• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Setting charging amperage

Who764

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
This has probably already been addressed, but I just can't seem to find the thread. If I am setting up a NEMA 14-50 plug for charging my Lightning, prior to receiving the Charge Station Pro, is there a way to limit the amps that the trucks pulls to charge? I know on a Tesla you can adjust the amps on the main screen, and I seem to remember reading that wasn't possible on the Lightning. Obviously, I don't want the truck trying to pull 50 amps on a 50 amp capable plug/50 amp breaker.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This has probably already been addressed, but I just can't seem to find the thread. If I am setting up a NEMA 14-50 plug for charging my Lightning, prior to receiving the Charge Station Pro, is there a way to limit the amps that the trucks pulls to charge? I know on a Tesla you can adjust the amps on the main screen, and I seem to remember reading that wasn't possible on the Lightning. Obviously, I don't want the truck trying to pull 50 amps on a 50 amp capable plug/50 amp breaker.
You can't set it in the truck - you have to set it via the EVSE.

Note: The highest power EVSE you will be able to buy that plugs into a 14-50 plug is going to be rated for 40A. If you are using the mobile EVSE that comes with the truck that pulls 32A (really around 30.5A).

OP
OP

Who764

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Got it, I would be using the mobile EVSE so that answers my question. Thanks!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Got it, I would be using the mobile EVSE so that answers my question. Thanks!
The FMC is rated to charge at 32A. Most people report about 30A actual.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
These are my experiences with the Charge Pro 80 amp charger. It has been installed at my place for almost three weeks now. At this moment, it is just a charger. You can set the charging limits thru your FordPass if you have your Lightning activated with connected Services. It is just a charger for me. When I was instructed to set up the charger, I downloaded the Ford Power Pro app and proceeded to set up the charger. That when I was unable to turn a dumb charger to a smart charger. The Power Pro app can't find the charger even if you stand right next to it. The charger can't find the app but the charger is connected to my home WiFi. Also the charger stopped working on Monday night ( amber code ). After spending 2+ hours on the phone trying to explain the customer service people ( numerous switches to supposedly knowledgeable people ???? ), I was put on hold and forgotten. They had my # to call back but no joy. Finally, frustrated ( even the wife felt my frustration from the living room ), I applied my Avionics troubleshooting techniques.
When avionics components fail, lock up or need new configuration updates, basically you pull the circuit breaker that feeds them electricity. It is like a reset. Wait 10 seconds and reapply power.
The charger is back. How long is going to work again before it fails, I don't know. I will find out soon. Ford is saying that there is an update to be done on the charger and the app so it should work properly. I haven't talked to anyone yet who know what they are doing or talking about it.
Frustrating. Supposedly they (Ford ), can do the update remotely. After last night's experience, I am doubtful. Still, I have to try again.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These are my experiences with the Charge Pro 80 amp charger. It has been installed at my place for almost three weeks now. At this moment, it is just a charger. You can set the charging limits thru your FordPass if you have your Lightning activated with connected Services. It is just a charger for me. When I was instructed to set up the charger, I downloaded the Ford Power Pro app and proceeded to set up the charger. That when I was unable to turn a dumb charger to a smart charger. The Power Pro app can't find the charger even if you stand right next to it. The charger can't find the app but the charger is connected to my home WiFi. Also the charger stopped working on Monday night ( amber code ). After spending 2+ hours on the phone trying to explain the customer service people ( numerous switches to supposedly knowledgeable people ???? ), I was put on hold and forgotten. They had my # to call back but no joy. Finally, frustrated ( even the wife felt my frustration from the living room ), I applied my Avionics troubleshooting techniques.
When avionics components fail, lock up or need new configuration updates, basically you pull the circuit breaker that feeds them electricity. It is like a reset. Wait 10 seconds and reapply power.
The charger is back. How long is going to work again before it fails, I don't know. I will find out soon. Ford is saying that there is an update to be done on the charger and the app so it should work properly. I haven't talked to anyone yet who know what they are doing or talking about it.
Frustrating. Supposedly they (Ford ), can do the update remotely. After last night's experience, I am doubtful. Still, I have to try again.
The amber code (signaling over temp) is a common fault with the original software version. If your FCSP is online (connected to Wi-Fi) it should automagically update and correct the problem - eventually. In the meantime, if you dial back the charge rate to 64A or less, it will avoid the error condition.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
The amber code (signaling over temp) is a common fault with the original software version. If your FCSP is online (connected to Wi-Fi) it should automagically update and correct the problem - eventually. In the meantime, if you dial back the charge rate to 64A or less, it will avoid the error condition.
The default setting from the factory is 7. Capable of 80amps. This is what was recommended to set at during the installation. I worked together with the electricians during the installation. Today I will again engage with Ford Customer Service to see what can we do to update the software. The charger is linked to the WiFi now.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score