• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Question about ground wire for Ford Charge station pro

EVLV150

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, '14 F150 SVT Raptor
I'm installing my FCSP and in my excitement, I mistakenly ordered a bare 6 awg wire for the ground wire. Is it okay to use this or should I get a coated ground wire when it enters the FCSP enclosure?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Presuming you are running your wiring in some type of conduit.
A bare EGC is permissible with a few exceptions, such as swimming pool applications.

I didn’t see any restriction in the installation instructions regarding the use of solid wire (#6 bare almost has to be solid) so the terminal should accept it. You will have to deal with the lack of flexibility, both when terminating at the FCSP and when pulling the wire - pulling solid that big is a PIA. For no more than it costs, I’d get the right wire.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I hate pulling solid and stranded bundled together. It doesn't matter where and how you tape them to each other, the solid will twist around the stranded at some bend, or the exit from a pull box (worse) and you'll be yanking the wires back and forth and back and forth for an eternity before finally it pulls clean. No amount of dish soap will help, though knowing better than to just yank harder and rip the insulation probably will.

It's enough to overcome my NYC born-and-bred impulse to always use bare ground wire because the conduit is the ground that really matters and why not accidentally bond to it everywhere you can.

OP
OP

EVLV150

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, '14 F150 SVT Raptor
Forgot to mention, its just the ground wire thats solid 6 awg. The conductors are stranded 2 awg thhn/thwn-2. I actually managed (with a lot swearing) to get the 6 awg solid into the same liquid tight conduit as 2 x 2 awg thhn/then stranded wires with the help of some pull string and cable lube.

So long as it's permissible to use bare copper for the ground wire , I'll just leave it as is.
Sponsored