• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tire pressure recommendations?

OP
OP
BuzzLightning2023

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
There are a lot of benefits to more air pressure but one of the downsides is more weight needs more stopping power in emergencies. And that means larger contact patch (less pressure).
Good point. I’ll strike a happy medium between the recommended 37 and Hunter S. Thompsons Caddy at 85 psi. :)
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The correct tire pressure is on the tire placard unless you change type, i.e. going from the General Grabber's to an all terrain tire.

Driving with significantly more PSI makes total sense when you have a load to carry, such as towing, and there are calculations to do. Driving with significantly more pressure and no load will result in a much firmer ride and excess center of tire wear over time. But hey, it's your money.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
The correct tire pressure is on the tire placard unless you change type, i.e. going from the General Grabber's to an all terrain tire.

Driving with significantly more PSI makes total sense when you have a load to carry, such as towing, and there are calculations to do. Driving with significantly more pressure and no load will result in a much firmer ride and excess center of tire wear over time. But hey, it's your money.
I went the opposite way. Had the Hankook ATs so my door jam tire placard says 36psi. I just installed Michelin Defender LTX M/S2s which are not ATs. My dealer set the tire pressure to 38psi right now but wondering if I should raise them to 42psi?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I went the opposite way. Had the Hankook ATs so my door jam tire placard says 36psi. I just installed Michelin Defender LTX M/S2s which are not ATs. My dealer set the tire pressure to 38psi right now but wondering if I should raise them to 42psi?
Yes, I would do that. This truck is heavier than a standard F-150, hence more pressure needed. When I picked mine up, it was at 36. I told them it needed 42, and they disagreed, so I opened the door and pointed. The Sales Manager filled them up himself, and apologized for the prep guys not reading the door jamb.

Electronic

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, BMW 530i
Occupation
Engineer

At 1k miles on my stock AT2's I had outer edge wear visible already. The door jam says 36 PSI. But I have read people are being advised to inflate to 42 PSI. I have inflated my tires to 42 PSI last week and will see how the wear is. I wish Ford would come out and give advice on uneven tire wear with AT2 tires. I have read there was a recall for 22 model year where the recommended tire pressure was increased to 42 from 36 (not sure what tires those recalled trucks have) but I think the issue was handling and tire wear. Why are we still being recommended to inflate to 36 PSI especially with uneven tire wear?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
At 1k miles on my stock AT2's I had outer edge wear visible already. The door jam says 36 PSI. But I have read people are being advised to inflate to 42 PSI. I have inflated my tires to 42 PSI last week and will see how the wear is. I wish Ford would come out and give advice on uneven tire wear with AT2 tires. I have read there was a recall for 22 model year where the recommended tire pressure was increased to 42 from 36 (not sure what tires those recalled trucks have) but I think the issue was handling and tire wear. Why are we still being recommended to inflate to 36 PSI especially with uneven tire wear?

The AS tires are spec'd for 42 PSI

The recall was for early MY22 production to correct a miscalibrated value in the trucks computer reading the TPMS and alerting us to improper inflation.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The truck weight pushes down and the tire must support it. My Lariat weigh 6319 lbs with an allowable load of 1731 lbs meaning potentially 8550 lbs pushing down. 8550 lbs/4 tires/ 42 lbs/inch^2 means each tire patch is 50 inch^2. According to tirerack, the width of the HTS60 XL is 8.6 inches. 50 square inches sounds about right with 6 inch tire patch length.
Are the other tires that came on 22, 20 and 18 inch wheels on some Lightnings wider?
Sponsored