• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
now that everyone has come out with their ev offering, sierra denali ev is the only other one i could see myself in before second gen lightning comes off the line.

the sierra denali and a volvo ex90 for the wife are the only reservations i've held on to.

to build their whole campaign around a revolution and then roll out this as their production model seems like a big dud and misfire on ram's part.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Too bad the pass through didn’t make it to production. Also I was really hoping ram would use the tesla connector. Giving themselves access to superchargers would have been a HUGE selling feature even if the range wasn’t the best in class.
Just a reminder that using the Tesla connector, just by itself, doesn't give you access to the Tesla network. That would have to be a separately negotiated agreement with Tesla and use Tesla software/communications links.

IMO, CCS is the way to go - that is what the industry is standardizing to.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT, 13 Raptor, 13 X5M, 03 Excursion
As someone that works in the industry(advertising), this is a very well done and clever ad designed to get attention and push some buttons. As someone who's interested in EVs, it's worthless as it says nothing about the actual product. It's good to see a more reasonable looking RAM EV though, the concept was ridiculous.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
The range extender is interesting for towing, assuming the truck still has 300 miles via battery. But if it's like most plug in hybrids where the all battery range is like ~50 miles, not interested. With all those extra systems in place to support a range extender, I'd still need to see at least a 1500-1600 payload and 10k towing to be interested.

I did pay the 100 bux to get in line for the real line later. I also have a res out there for the EV Silverado but that's a no go unless they can get their payload way over 1300.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
That nicer interior may only be for their top of the line trim. Same goes for the 4 wheel steering and air suspension..probably only available in highest trim.
That's to be expected. Not everyone wants the fancy stuff, anyway.

We had a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited prior to the Lightning and the interior finishes were infinitely better than the Lightning Platinum.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The range extender is interesting for towing, assuming the truck still has 300 miles via battery. But if it's like most plug in hybrids where the all battery range is like ~50 miles, not interested.
The limited information I've heard so far is that the range extender will be an option that will be offered on the REV which implies the battery will still be intact.

I'd be satisfied if they offered an option that let you charge with a generator in the bed while driving (kind of like the Ford patent that came out last year, but open for use with any generator).

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Personally, I do a decent amount of towing with my vehicle so I am intrigued by the range extender.
Per Dodge, the range extender is a Gas Engine they will add to their Dodge RAM EV.

They have not said how they will mate a Gas Engine to the Electric drivetrain, or, how big the gas tank will be.

I am assuming you will lose the frunk.

The point is, no one has made magic batteries - yet. So I would expect the Ram will have about 300-315 miles of range. Much like the Rivian and Lightning. And someway to kick over to the gas engine when you run low on juice.

I wonder how much that option will cost? An additional $15,000 maybe?

Gaalpwrd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning #183/887, Lariat LR Antimatter
Occupation
Building stuff
Too bad the pass through didn’t make it to production. Also I was really hoping ram would use the tesla connector. Giving themselves access to superchargers would have been a HUGE selling feature even if the range wasn’t the best in class.
I would gave been on board for this, especially with how congested current DCFC are becoming (and will continue to do so).

I've been debating the reservation but it's for a truck that I know essentially nothing about. At least when Ford did this we had a rough idea of specs/price/etc. I just feel like I know nothing at this point and they want me to pay $100 to be part of the fan to maybe get a seat in line.

One thing that did surprise me was I believe the REV was sporting 8 lugs, which is normally reserved for you heavier duty trucks, but I was a few drinks in at that point and my counting could be suspect.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I've owned 8 Fords so far, so it will take quite a bit for me to jump ship. The F-150 has been the leader for over 40 years for a reason. They know how to build great trucks. I like the styling, functionality, and above all I like the company itself.

Even if it turns out objectively better than today's Lightning, I'm assuming Ford will continue to improve the Lightning, so it will be 1st gen RAM against 2nd gen F-150.

