Ram1500ED, 20FordEscapeHybrid, 22LightningOrder

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I can smell the jealousy in the cybertruck forum right now. seeing many posts about how the lightning doesn't stack up to the cybertruck which might be true. but at the end of the day, the lightning exists and the cybertruck does not.
Sponsored