• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recommend a camping stove that's actually good for cooking?

geraulx

First Name
Laurie Andersen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 2012
Occupation
Senior Mechanic
What's out there small enough camping stove to be easily packable that is good for more than just boiling water?
I'm not looking to make a turkey dinner or anything, but it would be nice to be able to cook some eggs without having to constantly move the pan around.
The best I've tried are the old propane burners that sit right on top of a Coleman bottle. Works great, but they take up a lot of room.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
What's out there small enough camping stove to be easily packable that is good for more than just boiling water?
I'm not looking to make a turkey dinner or anything, but it would be nice to be able to cook some eggs without having to constantly move the pan around.
The best I've tried are the old propane burners that sit right on top of a Coleman bottle. Works great, but they take up a lot of room.
A couple years ago I picked up an insignia induction cooktop for around $20 on sale figured it was worth a shot, I found I stopped using the propane stove on my camper since. I have a griddle top that I use with it, or I can put a pan on it as well.

I know not everyone has shore power at their campsite, but I’ve plugged these into the truck as well, at the truck and with an extension cord, that said it’s not a good option for hike in campsites away from the truck.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
A couple years ago I picked up an insignia induction cooktop for around $20 on sale figured it was worth a shot, I found I stopped using the propane stove on my camper since. I have a griddle top that I use with it, or I can put a pan on it as well.

I know not everyone has shore power at their campsite, but I’ve plugged these into the truck as well, at the truck and with an extension cord, that said it’s not a good option for hike in campsites away from the truck.
We have Lightnings. Power to run an induction cooktop is plentiful ;-). I have one but haven't used it in the truck yet. I will pack it next time I need one! The only downside to the induction cooktop is you need the pots with the heavy iron base for them to work. (if a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan, it should work)

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I use a 2 burner coleman propane for camping. The briefcase size unit folds out and has windblocks to help with even heating but it's bulky.

Unless you carry cast iron with you, it's hard to get even heat. That's the trick with backcountry cooking, finding lightweight options that work like home isn't really possible.

Now, if you're just using the lightning to cook, your electric options are endless.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

Danielims

First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache- GT
If you're looking for the absolute lightest and most reliable camping pellet stove, Dweller is the way to go. I've used their Dragonfly for years on expeditions all over the world, and it's never let me down. It's a bit pricier, but it's worth every penny for the quality and performance you get.

Last edited:

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
What do you mean by "packable"? Are you backpacking or camping?

Ford F-150 Lightning Recommend a camping stove that's actually good for cooking? {filename}

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Yeah. What are your needs in terms of portability? If you are carrying your tent/sleeping bag/kitchen kit then you want a Whisperlite from MSR. Coleman makes good stoves if you are taking about driving up to a picnic table for lunch...
Sponsored