• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Some Possibly New Insights into the Chevy Silverado WT4

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hey friends,
I was watching TFL's video from yesterday where they were driving the WT4 around and there was a few very interesting things I saw. From the middle screen, it was 76F out and they were driving approximately 25mph getting 2.1 miles / kwh. Most videos I've seen only discussed EPA range but never show the efficiency numbers and honestly, to me, that is much more important. With a assumed battery pack size of 212kWh, that's 445 miles to a charge. But that is also insanely low efficiency, in my opinion, if it truly was for only 25 mph. In the mid 70's I frequently pull over 3.0 miles / kWh driving that slow. My commute to work is 25 to 50 mph and I frequently end my drive at 3.1 trip efficiency with temps in the 80s running AC. Now it's hard to compare without having both running side by side, but it paints an interesting picture. I went ahead and found their original Silverado video from Michigan where it was 85F out and over their last mile driving in the 20's mph wise, they still were only pulling 2.0 miles / kWh. That's a lot less than the Lightning, which is surprising since it's more aero.

On the highway, I get 2.0 - 2.1 miles / kWh, which is roughly a 33% drop. Now, it's kinda bad math to assume the WT4 would have the same drop, but if they did, we're potentially talking about 1.3 miles / kWh on the highway which is then 275 miles tops on the interstate which is not that much more than I've pulled off on my Lariat ER. I'm not entirely convinced that efficiency number was 100% accurate, it's also not being shown in reviews. I still think it will certainly have more range, but for $79K and a significantly less fancy interior (look at the awful, airline esque plastic bezel around the center screen), I am very curious to see how it actually performs when people can take it on the highway and show us some miles / kwh numbers.

TFL has a series of tests planned including towing tests and the Ike Gauntlet so we'll get more opportunities to see how it really performs, but at initial glance I think people are going to be a bit shocked that with the weight of the Silverado it's not going to be a substantial improvement over the Lightning.

Video Link:
Sponsored

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
I agree that what I’ve seen from the Silverado EV so far is that it is shockingly inefficient for a “ground up EV truck”. I’m certain the weight is the issue and I know it will ultimately have more range than the ER lightning. But I drove 220 miles today, 200 of which was at 55-60 mph (100 mile in one direction and then return trip with some additional errands once back in my home town) and my Lariat ER got 2.6 mi/kwh for the trip. That’s good for 340 miles of range on a full charge. Based on what I’m seeing from first drives of the Silverado, the 4WT with the biggest pack, would do well to get 2.0 mi/kWh on the drive I did today which means about 425 miles of total range. Again that’s ultimately more range than my truck, but it’s not the 130 mile difference (450 vs. 320 miles) that the GM engineers are claiming. And my $80k truck is MUCH nicer than the $80k 4WT. I would take 50-75 miles less range to have the more premium interior and features for the same money. Plus don’t forget that the higher trim levels of the Silverado will have bigger wheels, more premium interiors which means even more weight and even less efficient than the 4WT. The 75 mile advantage may drop to less than 50 on the RST truck.

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
On the Hummer EV Truck the numbers appear to be pretty realistic.

why would the Silverado be any different?

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the Hummer EV Truck the numbers appear to be pretty realistic.

why would the Silverado be any different?
I'm just stating what I managed to see on their efficiency while driving. I don't think that can be answered until people can actually do highway tests with it. The Hummer EV was getting 1.6 miles / kWh at 70mph, so it would be odd that the Silverado would only get 2.0 driving less than 30-35mph but that's what TFL was getting.

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was quick! TFL's towing video just posted. At 70mph with a 6,500lb enclosed trailer, they were getting 1.1 miles / kWh which would give them roughly 240 miles of towing range. I was amused that Chevy's GoM is equally as awful, despite being in tow mode and getting 1.1 for over 100 miles it still told them they had 250 miles left when it was clear that they had much closer to 120 left. In comparison, when the Lariat ER was put on a similar test it only got 0.7 but the difference was that they traveled 1k ft up in elevation whereas the Chevy's test was out and back and should have a relatively flat cumulative profile. Even if you optimistically said the Lightning could get 1.0 - 1.1 like some users here have gotten, that's still only 130-140 miles of total range which is just over half the Silverado's.

It makes me think that due to weight, the Silverado may not be able to achieve similar efficiencies as the Lightning at slower speeds and without a trailer; however, the Chevy still obviously has a huge advantage due to the much larger pack. It comes with trade offs though, and I think the two trucks can exist in their own realm: The Chevy being very spartan in interior quality but capable of over 200 miles towing range whereas the Lightning might honestly be an outright better commuter getting more efficiency at slower speeds and having a nicer interior.

Video:

Sponsored
OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TFL has released a new video testing the range of the Silverado. Based off what I saw on their screens, they averaged 55mph (128.4 miles over 2:21 of driving). TFL claims later they were doing higher but honestly I think they may be leaning into hype a bit since the few times you can catch reflections they were doing only 60ish mph, granted they admitted there was an accident and traffic.

The truck reported a 24% loss, but more importantly, 56kWh of battery. This means it could have a whopping 220kWh battery. This would mean a possible highway range of 460 miles.

No other real way to skin the cat, clearly the truck will dominate in range performance. At similar speeds I've only ever managed to pull 280 miles going from 100-20% at 60-65mph and that also requires ideal conditions.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It will definitely win on range, but at what point do batteries start becoming a problem in weight, size and price?

I don't tow, but I would rather have a more affordable product, with less weight, that can charge fast. I can't wait to see their smaller battery option because they definitely have the fast charging speed.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The RST coming soon will be roughly on par with a Lariat in terms of features/comforts and it will be $107K.

The Silverado EV also uses a heat pump so it should experience significantly less loss in the winter.

It's still going to be years before GM is making these things in volume. They've only built 16K Hummer EVs in 2 years.
Sponsored