• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Running power at night for telescope

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
I want to run a small telescope at night for astrophotography purposes from the bed of my new lightning. The truck itself will be plugged in and charging.

Does the truck have to be "on", say, via the accessory mode from the start button? Will it stay on all night (unless power is drawn down to the level I set)? The draw from the telescope equipment is minimal.

Ford F-150 Lightning Running power at night for telescope M31_LPro_LeXtreme_Combined-Edit
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Yes to being on. And you will need to turn off the auto shutdown (30min) setting in the truck. FYI it resets to the default ea key cycle.

Happy Photographing and Merry Christmas!!

RTanton

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum
I want to run a small telescope at night for astrophotography purposes from the bed of my new lightning. The truck itself will be plugged in and charging.

Does the truck have to be "on", say, via the accessory mode from the start button? Will it stay on all night (unless power is drawn down to the level I set)? The draw from the telescope equipment is minimal.

M31_LPro_LeXtreme_Combined-Edit.jpg
Nice photo of M31 from the bed of your Lightning!

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
OP
OP

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
Yes to being on. And you will need to turn off the auto shutdown (30min) setting in the truck. FYI it resets to the default ea key cycle.

Happy Photographing and Merry Christmas!!
Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Bring some towels to cover the dash and the center display.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
from the bed
Not sure if you mean just plugged in to the bed, or the actual telescope is in the bed...If you're in there with it, this is never going to work... But if your setup is full goto mount and an auto focuser, then maybe... but I can't imagine it being possible to get a good polar alignment with the truck wobbling around. Maybe I'm way off and you didn't mean that at all haha.

As for me, I haven't found a spot yet that I wouldn't have Cleatus coming out to see what I'm up to with a shotgun... but my eventual goal is to find somewhere in the PA ridges that no one cares if I am there for most of the night. Normally I use my lawn mower battery for power, and it works as power for my laptop, mount, guide cam and everything for a few hours. It's a pain to haul that stuff, so having the truck with me would be great, and also be an escape from bears if they show up.

My back yard bortle 5 shots are nowhere close to what you showed earlier...

Ford F-150 Lightning Running power at night for telescope 1703509246410

OP
OP

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician

M31_LPro_LeXtreme_Combined-Edit.jpg
I would put the scope on the ground, typically in my drive way. I tell people I have two things against me in this hobby: I’m lazy and I don’t stay up late. So my stuff is all ZWO (except the scopes). The photo I posted is Bortle 6 and is the product of a couple of years of working with PixInsight. I combined about 11 hours taken with an LPro filter and 2 hours with an LeXtreme filter to help bring out the Ha knots. Used to tell folk it was 50% taking photos and 50% processing. Now I know it is 10% taking photos and 90% processing. Your picture is good and looks like mine just a year ago. Just that we get photos like yours or mine is amazing to me. And fun.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I would put the scope on the ground, typically in my drive way. I tell people I have two things against me in this hobby: I’m lazy and I don’t stay up late. So my stuff is all ZWO (except the scopes). The photo I posted is Bortle 6 and is the product of a couple of years of working with PixInsight. I combined about 11 hours taken with an LPro filter and 2 hours with an LeXtreme filter to help bring out the Ha knots. Used to tell folk it was 50% taking photos and 50% processing. Now I know it is 10% taking photos and 90% processing. Your picture is good and looks like mine just a year ago. Just that we get photos like yours or mine is amazing to me. And fun.
Yeah I would say my biggest issue is I am just working with what I have processing-wise. I just use photoshop. I am trying to use various gradient removal tools now, as you can see in that pic I had a fairly substantial one.

OP
OP

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
Yeah I would say my biggest issue is I am just working with what I have processing-wise. I just use photoshop. I am trying to use various gradient removal tools now, as you can see in that pic I had a fairly substantial one.
Download the AI version of GraXpert. It is free and everyone is using it now for gradient removal.
Sponsored