• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tire pressure recommendations?

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
43-45 psi here. Contributes a bit to my 2.5 mi/KWh 12,400 mile average.
Sponsored

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I go by the door jamb sticker, so add air for winter temperatures. As for traction, low pressure helps on sand but not snow. Low pressure concentrates weight of truck on outer edges of tires, causing poorer contact in middle. Maybe higher pressures even helps in snow.

Monitor tread wear. If middle wears more, pressure is too high. If outsides wear more, pressure is too low. If outside wears more on one side of a tire than on the other side of the same tire, get an alignment ( and your range will increase).

Dan's Lightning

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
47psi cold. Driving they warm up to 49psi this time of year.
I love the feel what a difference in turning, handedly, rolls way better, better range I found to.
This is a very heavy truck!
Stand on the side of the wheel and look at the bottom contact of the wheel and look at the sage of the tire! It will tell you right away that you need more air for this beast of a truck nearing 7,000lbs.
The dealer gave me the truck at 36 lb and it's was awful I almost hit a Highway divider when I had to do a quick maneuver, tires are way too soft at 36lbs, what are they thinking? At 47 lbs it's a world of difference and much safer I find to. Haven't noticed any loss of traction at 47 lb this truck weighs so much you going to have a lot of traction either way. I'm going to try 49lbs cold soon, this truck is so heavy you need to max out tire pressure especially on these stock tires. I'm going to be looking for new tires for this truck soon and look into ones with Max 81 psi. I have a Ford E250 Cargo Van and it has 81 psi max tires on it! Got to get better tires on the lightning than the stock ones...

OP
OP
BuzzLightning2023

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
47psi cold. Driving they warm up to 49psi this time of year.
I love the feel what a difference in turning, handedly, rolls way better, better range I found to.
This is a very heavy truck!
Stand on the side of the wheel and look at the bottom contact of the wheel and look at the sage of the tire! It will tell you right away that you need more air for this beast of a truck nearing 7,000lbs.
The dealer gave me the truck at 36 lb and it's was awful I almost hit a Highway divider when I had to do a quick maneuver, tires are way too soft at 36lbs, what are they thinking? At 47 lbs it's a world of difference and much safer I find to. Haven't noticed any loss of traction at 47 lb this truck weighs so much you going to have a lot of traction either way. I'm going to try 49lbs cold soon, this truck is so heavy you need to max out tire pressure especially on these stock tires. I'm going to be looking for new tires for this truck soon and look into ones with Max 81 psi. I have a Ford E250 Cargo Van and it has 81 psi max tires on it! Got to get better tires on the lightning than the stock ones...
That’s gotta be a stiff ride at 47-49 psi.

OP
OP
BuzzLightning2023

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not at all, when I set my stock AS to 42 cold, they often rise to 44-45 after spirited driving.

Pay attention to the one that went low, might have a nail hiding in the tread
Pulled up at my tire shop and there it was right on top. They fixed it in the street faster than I could go inside and pay. I had the guy save the screw so I could see if it was friendly fire or not. Not.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire pressure recommendations? IMG_4385

Sponsored

Dan's Lightning

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Stiff ride at 47-49? Not at all.. you got to be kidding me..
See pics. My truck's been sitting in the driveway all night this morning tire pressure and pictures of the tire cold, I can still see sag at 47lbs., the front tire 46lbs, more sag. Definitely not a stiff ride, I find it just right at 47 psi cold. This is one heavy truck got to get the tire pressure up i self learnt...
Note: This is a Lariat Extended range, they are heavier than a standard range..

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire pressure recommendations? Screenshot_20231213_100549_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire pressure recommendations? 20231213_100503
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire pressure recommendations? 20231213_100439

Last edited:

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Keep an eye on that tire. One tire going that low, compared to the other 3, points to a nail in it.
Are you leaving out the screws?
I’ve Far more screws than nails.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire pressure recommendations? tmp

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Watch the tread wear ... worn outside - too low a pressure; worn center - too high.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I just topped off my four to 50... ready for a 300 mile trip tomorrow. The ride home from the tire shop was NICE and COMFORTABLE and SMOOTH... I felt NO difference one way or the other, before at 39, or now at 50. The Michelin Primacy XC tires state '51 max psi'... The truck does NOT know what tire, or what type or size tire you have, so I don't know why going by the 'door sticker' would be the 'rule'...

Sponsored
OP
OP
BuzzLightning2023

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just topped off my four to 50... ready for a 300 mile trip tomorrow. The ride home from the tire shop was NICE and COMFORTABLE and SMOOTH... I felt NO difference one way or the other, before at 39, or now at 50. The Michelin Primacy XC tires state '51 max psi'... The truck does NOT know what tire, or what type or size tire you have, so I don't know why going by the 'door sticker' would be the 'rule'...
This thread brings to mind 2 things: 1) That iconic Life magazine pic of the father and son who over-inflated their tractor tire and it exploded (taking them with it) and 2) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where Hunter S. Thompson convinces the gas station attendant that the tires on the Cadillac are new/experimental technology and to please fill them to a ridiculously high psi. 😆

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The low pressure setpoint is set to whatever tire you had on the truck when delivered. That is why its recommended to set pressure by the door sticker.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
It will tell you right away that you need more air for this beast of a truck nearing 7,000lbs.
There are a lot of benefits to more air pressure but one of the downsides is more weight needs more stopping power in emergencies. And that means larger contact patch (less pressure).

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Reduced mine from 42 to 38 in hope of 1. less slipping in the wet (20" AS @ 12k miles) and 2. preventing another destroyed tire from a gravel puncture!

Will inflate them next week before a big holiday road trip.
Sponsored