• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Request: A concise answer to how to connect Pro Power to a generator inlet

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
These are UL1008M approved. If there was a significant safety hazard, that testing would have shown it.
not allowed here in bc. bc hydro doesn't allow them due to solid state switching. I don't think they're allowed in Alberta either. maybe stricter standards in Canada? BC also doesn't allow simple generator interlocks. need to go with proper transfer switches here.

UL 1008M is an 'outline of investigation' standard, not a fully released and adopted standard.

Last edited:

dmd3home

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Spark EV, Tesla Y, BMW X5 phev
OK, it seems like we continue to go in circles here with what works, what doesn't, what's safe, and what's not. I love the idea of the utility supplied meter collar gen connection and, in fact, I'm on the waiting list for one from PG&E. But, I still really don't know if it will work with the Lightning.....though I do also have a generator that's on the approved PG&E list. But, prior to the meter collar option coming up, I was going to connect the ProPower to the house via xfer switches etc. But then, there were all threads about that not working due to the bonded neutral at the house. So, I got to thinking.....why not connect the ProPower to an 1x1 isolation transformer first and then feed the house from the secondary winding of the transformer. This isolates any truck circuitry from the load circuitry of the house.....no GFIC concerns whatsoever! These transformers are expensive ($1000+) and heavy (140 lbs), but the fact that they completely separate both electrical circuits (truck vs house) with just an induction connection (no wiring) between them seems that it would be very advantageous and still meet all the requirements of the two circuits (truck and house). I did get this idea going in a thread somewhere many months ago and there were a couple responses confirming this works, but I could never get any real success stories from people who "said" they'd tried it. I'm hoping that maybe this will find someone here who's had some success. Anyone?

EVpower

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Explorer Sport
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have been using the ProPower Onboard with an isolation transformer for utility back-up for the 50 hours of power outages we have experienced this year. I have the option of using the Lightning or generator as source to our home through the ATS. The Lightning is the most convenient back up I have...no noise or refueling hassle. I can charge the truck from the generator if needed.

This installation was fully permitted and inspected BTW.

An autotransformer will also work with the bed 240-volt outlet. They were hard to get in 2023 when I installed the system for the truck back-up.

Steve

Sponsored

dmd3home

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Spark EV, Tesla Y, BMW X5 phev
Great, good to know. Thanks so much for your input. Can you share what transformer you used and other components in your setup? In hindsight, is there anything you'd do differently? How did you handle the neutral and ground connections on either side of the transformer? Any other details you can add?
Thanks, Dan

EVpower

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Explorer Sport
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The isolation transformer I used is an ACME T2535163S 10kVA rating. The transformer input is 240 volt, the secondary is 120/240 volt with the neutral connected on the transformer secondary only to the ATS. The equipment ground from the truck is carried through to the ground buss at the service entrance panel.

At the time I purchased the transformer some electrical components were subject to very long lead times. I was also uncertain if I would ever be able to take delivery on the Lightning. I picked a transformer that could be used for another project if necessary. I also wanted to use the 240 volt transformer input to avoid overloading one leg of a 120/240 volt back-up source when the home loads were not evenly balanced between each line. This line balance issue also affects the required size of an auto transformer if desired.

Some general thoughts:
Pull permits for the project. You don't want to jeopardize your truck warranty or risk your home insurance denying a claim on bogus grounds for a DIY mistake.

Find an electrician who works in your town and know the building department well. One example. A generator inlet is not allowed in a garage in the 2023 code. A different description of the inlet can avoid problems.

Steve

Mr. T

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning / Lariat 511a / Antimatter Blue
Yes one should turn off the breakers for automatic high consumption devices.

The instructions also state solar systems must be disconnected via the associated switch. I am trying to work with Enphase to support this meter collar generator input when one of their System Controllers is installed. Wish me luck!
Any luck with this? I’m about to have an Enphase Solar System installed and am looking to do the same thing.
Sponsored