• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Reducing EVSE amperage

Lucasw

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Dentist
Hello,
I tried finding the answer but have had no luck and hopefully it's an easy answer for one of the many knowledgeable peeps on this site.
I reduced my FCSP to charge at 60A through the FordPass app. The question I have is whether it is also necessary to remove the cover and turn the amperage dial down inside the unit itself? Does the physical dial set the max possible and then the app can find tune it?
Thanks for the advice
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The hardware derate is to accommodate installation on a less than 100A circuit in a code-compliant manner.

It not required for casual charge rate adjustments. Removing the dozen or so torx head screws every time you want to adjust would be a real pain!

OP
OP
Lucasw

Lucasw

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Dentist
The hardware derate is to accommodate installation on a less than 100A circuit in a code-compliant manner.

It not required for casual charge rate adjustments. Removing the dozen or so torx head screws every time you want to adjust would be a real pain!
Thanks, that's what I assumed. I'd not only remove the torx screws, but have to manipulate my Velcro that I "installed" to hold my cover on after I quickly broke the holding tabs on it 😔.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
IMHO, this should be configurable on the truck itself. The truck should have a setting to allow you to adjust the maximum amperage it is asking for. This would work independently of the type of charger you have.

Hardware derating is needed on the EVSE only when it is installed in a lower capacity circuit than the equipment is capable of delivering to protect the wiring. Software derating is a user choice either with the FSCP or if, with an update, can be settable on the truck to accommodate more location options.

For example, if you have a Ford Mobile charger that draws 30 amps, you cannot use this charger on a 30 amp circuit. If you could set the truck to ask for 24 amps, then you could. It would be a simple software limit setting on the onboard charger.

Hope Ford is watching this one.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I manually set mine in the FCSP. I trust a hardware setting much more than a software setting. And, we all know the deficiencies of Ford's software capabilities. I am powering it though a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. I initially set it at 40 amps (80% of 50), but the circuit breaker was getting warmer than I liked. I reset it to 32 amps, and all is fine. I have plenty of time for charging, so the lower rate is not an issue. Plus, a slower charge rate should be better for the HV battery.
Sponsored

Reactions: chl