• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Today I had to run some errands and the total trip was 197 miles with 8 stops with temperatures ranging from 36 to 48. Lariat ER AT tires.

I started with 90% battery with 30 minutes preconditioning. ( I added the departure time 30 minutes before I started the trip).

I finished the trip with 10% left or 20 miles left. So that would put me at about 241 miles for a full charge or about 1.8M/kwh. This represents about a 25% decrease from the 320miles range from EPA.

Some observations:
1-I did not realize I drove that many miles. The truck is so comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Actually the Truck drove most the time.

2-25% range decrease is a lot but I never felt range anxiety and I will not drive this kind of distances very often so it is not an issue for me.

3-It consumed about 98kwh. Considering a charging loss of 10% and preconditioning of about 6kwh, we can say that the total aggregate consumption was about 114kwh. It cost me 12cents per kwh(delivery +consumption) so the total cost for the trip was $13.69. An Ice version with 18MPGs would have cost about 38$ with gas prices at 3.5$. A 30 MPG vehicle would have been 22$.

So still great savings even though the F-150 is definitely not efficient.

overall, after 5800 miles still loving it!

Donā€™t pay too much attention to the click baiters on YouTube.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I did a 224 mile trip on Friday. Temperature was in the 30s and it was very windy. I knew it was going to be tight so I charged to 100% and warmed the cabin for almost 30 minutes before I left.

I used Google Maps on the way there. It took me mostly on 55mph roads. The trip distance was 109 miles and it was into the wind so I figured I was in good shape when I arrived with 54% battery.

I used Ford Navigation on the way back. It routed me on the highway and eventually planned a charge stop due to range. I slowed down, turned down the heat and switched back to Google Maps.šŸ˜† The trip distance was 114 miles. I arrived with 4% battery (8 miles).

There was definitely some range anxiety on the second leg of the trip but I very consciously pushed the limits of the truck so that I would be more comfortable with it in the future.

Google Maps has an option to set your vehicle as an EV for efficient trip planning. Ford Navigation planned a charge stop when it was needed but the route choice is what necessitated the stop. If I'd have gone home the same way I came there would have been no need for a stop. Of course, I know there's a charger at my destination, Ford Navigation does not.

My truck is a Platinum with 22" wheels. The reason for the trip was to pick up Lariat 20" takeoff wheels and tires. I'm hoping the smaller, presumably more aerodynamic wheels will allow me some extra range in cold months. My buddy, who works at EPA ,says the range difference between the Lariat and Platinum is probably just a calculation difference based on the extra weight of the truck. In other words, the new wheels probably won't do much. Oh well, I still like them.

My charging cost based on my most recent bill works out to 10.77Ā¢/mile. That's at 1.5 m/kWh. I figure it's about half the cost of my old truck so the new one will pay for itself in 54 years!šŸ¤£

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I did a 224 mile trip on Friday. Temperature was in the 30s and it was very windy. I knew it was going to be tight so I charged to 100% and warmed the cabin for almost 30 minutes before I left.

I used Google Maps on the way there. It took me mostly on 55mph roads. The trip distance was 109 miles and it was into the wind so I figured I was in good shape when I arrived with 54% battery.

I used Ford Navigation on the way back. It routed me on the highway and eventually planned a charge stop due to range. I slowed down, turned down the heat and switched back to Google Maps.šŸ˜† The trip distance was 114 miles. I arrived with 4% battery (8 miles).

There was definitely some range anxiety on the second leg of the trip but I very consciously pushed the limits of the truck so that I would be more comfortable with it in the future.

Google Maps has an option to set your vehicle as an EV for efficient trip planning. Ford Navigation planned a charge stop when it was needed but the route choice is what necessitated the stop. If I'd have gone home the same way I came there would have been no need for a stop. Of course, I know there's a charger at my destination, Ford Navigation does not.

My truck is a Platinum with 22" wheels. The reason for the trip was to pick up Lariat 20" takeoff wheels and tires. I'm hoping the smaller, presumably more aerodynamic wheels will allow me some extra range in cold months. My buddy, who works at EPA ,says the range difference between the Lariat and Platinum is probably just a calculation difference based on the extra weight of the truck. In other words, the new wheels probably won't do much. Oh well, I still like them.

