• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Agree that not starting/pre conditioning the truck didn't let the truck know I was ready to drive, but any EV with the right monitoring will monitor the motor and battery and start the cooling any time it is needed based on the environment.

I will note on the hot days with it over 100 degrees in the garage and you come in and park the Tesla - the cooling systems will run some additional time, I've seen it for a couple of hours. The truck, even last night when parking it in the garage, did not continue to run in any manner. Maybe we are just learning. I trust Ford is getting good critical feedback from the trucks and perhaps from incidents like mine and will be able to implement cooling when needed even if parked. Others have done it and are just protecting the car. We also don't know that heat was a related factor yet in my error message.
Thats something that I have also noticed, that in my garage 100+ temps, the Truck makes no noise, but my Model 3 would often make sounds with what I assume was cooling down batteries.

Out of curiosity, how many miles were on the Truck when you picked it up from the dealer?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Thats something that I have also noticed, that in my garage 100+ temps, the Truck makes no noise, but my Model 3 would often make sounds with what I assume was cooling down batteries.

Out of curiosity, how many miles were on the Truck when you picked it up from the dealer?
My truck had 50 miles even on it when they pulled it around to me. I figure a few of those were put on by the dealer and delivery. I don't know if I had any factory testing. I didn't have any kind of notice in or on the truck as some have noted. Even if it was there my dealer could have removed it.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
My truck had 50 miles even on it when they pulled it around to me. I figure a few of those were put on by the dealer and delivery. I don't know if I had any factory testing. I didn't have any kind of notice in or on the truck as some have noted. Even if it was there my dealer could have removed it.
Right in line with mine at 51 miles. I am 3k plus miles so far with no issues but I am definitely keeping an eye on your situation. No software updates yet right?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

I don't know if the truck does any monitoring or any adjustments to cooling IF its not in a preconditioning mode, driving, or plugged in charging(esp DCFC).

I would *think* that the trip planner(?) function where you get it ready for departure would do this. Not giving Ford a pass here.. just troubleshooting why it may have occurred. Also, even if it was too hot..why did the driving not cool it down?

Then again..if I park my truck in long term parking at the airport..do I really want it randomly heating/cooling the battery for the entire time I am gone?

I think in the meantime it may be good practice to always use the precondition/trip planner function in both extreme hot and extreme cold weather so the battery can be heated/cooled prior to departure.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
How long is your drive home? Was the drive at highway speeds(battery cooling)? When you got into the truck to go home..had you preconditioned it in any way?

I'm just thinking the battery got too hot and went into reduced power to protect itself. It should however have cooled down as you drove home.

Whoa. This may be a learning moment for me.

You can precondition a vehicle without it being plugged in and charging?

Sponsored
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Right in line with mine at 51 miles. I am 3k plus miles so far with no issues but I am definitely keeping an eye on your situation. No software updates yet right?
No SW updates.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I *thought* there was a way you could tell the vehicle to get ready by inputting your departure time. I know Mach E can do this...

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-i-add-departure-times-for-electric-vehicles/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/remote-start-vs-departure-time.10879/

**I do think departure times not only heats and cools cabin, but can also heat/cool battery prior to departure.

Again you would have to confirm this Mach E feature is present on the Lightning..idk

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
You can only precondition while plugged in using the departure feature as far as I know.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

Same here - I thought preconditioning required you to be connected to shore power.

My wife's PHEV can precondition but requires connection to L2 power source.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I *thought* there was a way you could tell the vehicle to get ready by inputting your departure time. I know Mach E can do this...

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-i-add-departure-times-for-electric-vehicles/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/remote-start-vs-departure-time.10879/
I believe that is for when you are at home and plugged in and charging. It will use shore power to condition the car for the drive and time the charging to be complete at your departure time.

To say the least - I'd like to keep the thread a little cleaner and focused on the problem. I've replied to other posts too, but realize that reporting a fix and information for others down the road is going to get lost in several pages of posts about us (me included) about how the truck might or might not cool.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can only precondition while plugged in using the departure feature as far as I know.
Apparently with Mach E some people have gotten it to work with the car *not* charging.(Is there an option to allow this in settings..idk)

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ioning-does-not-work-if-not-plugged-in.14573/

Thats the last I'll suggest it..just sayin it *may* be a good way to help mitigate a potential hot battery issue. I do still think something is wrong with OPs truck if it did not cool down quickly when the truck started driving.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
I have been leaving my evs on or plugged in. I think the battery likes it. I know I do when I get back in.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Quick update on my truck - it is still in the shop, I dropped it off a week ago today. I don't have a lot to say other than it is a slow process.

The dealer tested a few things and was ready to give it back writing it off as an anomaly. Engineering pushed them to check more and the dealer determined they found a bad sensor; Tuesday I think that was. Estimated part time 7 to 8 days. Engineering pushed them again believing there truly could be a leak, I believe a field engineer will be on site tomorrow to do a review.

I'm still not clear which AC system the error is on.

I've been patient still knowing it is all new and knowing that engineering is involved and learning, hoping it could fix or improve future trucks.

By end of day tomorrow though I'm hopeful for a final plan of action and time frame for repair.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
If the truck wasn't started(pre conditioned) or being driven even a seconf cooling system wouldn't be working. Again just a guess here...a check with the dealer/Lightning engineering probably a good idea. (Esp since it didn't cool downonce OP started driving)
Are you sure? Teslas maintain battery temperature while parked. Dunno about the hot end of things but you pretty much have to on the cold end - the battery could be permanently damaged by freezing

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I've been patient still knowing it is all new and knowing that engineering is involved and learning, hoping it could fix or improve future trucks.
My wife’s 2019 Expedition (with 19K miles) has been in the shop 4 weeks, with Ford saying it will be at least 3 more months before they can ship a back ordered transmission. Dealer says they’ll try and order all components to instead rebuild the transmission … in half that time.

Point being, Ford service these days requires patience … putting it mildly… regardless of new engineering, etc.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.