• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recommendations for Off-road tire close to stock weight?

lestats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am in the market for off-road tire and considering the Ridge Grabber 275/60/R20 116 XL tires for my Lightning Lariat ER. These tires are close in weight to the stock ones, so I believe they won't significantly affect my vehicle's range. However, I am curious about their ply count, as I only know about the reduced tread at 13/32.

I am also wondering if you would recommend using these tires for off-road driving, considering the weight of my truck. I want to avoid any incidents like a blown-out tire due to sharp rocks piercing the rubber.

if you have any other suggestion let me know.

K02 weights 56 lbs
Open country 55 lbs - the one at 42 lbs doesn’t meet the recommended load index of 116
The stock tires which are HTS 60 grabber are at 34 lbs.
Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Nokian Outpost AT (here) are designed with EVs in mind. Low rolling resistance, light weight, low noise, high load rating good mileage warranty... Almost seem too good to be true! They are very new and production is severely affected by the war in Russia so I wasn’t able to get the size I wanted. But I would encourage others to give them a serious look.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Nokian Outpost AT (here) are designed with EVs in mind. Low rolling resistance, light weight, low noise, high load rating good mileage warranty... Almost seem too good to be true! They are very new and production is severely affected by the war in Russia so I wasn’t able to get the size I wanted. But I would encourage others to give them a serious look.
They are massively heavier than the stock tires though. Weight isn't everything, but I am guessing they will have a significant impact on range. Would definitely want to see tests before I got them.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Pirelli is making the Scorpion AT for the Lightning -- same ratings and composition as the Rivian version, just sized for the Lightning. They're supposed to be available, but I haven't seen them pop up yet anywhere or in their product list online just yet. I know they're having production and supply issues as well.

Regardless of which tires we pick, any decent AT tire is going to have more resistance and will be heavier than an AS or performance road/touring tire and range will be effected.

These Nokian Outpost AT look interesting. I'm hoping someone puts them on a Lightning and gives them a thorough review.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Toyo Open Country A/T 3

42lbs

I think they are load rated 115T which is close enough for me to 116T (2679lbs vs 2,756lbs).

Last edited:

Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They are massively heavier than the stock tires though. Weight isn't everything, but I am guessing they will have a significant impact on range. Would definitely want to see tests before I got them.
You are not gonna find an AT tire anywhere near that size anywhere below 40 lbs.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OP
OP

lestats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I very like my Ko2 but the nokian outpost looks like the best option so far that meets all the requirements. thanks for the tip.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They make great snow tires! So I fully expect their AT tires to be good too. In fact, I have read a few threads in here where drivers have installed them.

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I'm curious to see what the Nokian's look like on a Lightning.

I had Toyo AT3s on my F150 hybrid this year..pretty much as close to stock weight as I could find. I was very happy with the tire. It's listed as a 115T though..I had sport 20" rims on that truck. I don't see a 116 rating for my 18s.

I am also seriously considering Continental's Terrain Contact. Supposedly they have a very good rolling resistance rating. Weight is also at 42lbs for the stock 18" size.

My stock Michelin's are great..I just want something with a bit more aggressive sidewall. When these tires go bad if there aren't any good options, I'll probably just go with the Michelins again. With an SR, I don't want to take much more of a range hit especially during winter to "look cool".

By chance does anyone know the OEM wheel rim weight for the 18" and 20" rims?

Sponsored
OP
OP

lestats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
They make great snow tires! So I fully expect their AT tires to be good too. In fact, I have read a few threads in here where drivers have installed them.
For my snow tires I have the Nokian SUV R5 in 18’’. So far they have been good - good traction, low resistance and low noise level as well.

Mach N Cheese

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Analyst
@eRockBoon , yup have them in the LT version which are massively heavier than non LT. I thought it good to have something comparable to the rugged KO2s, but I would have been better off with the non-LT Outposts ATs. It's been a solid winter tire for sure though.

Can't take a pics of them right now, but I posted pics on here before. As I mentioned in those posts, the Outposts are the most aggressive looking tires I have seen from Nokian. I wasn't expecting that,. Not overly aggressive when compared to KO2s or Nittos, though.

I have Toyo Open Country A/T IIIs on my other truck, the Nokians handle slush better. Otherwise both are solid choices.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
KO2s if you actually drive on snow - safety over range ...
Sponsored