My charging cost based on my most recent bill works out to 10.77Ā¢/mile. That's at 1.5 m/kWh. I figure it's about half the cost of my old truck so the new one will pay for itself in 54 years!šŸ¤£
if the lariat wheels have AT tires, you may not gain much. Assuming that the wheel and tires weight less. The biggest gain would be with a a Low rolling resistance tire.

also when I got an BMW i3, I was reading that they actually went with a bigger diameter wheel, but a very narrow tire to improve efficiency.

Last night I priced a Lariat Model with the full hybrid 3.5 engine and it was 78k and change. Mine was 81000-7500 tax credit so I think I am already ahead. Obviously with the new MSRPs, it is not as good.

Silly question for you: does the speaker in the headrest really makes a difference?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Today I had to run some errands and the total trip was 197 miles with 8 stops with temperatures ranging from 36 to 48. Lariat ER AT tires.

I started with 90% battery with 30 minutes preconditioning. ( I added the departure time 30 minutes before I started the trip).

I finished the trip with 10% left or 20 miles left. So that would put me at about 241 miles for a full charge or about 1.8M/kwh. This represents about a 25% decrease from the 320miles range from EPA.

Some observations:
1-I did not realize I drove that many miles. The truck is so comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Actually the Truck drove most the time.

2-25% range decrease is a lot but I never felt range anxiety and I will not drive this kind of distances very often so it is not an issue for me.

3-It consumed about 98kwh. Considering a charging loss of 10% and preconditioning of about 6kwh, we can say that the total aggregate consumption was about 114kwh. It cost me 12cents per kwh(delivery +consumption) so the total cost for the trip was $13.69. An Ice version with 18MPGs would have cost about 38$ with gas prices at 3.5$. A 30 MPG vehicle would have been 22$.

Great info. You probably realize that the range that you received should be compared to the same driving with temps in the mid 70s to see what the cold weather drop was, not to the EPA number that no one achieves with EVs, or ICE vehicles.

Your calculated 1.8 should match with This Trip, so you don't have to do the work.

And yes, you're driving a brick. ;)

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Great info. You probably realize that the range that you received should be compared to the same driving with temps in the mid 70s to see what the cold weather drop was, not to the EPA number that no one achieves with EVs, or ICE vehicles.

Your calculated 1.8 should match with This Trip, so you don't have to do the work.

And yes, you're driving a brick. ;)
Definitely, for my own purpose, that is the comparison a would do. But if you see the catastrophic videos on youtube they always talk about it in relation to the EPA estimate to make it more clickbaitable.

I think I will be in the 2.2m/kwh area @ 70 degrees. I added the gator mud flaps which are nice but big and heavy. I am thinking that it is affecting the aerodynamics as well. Plus I do not know if the air dam is actually working since I get the faults once in a while :)

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
if the lariat wheels have AT tires, you may not gain much. Assuming that the wheel and tires weight less. The biggest gain would be with a a Low rolling resistance tire.
The previous owner of the Lariat wheels told me they were all-seasons but when I got there they were ATs. The ATs look cooler anyway.

I have doubts as to whether they'll make any range difference. Maybe they weigh a little less, maybe they are a little lighter. Who knows? I set trip 1 when I got the truck and have been getting 1.5 m/kWh since then. I set trip 2 when I put on the new wheels so we'll see. The ATs with more sidewall seem to handle Michigan roads slightly better.

also when I got an BMW i3, I was reading that they actually went with a bigger diameter wheel, but a very narrow tire to improve efficiency.
I think the load requirements for a truck probably necessitated regular wide truck wheels on the Lightning.

Silly question for you: does the speaker in the headrest really makes a difference?
I haven't even noticed sound coming from it. Maybe I'll check that out today. I'm not sure how great the sound system is but the massaging seats are worth the upgrade. In my opinion, there's no reason to buy a Platinum without massaging seats.

Biobob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Some observations:

You might want to check out your truck, same setup and here is what I got.
Not my best but if am careful I can do better.

Ford F-150 Lightning Range results: 197 miles running errands with 8 stops IMG_0337
Sponsored