• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Agreed. I think he's a straight-shooter for the most part.

I'm not saying he's perfectly impartial, but he says positive and negative things about everyone.

And to be fair, most of what he says gets overblown as far as importance. Fit and finish of Tesla wasn't a deal-breaker for me, and the cooling system thing wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me on the Mach E if that's the kind of vehicle I was in the market for. They're considerations, but they both are great vehicles, overall, with valid concerns on some points.
Personally, there are many reasons I despise Elon and Tesla. The fit and finish is just icing on the cake. However, I have seen a few Teslas in person and they all seemed cheap (for the price point) to me. They just never really excited me...maybe if I rode in one I might feel better, but I just couldn't get over the fact I could get a decent MB, BMW, Audi, etc..much more of a "car" for about the same price. I know its my opinion..to each his own. If you love Teslas..more power to ya'.

The f150 I get the complete opposite reaction. I haven't owned a truck in several years. I had a used f150 in college. I am excited about this truck.. its the first vehicle in the last 10yrs where I said "I gotta have it". (The lone exception is my Buick/Opel station wagon because wagons are cool). I don't have that reaction to Tesla, ID4, Bolt, eTron, or the Mach E. Hard to put my finger on it, but I'm really excited about this truck.

Looking forward to the NY auto show in a few weeks... can't wait to see it in person!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
That's basically what I meant. But I try to leave "fanboy" to the most toxic, aggressive people. Superfans could just be people who are very pro-Tesla and not all that well informed about the competition or cars in general.
Tesla isn't the only company that spawns fanboydom. I think that his videos are informative, fair, and generally complimentary, but if you read some comments on MME forum, you'd think he is a complete idiot who still nurses a grudge from the time he worked for Ford a gazillion years ago.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Tesla isn't the only company that spawns fanboydom. I think that his videos are informative, fair, and generally complimentary, but if you read some comments on MME forum, you'd think he is a complete idiot who still nurses a grudge from the time he worked for Ford a gazillion years ago.
Agreed. There are plenty of "fanboys" and "superfans" to go around both. Twitter is good for breaking info, but awful because it's a magnet for the most obnoxious, biased, annoying commenters.

I'm sure there are more Tesla Superfans than Ford *EV* Superfans (considering the difference in production and timeline), but they're both pretty annoying!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Personally, there are many reasons I despise Elon and Tesla. The fit and finish is just icing on the cake. However, I have seen a few Teslas in person and they all seemed cheap (for the price point) to me. They just never really excited me...maybe if I rode in one I might feel better, but I just couldn't get over the fact I could get a decent MB, BMW, Audi, etc..much more of a "car" for about the same price. I know its my opinion..to each his own. If you love Teslas..more power to ya'.

The f150 I get the complete opposite reaction. I haven't owned a truck in several years. I had a used f150 in college. I am excited about this truck.. its the first vehicle in the last 10yrs where I said "I gotta have it". (The lone exception is my Buick/Opel station wagon because wagons are cool). I don't have that reaction to Tesla, ID4, Bolt, eTron, or the Mach E. Hard to put my finger on it, but I'm really excited about this truck.

Looking forward to the NY auto show in a few weeks... can't wait to see it in person!!
Generally, I like the fit/finish and driving dynamics of BMWs and such... I've owned 6 different BMW products in the last ~6 years. The fit and finish of contemporary BMWs is substantially better, for sure.

That said, Tesla had legitimately no EV competition at the pricepoint when I bought one in 2018, IMO. Nothing that offered comparable range AND fast charging AND performance anywhere near the price. And we were pretty set on going BEV for our primary vehicle at the time, so BMW and MB and Audi weren't even an option. Gas-wise, for the price of a long range Model 3 ($42k), I could have gotten a base 3-series that wouldn't compare in tech, resale, performance, fuel costs, etc.

