• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Solar Panel Tonneau Cover

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Looks like its on a Tundra. Article says its for all makes, and could be a range extender for electric trucks. I would be curious as to how long it takes to charge the 2kW battery. One thing I see from this is that you're on the verge of the truck being too fragile to use for truck things. How much is it going to cost to repair or replace a panel or section when someone drops a hammer on it?

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The Lightning bed is going to be about the size of a normal solar panel 5.5ft x 3.25ft... which can *ideally* do ~400W.

If the cab is blocking any sun, it's less. If the sun is at an angle (which it would be most of the day), it's less.

In Florida, on my system's best days, I get about 6 kWh of energy for each 1 kW of panels. So, for a 0.4 kW panel, that's laid flat, I would expect a best case of ~2 kWh per day.

With the Lightning efficiency at ~2 mi/kWh, you're talking ~4 miles/day, max, often probably 2-3 miles/day.

Bbass5

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
The Lightning bed is going to be about the size of a normal solar panel 5.5ft x 3.25ft... which can *ideally* do ~400W.

If the cab is blocking any sun, it's less. If the sun is at an angle (which it would be most of the day), it's less.

In Florida, on my system's best days, I get about 6 kWh of energy for each 1 kW of panels. So, for a 0.4 kW panel, that's laid flat, I would expect a best case of ~2 kWh per day.

With the Lightning efficiency at ~2 mi/kWh, you're talking ~4 miles/day, max, often probably 2-3 miles/day.
Totally agree. I looked into this to see if it was even possible for lightning (more of a what-if/wouldn't that be cool) and given our current solar technology, it's not feasible. There are several videos on youtube about hooking electric vehicles like a tesla up to solar panels and seeing how well it would recharge.

• Yes, you CAN charge your Tesla with portable solar!!! ()
  • Adding a solar roof to a Tesla Model 3... ()
  • I Bought A $2,500 SOLAR TRAILER On Wish To Charge My Tesla!! ()

I do think that in about 10 or so years we will be at the point where electric vehicles and the support infrastructure will be such that it will totally be feasible and practical to own an electric vehicle for all travel. With solar, or superfast charging stations, etc. I love the Lightning and what Ford has done with it, but our family travels beyond the range enough that I'm not ready to take the plunge yet. I think by the next generation of EVs (5-10 yrs) the technology will be way better. BUT, if you are someone that stays with the range, the Lighting is a sa-weet truck!

RangerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
Might help with aerodynamics?
Downside is always hauling that extra weight around on a vehicle & trying to constantly find the best position for it vs installing it on a roof…

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bikes
Solar on your rig makes sense for an ICE rig with electric accessories. Using solar to keep your accessory battery charged so you have lights and a fan in the campsite is doable with a portable panel like these. Actually charging a vehicle, not so much.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier

The bed is actually twice as big as you wrote, and could provide twice the energy. Of course your point is still correct, the energy gained is so minuscule to be just about pointless.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The bed is actually twice as big as you wrote, and could provide twice the energy. Of course your point is still correct, the energy gained is so minuscule to be just about pointless.
A Lightning bed is twice as big as 5.5' x 3.25' ?

The actual bed dimensions appear to be
  • 67.1 inches long
  • 50.6 inches wide
Which would be 5.6' x 4.2' ?

So, that's 30% bigger (by area), nowhere near twice as big, but also, that assumes the ENTIRE bed is solar panel, which it isn't. There's the non-solar sections for support all along the edges and the three, non-solar "hinge" sections, too.

Maybe I'm missing something?

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
One thing I see from this is that you're on the verge of the truck being too fragile to use for truck things.
Why would a tonneau cover make the truck "fragile"? As a range extender adding about 10 miles a day, 2-3 kWh would be a nice boost when camping or leaving at the boat ramp for the day. Hope Ford offers the option to be able to install and connect it to the battery.

Sponsored

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Why would a tonneau cover make the truck "fragile"? As a range extender adding about 10 miles a day, 2-3 kWh would be a nice boost when camping or leaving at the boat ramp for the day. Hope Ford offers the option to be able to install and connect it to the battery.
I said on the 'verge of the truck being too fragile' and my opinion was in reference to the panels and potential damage, also in limiting the use of the truck bed for gravel mulch etc.

Counter part, how would spending $4-12,000 for 10 extra miles a day (and that's a very generous guess as how far the panels would allow range extension) be worth the cost?
Given:

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
A Lightning bed is twice as big as 5.5' x 3.25' ?

The actual bed dimensions appear to be
  • 67.1 inches long
  • 50.6 inches wide
Which would be 5.6' x 4.2' ?

So, that's 30% bigger (by area), nowhere near twice as big, but also, that assumes the ENTIRE bed is solar panel, which it isn't. There's the non-solar sections for support all along the edges and the three, non-solar "hinge" sections, too.

Maybe I'm missing something?
The 50.6 inches of bed width is measured between the rear wheel houses. Width of bed cover would add width of wheel houses plus width of lip along top edge of bed (partially). Probably come out to 75 inches of width for bed cover.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I said on the 'verge of the truck being too fragile' and my opinion was in reference to the panels and potential damage, also in limiting the use of the truck bed for gravel mulch etc.
Nothing fragile about the solar panels, they sit on roofs and endure hail, rain, snow, probably even tougher on the tonneau covers.

As for not being able to use the bed, if it doesn't fint under the bed then you fold the panels up and have near full use of the bed.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Nothing fragile about the solar panels, they sit on roofs and endure hail, rain, snow, probably even tougher on the tonneau covers.

As for not being able to use the bed, if it doesn't fint under the bed then you fold the panels up and have near full use of the bed.
Not going to comment about the size, the state of fragility, or any of the other arguments presented above...I only wonder if the trickle charge is really worth the cost of the system.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
.I only wonder if the trickle charge is really worth the cost of the system.
Depend on the value one puts on increasing the range and using sustainable power to cut emissions.

One could ask the same question of EV's in general where the value is in reducing green house gas emissions.

Glass roofs on cars have become common and sales point (don't like them myself and want the shade with a sunroof) but if these roofs were solar PV glass the 10 miles a day in clean power they create adds up when looking at 250,000,000 cars on the road being replaced by EV's adds up. Figure the 10 miles a day is 2kW of power on sunny day you can end up with some serious power generation in aggregate.

On a micro level. If I just make it to launch ramp with the F150EV and want to get out fishing but I'm near depleted the battery from the 100 mile tow, leaving the truck parked in the sun adds 10 miles that covers me to get to the charging station 8 miles away at the end of the day vs. having to stop to charge before going fishing.
Sponsored