• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
Great product and price, if you're on the fence, do it.

RoughCountry Model PSR71520
Installed on '22 Lariat ER
Purchased, not under any promotion (unbiased feedback)
Time in use: 7 months

After install dimensions (nearly perfect):
10.5" Ground to step
13" step to cab

Install
  • Install difficulty is a 3 out of 5 (more time consuming than difficult)
  • Kit is very well designed with no modifications to truck needed. Wires are all pre-configured to length, in wire loom with extra protection for the section that runs from side to side in the frame rail.
  • About 6 hours to install. Was taking time to route wires cleanly, zip tie everything and did some cleaning of the truck while in there, while also doing the Frunk beeper delete. The instructions weren’t specific to the lightning so for example where you run the wires under the truck didn’t 100% match the pics so you have to adapt a bit but overall easy to ad-lib those parts.
  • Because the power and ground came pre-wired with inline fuses installed, I opted to follow the frame up into the frunk instead of trying to punch those through the FW. The wiring by default is on the passenger side and that’s not a simple entry point behind the glove box.
  • Comes with switch to disable steps from deploying, easily routed that into the center console.
Product performance / observations
  • Deployment is managed via magnetic sensors in the door jam that are largely out of sight and easy to install. No issues so far with adhesive and it was an extremely hot summer in TX.
  • 2 lights shine down on each side, adhered to the pinch welds near the frame rail. They spot illuminate the steps well and you can adjust them to the location that you prefer. No issues with them coming off.
  • Boards are slightly angled towards truck, you feel it when stepping on them but you don't see it. It’s a good design that aids in entry/exit stability with my 80. y/o MIL.
  • Much wider shoe patch vs factory so you can get a full foot onto the step vs ½ on the factory steps. Much sturdier contact patch and should be overall safer, less prone to slips.
  • Design is far easier to keep clean. Stock ones always looked dingy and since they are not tucked away it detracted from the trucks look when the rest is clean
  • I didn’t weigh them, but believe the steps are lighter and after adding the motors, weight should be similar
  • Deploy speed is excellent.
Wish list for RoughCountry (None would affect my decision to purchase again)
  • Add option to deploy steps to assist with cleaning. Currently have to manually clean with door open to prevent spray from entering cab.
  • Add a short delay after door close. By default the running boards return immediately when closing the door. I had no idea how many times I close one door just to open another until I installed these and it doubles the cycles they go through unnecessarily. I've started training myself to open the other door first before closing the first door to reduce wear on the motors.
  • Implement a slowdown when they are near full extension or retraction. They go full speed from stop to stop so it generates a "thump" in both directions.
  • Stick-on lights don't integrate with zone lighting, not a show stopper, but would be cool if they could tap into the existing board's lighting harness to integrate.
  • Mud and snow could cause them to be slippery left to right since the tread is only one direction following the length of the truck. I haven't had issues in the rain but haven't been able to test in other climates yet.
  • Add sound deadening to the motor assembly to reduce the whirr you hear when they are deploying / retracting. They are not super loud, but louder than other factory units I've heard.

General comment not related to the product. You will be able see the plastic aero cover shroud on each side of the truck that was hidden by the factory running boards. On the plus side, that cover gives you a convenient place to run the wires along the underside.

I have never had motorized running boards and didn't expect to love it as much as I do. Overall this is a huge improvement visually and functionally. My MIL for example is now able to get into the truck without needing to use the grab handle and pull herself up.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_9635

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_9636

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_9637

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_9649

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_9650

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_9651
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Add option to deploy steps to assist with cleaning. Currently have to manually clean with door open to prevent spray from entering cab
If these work anything like the stock or AMP steps, open your door to deploy them. Stand on the side you want to stay down and close the door. It will try to retract, then give up. Just open and close your door to reset.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Just curious, they look great! But they seem a little short? Maybe it’s just the photos? There are two model numbers for extended vs crew cab, the fit guide says both are “compatible” I have to assume the only difference is the length of the steps?

