• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Quick question about wire gauge size.

jedi713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
My CSP should arrive tomorrow so I am trying to plan out what all I need to buy. I already have a 100 amp sub panel in my garage that is for my wood working tools. I have a bunch of left over 3/4 EMT from a previous project. Based on both of those factors I was planning on using a 60amp breaker to power the CSP (derating it to 48amp). The run will be ~38 feet in total. I thought I had read another thread here that #6THHN would be sufficient for both hots in this scenario. I can't find the original thread I saw that in so is that correct? Was also planning on running the same size ground, unless smaller is sufficient in this scenario.

In theory the panel could support an 80amp breaker (assuming I am not charging and using tools at the same time), but I thought the increased wire size wouldn't work in my 3/4 EMT, is that correct?

Thanks all.
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
#6 AWG THHN is perfect for a 60A circuit (48A sustained load). And yes, needs to be in EMT or MC cable. You can use a smaller gauge wire for the ground -- but not much smaller, like 8 AWG.

Yes, you could install an 80A breaker in the 100A sub panel . And no, you won't be able to run the necessary wire through your 3/4 EMT.

Last edited:

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Here is a site I have used: https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/
I also run my FCSP derated to 48A on a 60A breaker. THHN #6 is good for a 60A breaker (#6 Romex is not). This site also has a raceway (AKA conduit) fill calculator. I put (2) #6 and a #8 ground in 3/4" conduit. It can be tough pulling if you have many bends, I just assembled the bends and pulled cable as I went.

Here's a pinned thread on the subject https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...a-outlet-to-charge-your-ev.12739/#post-269923

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
Mike Holt makes a great app , Mike Holt’s Electrical Toolbox

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
My CSP should arrive tomorrow so I am trying to plan out what all I need to buy. I already have a 100 amp sub panel in my garage that is for my wood working tools. I have a bunch of left over 3/4 EMT from a previous project. Based on both of those factors I was planning on using a 60amp breaker to power the CSP (derating it to 48amp). The run will be ~38 feet in total. I thought I had read another thread here that #6THHN would be sufficient for both hots in this scenario. I can't find the original thread I saw that in so is that correct? Was also planning on running the same size ground, unless smaller is sufficient in this scenario.

In theory the panel could support an 80amp breaker (assuming I am not charging and using tools at the same time), but I thought the increased wire size wouldn't work in my 3/4 EMT, is that correct?

Thanks all.
the installation manual should have all info you need:
Installation Manual

Sponsored
OP
OP

jedi713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
the installation manual should have all info you need:
Installation Manual
I had looked at the manual a while ago, but didn't see where they had wire recommendations for anything other than 80amp.

Thanks for all of the replies. I just need it to get here so I can figure out the final placement and start running the EMT.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
studying all ths myself as I'm 6 weeks out from getting mine. My electrician said 3g wire for the full 80amp capability although I'll probably limit it to 48a. BTY, you senario is the same as mine: I'm a woodworker and woodturner too and have 100a service to my shop where my CSS power will come from. will not be using the lathe or saw

OP
OP

jedi713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
studying all ths myself as I'm 6 weeks out from getting mine. My electrician said 3g wire for the full 80amp capability although I'll probably limit it to 48a. BTY, you senario is the same as mine: I'm a woodworker and woodturner too and have 100a service to my shop where my CSS power will come from. will not be using the lathe or saw
I'm kind of shocked the electrician said he could put a 100 amp breaker in the panel. I was always under the impression that you shouldn't put the same size breakers behind each other. At some point I saw a chart on charging times, and for my use cases, running at 48a is sufficient (plus I don't have to buy more EMT :) )

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
#6 AWG THHN is perfect for a 60A circuit (48A sustained load). And yes, needs to be in EMT or MC cable. You can use a smaller gauge wire for the ground -- but not much smaller, like 8 AWG.

Yes, you could install an 80A breaker in the 100A sub panel . And no, you won't be able to run the necessary wire through your 3/4 EMT.
Two #4 will fit in 3/4 EMT and the conduit itself is the ground if it's EMT from end to end, so how does an 80A circuit not fit?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm kind of shocked the electrician said he could put a 100 amp breaker in the panel. I was always under the impression that you shouldn't put the same size breakers behind each other.
Nothing wrong with that.

Sponsored

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, 2021 Bronco, 2023 Lightning
I'm kind of shocked the electrician said he could put a 100 amp breaker in the panel. I was always under the impression that you shouldn't put the same size breakers behind each other. At some point I saw a chart on charging times, and for my use cases, running at 48a is sufficient (plus I don't have to buy more EMT :) )
shocked? haha

OP
OP

jedi713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
shocked? haha
You see what I did there? I guess my previous electrician was just super cautious when they said it wasn't a good idea.

Either way for me it is a moot point since 3/4 EMT is my limiting factor (unless the EMT fairy shows up with 40ft and a bender).
Sponsored