• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
So what I am trying to figure out is why so many here have pushed for the 80% mark. I too have set mine to 90%, and might adjust it further to 95%.

Just wondering where this number of 80% actually came from.
I think this came from a throwaway comment that Elon Musk made a couple years ago about lithium ion battery life being best served if charge levels are maintained between 20% and 80%, and if he was trying to lengthen his own battery life, he'd never go over 80% for daily use - except when supercharging on road trips. A lot of folks on the Tesla forums took that as gospel and it has spread on the interwebz.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Maybe actual research testing over the last 12 years to include cycle life and calendar life? But what would I know about it?
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. Just seems that this 80% comes from somewhere, but WHERE? Just things I like to know.

On a different note: Making a battery that one should only charge to 80% is like the moronic quartermasters and contractors that design a 30 round magazine for an M-16/M-4, but tell you not to put the full 30 rounds in the magazine, but still gives you a clip that has 10 rounds on it.

Last edited:

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Take a look at what I do and some of my previous posts. I have posted on how to make your battery live (almost) forever but I don't plan on following all of my own advice.

What I do is testing on the cell level. I can see the actual effect of cycling delta and temperature. I have 12 years of data saying 20%-80%, at 25C, and low currents will allow the cell to have much less degradation.

Most of the rest of this post was going to go into much greater detail about all the hidden capacity that you never know about which is why those driving EVs for years charging to 100% state as fact that they never had degradation in a battery. They do, just don't get to see it from the overall SOC and miles driven.
See. That is all I was asking for. It's like when people say "I read that X" but never say where "X" came from. Just something someone heard back when, but isn't actually true or doesn't have data supporting it.

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
They made this way too confusing. Just add one charge setting and make it adjustable via app (and car). No wonder every Lightning on the lot is sitting at 100%.

Reactions: GDN

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
They made this way too confusing. Just add one charge setting and make it adjustable via app (and car). No wonder every Lightning on the lot is sitting at 100%.
Ford’s pre-delivery instructions to the dealer tell them to charge to 100% when prepping for customer delivery. They probably do it before selling it just to get it out of the way.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Ford’s pre-delivery instructions to the dealer tell them to charge to 100% when prepping for customer delivery. They probably do it before selling it just to get it out of the way.
I found NFS demo models sitting at 100%, or like 20%. Pretty typical for dealerships to ignore the charge guidelines though, not just Ford.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Well more confusion here. The car seems.to require “use preferred charge settings” selected in the truck for each charge location in order or not charge past the limit (it just went past my limit tonight). No mention of this setting in the truck’s Charge menu.

Entering the Charging Locations menu in the truck reverts the location in the app to “charge when plugged in”

dgargano

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
IT Manager
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I was really frustrated thinking that I couldn’t set a charge limit except for the 1 time limit adjustment.

Turns out if you go into/edit the “Charging Locations” screen (toward bottom of picture - on the “Charge” settings section) you can set permanent limits for specific locations. This will work perfectly for me since the only places I regularly care about the limit are at home and work, so I set both for 90% to help with battery life. Anywhere else I’m fine either setting a 1 time limit of needed, but I doubt I’ll be chargi³ng many places on the road where I accidentally go over 90%.

7A219B3B-8107-4CCB-B716-9C865DD65DFE.jpeg
Only had my 2023 Lightning 2 weeks. Was thinking same thing. You just made my day if this works. Trying this tomorrow.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Only had my 2023 Lightning 2 weeks. Was thinking same thing. You just made my day if this works. Trying this tomorrow.
It works…..as described in the owners manual.

Stubedo

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Thought I was going crazy… perhaps I still am, but after the update last week, my Charge option appears to be gone! Where did it go?
Ford F-150 Lightning PSA - Setting Charge Limit (not one-time) PXL_20230424_224934427.MP_Original

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thought I was going crazy… perhaps I still am, but after the update last week, my Charge option appears to be gone! Where did it go?
PXL_20230424_224934427.MP_Original.jpeg
It’s now an app on the Home Screen, not in the settings.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Wow, I'm disappointed we're unable to set a global charge limit. Thought I just couldn't figure it out. I think it's cool that we can set different limits based on location, but I don't want my default to be 100%. That's a problem if I don't remember to set a charger location, or one-time charge limit.
Sponsored