OP
OP
2wheeltraveler

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just curious, they look great! But they seem a little short? Maybe it’s just the photos? There are two model numbers for extended vs crew cab, the fit guide says both are “compatible” I have to assume the only difference is the length of the steps?
It's likely the photos being skewed because I used wide angle when taking the pics... they definitely are not too short

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Kind of hard to tell by the pictures, but in your honest opinion do you think the side view of the truck is less attractive? I get the feeling that the stock side steps were designed to cover up a large part of the battery visible from the side. Do you see any issue with that considering these are so much more compact?

Sponsored
OP
OP
2wheeltraveler

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kind of hard to tell by the pictures, but in your honest opinion do you think the side view of the truck is less attractive? I get the feeling that the stock side steps were designed to cover up a large part of the battery visible from the side. Do you see any issue with that considering these are so much more compact?
I really didn't like the chunky look of the old boards, my favorite look are the off road focused tube style which gives the truck a bit of a tough look.. but for me, the aero benefit and having older folks getting in and out this was the better option.

1While at first I noticed everything showing because it was different, I don't even notice it anymore.

Added some more pics that show it stowed better.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_2544

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_2545

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_2546

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Yup. Im
I really didn't like the chunky look of the old boards, my favorite look are the off road focused tube style which gives the truck a bit of a tough look.. but for me, the aero benefit and having older folks getting in and out this was the better option.

1While at first I noticed everything showing because it was different, I don't even notice it anymore.

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2545.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg
Yup! Im sold! Thanks for the write up! At half the price, this is a great setup!

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2545.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg
Perfect thank you. Truck looks much better. And I cannot keep those stock things clean.

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
I put these in a few months back. I had a car rental in 2018 and got a free upgrade to brand new Expedition max eco boost which was a beautiful truck. My first experience with power running boards

been wanting them ever since. Seeing it as a sub $300 option on some trims was painful for me. Really wanted to do an own integration but was waiting for takeoffs to show up on eBay for months when I took my pregnant wife, my father and his wife out to dinner, and all 3 of them needed help into the truck. Well, that was enough to pull the trigger on the RCs. Had my eye on them a while

also from other threads I read stock integration is not easy needing one or two body harnesses (a new seat harness I think) and forscan

The thought of magnetic switches stuck on vs the car computer saying when to deploy the boards almost killed it for me, but I took time on the install, and haven’t even thought about it since.

I’m very happy with the boards

it’s funny you mention going fr front to back, getting the double deploy. I do the same thing, making sure the next door opens before the first closes. It’s a bit of a pain but I’ll live with it. I appreciate the quickness of deployment and retraction so not sure I’d want a delay, but it would be ok

JacksonHandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, previous GTI and F150 SCREW Lariat 3.5eco
Funny, I installed mine yesterday.

pretty straight forward, took under 4 hours. I ignored the instructions and did not have an expert install them.

I noticed just a couple things:

- instructions aren’t as clear on which bolt is to ground the sensor, and that the rear sensor is on the forward part of the door.
- sensor grounds don’t really fit the bolt that Rough Country shows in photo.
- it’d be nice to get a torque spec for step mount nuts for peace of mind
- locking them down to clean or work would be nice.
- Only the B pillar really needs to come off, you can loosen the bolt on drivers side center console and pop the front on pass side. It’s tight, but the wire passes just fine and you can fold the carpet back.
- my fish tape came in handy a couple of times to pull battery cable up and to pull driver side harness through frame. There is a pass through on top of plastic fairing that hides more of the wire.

I like them so far.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_1516
Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_1517

Sponsored

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On Order: 2022 F150 Raptor, Atlas Blue, 801a, PP
been on the fence as not a fan of the bulky stock steps look (functionally they work great though).....I just bit the bullet and ordered

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
just installed these today...truck looks so much better without the bulky steps, battery not that noticeable and these steps are really nice....only thing I did notice is that the boards on mine seem a bit shorter than in the pics above but they do still work

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there any chance one of you can either check the box (if you have it) or the length of the steps.....they did send the correct motors/wiring box but the second box says PSR72 72" power rail step and I'm wondering if they sent the extend cab steps with the crew cab kit....then again they do work but look shorter than those posted here.....first pic is with steps removed, second is with side steps on
Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_3685
Ford F-150 Lightning Rough Country Power Running Boards Install and Thoughts after 7mo / 10k miles IMG_3686
Sponsored