I agree with you to some extend on excitement. My excitement with the Model 3 was more how revolutionary it was from a gas-replacement standpoint it was... at a relatively affordable price. It wasn't as much about the car being *exactly* my kind of car. I, like you apparently, like wagons and hatchbacks and such. I far prefer them to sedans or trucks or whatever. But again, I think the F150 is a home run and it's a really useful vehicle, so I can use it to do a bunch of stuff that I don't really *want* to do in my non-trucks, or tow, or whatever... and not spend a zillion dollars in gas doing it!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Generally, I like the fit/finish and driving dynamics of BMWs and such... I've owned 6 different BMW products in the last ~6 years. The fit and finish of contemporary BMWs is substantially better, for sure.

That said, Tesla had legitimately no EV competition at the pricepoint when I bought one in 2018, IMO. Nothing that offered comparable range AND fast charging AND performance anywhere near the price. And we were pretty set on going BEV for our primary vehicle at the time, so BMW and MB and Audi weren't even an option. Gas-wise, for the price of a long range Model 3 ($42k), I could have gotten a base 3-series that wouldn't compare in tech, resale, performance, fuel costs, etc.

I agree with you to some extend on excitement. My excitement with the Model 3 was more how revolutionary it was from a gas-replacement standpoint it was... at a relatively affordable price. It wasn't as much about the car being *exactly* my kind of car. I, like you apparently, like wagons and hatchbacks and such. I far prefer them to sedans or trucks or whatever. But again, I think the F150 is a home run and it's a really useful vehicle, so I can use it to do a bunch of stuff that I don't really *want* to do in my non-trucks, or tow, or whatever... and not spend a zillion dollars in gas doing it!
I respect that.

I'm excited about the f150 as I have solar and also can plug in(to top off) at work. I can afford to commute in the lightning for the same cost as an ICE small sedan.. perhaps even cheaper. I also have a muscle truck..0-60 in 4.5sec is nothing to sneeze at, but can also use the same vehicle to go to home depot on the weekend for some lumber or plywood. The same truck can be used to tow a boat to a nearby lake, or party with a tailgate. It seems to be so versatile.. replacing many vehicles in one.

The only thing better(for me) would be an electric SUV(very likely..I'm betting on Ford using the same chassis for an expedition EV to join the explorer EV).

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV

That’s a great looking wagon. Bummed (but not surprised) it got the axe.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

I agree there's a list of inarguable facts that demand Musk and Tesla be despised … from his behavior to manipulating the $TSLA stock price to Tesla abusing employees and suppressing union activities … I'm also not a fan of SpaceX burning up the planet that the billionaires want to get off because it's getting too hot … to go to … Mars (average temperature according to google is -80ºF … ffs.)
While I found the Model X a "gotta have it" and I've had two of 'em, I no longer recommend it to friends without an asterisk on "so long as you don't do road trips and you don't care about things like technology." That's the other pathetic irony of Tesla … it's the "high tech" car that has no high tech … it's the "self-driving" car that doesn't self-drive … and I ordered the Roadster when it was a "wow" but now it's been years and no production date in sight … I wish I'd bought $50K in $TSLA instead … it would be worth $600,000 now … making the Tesla Roadster II one of the most expensive US cars ever built … and as expensive as the Ferrari SF90 … which outperforms the Tesla which is still just on paper … so, yeah, FU Tesla, FU Musk, FU.
: )

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
That’s a great looking wagon. Bummed (but not surprised) it got the axe.
Agreed. Buick/Opel/Holden (all GM sub-brands of a sort) have delivered some great vehicles that the market just didn't "get" at the time … a pity. I was in a customer "focus group" session years ago where we were paid $500 each (about 20 of us as Range Rover owners) to talk about other car brands and look at a prototype of what would become the first Ford built Range Rover. After we finished the formal (all in front of video cameras) session, we hung around and kicked the tires of the competitor vehicles and other "would you own this vehicle" examples including some very specific and cool vehicles that were nothing like Range Rovers but apparently were typical of the vehicle prospective customers would either trade in, or would purchase new instead of a Range Rover. As we talked about Buick, one of the product management people noted "yeah, Buick should have eaten out lunch, GM doesn't know how good those cars are, but consumers just don't seem to buy the best, they buy what they want" (words to that effect.) Those words have stuck with me (I used to work in a software technology product research and development role years ago and often observed the same thing: "why is this customer buying Oracle instead of IBM?" … almost invariably the answer was either "they don't buy the best, they buy what they want" … or corruption … most government and global corporation technology purchases are corrupt … )