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ideally the range extender would be a generator optimized for efficiency that fills the battery. If it's a 10kW generator (for example), and the truck is drawing 25kWs at 65mph from a 125kWh battery, then the extender would add about 80kW over 8 hours for a total range of 540 miles.

So, 325 miles without the extender, 540 miles with a 10kW generator (if you run the generator the whole time) and roughly 11 gallons of gas to run the generator.

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
They have not said how they will mate a Gas Engine to the Electric drivetrain, or, how big the gas tank will be.
It'll probably just be an onboard generator and not mechanically attached to the wheels.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Per Dodge, the range extender is a Gas Engine they will add to their Dodge RAM EV.

I am assuming you will lose the frunk.

The point is, no one has made magic batteries - yet. So I would expect the Ram will have about 300-315 miles of range. Much like the Rivian and Lightning. And someway to kick over to the gas engine when you run low on juice.

I wonder how much that option will cost? An additional $15,000 maybe?
There's no way the range extender will cost that much. Looking at the closest example of an EV available with or without a range extender, the bmw i3 had a $4k upcharge. I'd guess the Ram will be 10k or less. Or if they manage to so something similar to Ford with a module that can be dropped into the bed/frunk temporarily.

As far as range. No there aren't magic batteries, however there are efficiency gains that can be done. I think we will see how GM is able to work with an original design and what sort of efficiency they can obtain and then if RAM will be able to match or exceed that. It will just end up having a larger battery. They can cut weight in other areas to make up for the difference, or possibly even offer a single motor version. We will just have to see.

Right now the ER lightning would be doable for me if it weren't for cost and charging times. The real world towing on the SR is only about 70miles and there are several routes that I take where chargers aren't that often currently. If there's a base Silverado that gets 300 miles EPA range and can be recharged to 80% in 20ish minutes (not 45). And it can be had for between $50-60k. I'm in. Time will tell what the final specs on the ram will be and how it compares to the Silverado and the lightning. Also we will see if Ford has any details on the next gen lightning by the time Ram is starting delivery.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
There's no way the range extender will cost that much. Looking at the closest example of an EV available with or without a range extender, the bmw i3 had a $4k upcharge. I'd guess the Ram will be 10k or less. Or if they manage to so something similar to Ford with a module that can be dropped into the bed/frunk temporarily.

As far as range. No there aren't magic batteries, however there are efficiency gains that can be done. I think we will see how GM is able to work with an original design and what sort of efficiency they can obtain and then if RAM will be able to match or exceed that. It will just end up having a larger battery. They can cut weight in other areas to make up for the difference, or possibly even offer a single motor version. We will just have to see.

Right now the ER lightning would be doable for me if it weren't for cost and charging times. The real world towing on the SR is only about 70miles and there are several routes that I take where chargers aren't that often currently. If there's a base Silverado that gets 300 miles EPA range and can be recharged to 80% in 20ish minutes (not 45). And it can be had for between $50-60k. I'm in. Time will tell what the final specs on the ram will be and how it compares to the Silverado and the lightning. Also we will see if Ford has any details on the next gen lightning by the time Ram is starting delivery.
I will let you know how it goes with the ER Lightning. I should take delivery of mine by April 1st.

I am not waiting for the Silverado or RAM, even though I have a rez for both. I already have waited since November 2019 for the CyberTruck. Time to pull the trigger.

PS I hope they all succeed. But, I don't expect a big jump in range anytime in the next 2 years, by Ford, GM or Dodge. They make cars. They are not battery experts.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I will let you know how it goes with the ER Lightning. I should take delivery of mine by April 1st.

I am not waiting for the Silverado or RAM, even though I have a rez for both. I already have waited since November 2019 for the CyberTruck. Time to pull the trigger.

PS I hope they all succeed. But, I don't expect a big jump in range anytime in the next 2 years, by Ford, GM or Dodge. They make cars. They are not battery experts.
No they aren't battery experts, they are buying their batteries from battery experts, same as everyone else.
Sponsored