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agreed. Buick/Opel/Holden (all GM sub-brands of a sort) have delivered some great vehicles that the market just didn't "get" at the time … a pity. I was in a customer "focus group" session years ago where we were paid $500 each (about 20 of us as Range Rover owners) to talk about other car brands and look at a prototype of what would become the first Ford built Range Rover. After we finished the formal (all in front of video cameras) session, we hung around and kicked the tires of the competitor vehicles and other "would you own this vehicle" examples including some very specific and cool vehicles that were nothing like Range Rovers but apparently were typical of the vehicle prospective customers would either trade in, or would purchase new instead of a Range Rover. As we talked about Buick, one of the product management people noted "yeah, Buick should have eaten out lunch, GM doesn't know how good those cars are, but consumers just don't seem to buy the best, they buy what they want" (words to that effect.) Those words have stuck with me (I used to work in a software technology product research and development role years ago and often observed the same thing: "why is this customer buying Oracle instead of IBM?" … almost invariably the answer was either "they don't buy the best, they buy what they want" … or corruption … most government and global corporation technology purchases are corrupt … )

Here it is...love this car. Saw it at the auto show and fell in love. (2018 maybe?) GM spent nearly zero advertising this car and was shocked when it didn't sell! I know wagons are a tough sell.. but this is essentially an Opel, made in Germany with Buick badges slapped on it. GM tried to say it was an SUV..not..and so it flopped. They should have gone after the Volvo, BMW, audi a4 crowd instead. Funny.. the floor mats in mine had the opal name "insignia" embordered on them. I guess they ran out of the Buick ones so they threw in the Opel ones instead!!

The car is very European.. feels more like a cheaper Audi or Volvo than Buick. Fit and finish not up to Audi/BMW/Volvo stds...but the car was about $20k less.

I do wish it was electric, so I got my eye on the VW space vizzion if it ever comes to fruition.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sandy Munro - First Look at the Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck Tour_X

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I saw this in the video. Anyone knows what is behind it?

Ford F-150 Lightning Sandy Munro - First Look at the Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck 1627682241386

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I saw this in the video. Anyone knows what is behind it?

1627682241386.png
In one of the media reviews(I forgot which one) the host asked Ford and was told it is a service panel. Basically the way you acces things along firewall for service/repair. Its not meant for normal use.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Here it is...love this car. Saw it at the auto show and fell in love. (2018 maybe?) GM spent nearly zero advertising this car and was shocked when it didn't sell! I know wagons are a tough sell.. but this is essentially an Opel, made in Germany with Buick badges slapped on it. GM tried to say it was an SUV..not..and so it flopped. They should have gone after the Volvo, BMW, audi a4 crowd instead. Funny.. the floor mats in mine had the opal name "insignia" embordered on them. I guess they ran out of the Buick ones so they threw in the Opel ones instead!!

The car is very European.. feels more like a cheaper Audi or Volvo than Buick. Fit and finish not up to Audi/BMW/Volvo stds...but the car was about $20k less.

I do wish it was electric, so I got my eye on the VW space vizzion if it ever comes to fruition.

Tour_X.jpg
I was drooling over that for a while but I did not pull the trigger. I probably would have if it was a real Buick. Something like a lacrosse V6 wagon with a bit more ground clearance and adjustable suspension. Don't get me wrong, I have an Opel (Saturn Sky Redline) and love it for canyon carving but for a wagon, I want more floaty ride with a bit more refined interior.

With lightening I think ride will be OK and we can tow.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms

Tour_X.jpg
This is so much more car than people appreciate. A pity.
I feel like kids in high school lack two things:
1) appreciation of cars
2) understanding finance, money and economics
3) science over religion or politics
4) making longer lists

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Hopefully Ford will improve the cooling system hose design on the lightning vs the E

Also, I thought I heard in the video that they will be producing various trim levels, not just the most expensive to start with.
Democratizing the EV truck experience. Just like ole Henry Ford did for auto-mobility in general with the model T.
Sponsored