• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How Far a Chevy Silverado EV Can Tow vs a Gas Ford F-150!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Anybody figure out exactly how big the battery is in the Silverado?

Nice towing distance, but that has to be a huge battery. Efficiency seems on par with the Lightning. And I wish we had 800v charging.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Anybody figure out exactly how big the battery is in the Silverado?

Nice towing distance, but that has to be a huge battery. Efficiency seems on par with the Lightning. And I wish we had 800v charging.
I think car and driver said it was between 205-215.

They charged it and put 204.9 in it.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
the damn thing weights north of 8600 pounds...

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
I don’t understand the hate. Competition is good for the consumer, and increasing the range of EV trucks will benefit us all.

You have to imagine that Ford will attempt to top the Silverado / Sierra EV’s range with the T3 Lightning.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I don’t understand the hate. Competition is good for the consumer, and increasing the range of EV trucks will benefit us all.

You have to imagine that Ford will attempt to top the Silverado / Sierra EV’s range with the T3 Lightning.
I don't see any hate. Just commenting on the massive battery.

What is interesting, though, is the Chevy gets roughly the same efficiency towing as the Lightning. I would have assumed a ground-up design of an electric truck would have been more efficient than an ICE designed truck with a retrofitted electric drivetrain.

I am jealous of the 800v charging, but glad I didn't wait for T3 to buy.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I don't see any hate. Just commenting on the massive battery.

What is interesting, though, is the Chevy gets roughly the same efficiency towing as the Lightning. I would have assumed a ground-up design of an electric truck would have been more efficient than an ICE designed truck with a retrofitted electric drivetrain.

I am jealous of the 800v charging, but glad I didn't wait for T3 to buy.
As far as efficiency, it's hard to overcome the aerodynamics of that large trailer. I haven't watched too many of the new videos that tfl has out out on the Silverado. I am curious if it is getting the same or better efficiency when not towing.
Ya that charging speed is great, if you can find chargers that support it (and are working).

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

I don’t think it’s hate. I think that there will be a point where everyone is trying to get more range with bigger batteries that it’ll cost just as much to charge as filling up an ICE or at least close to it ( at least here on the Westcoast)

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
I can see the appeal of the Silverado EV to folks that tow long distances a lot.

For my use case, where I might tow long distance once a year, I don't think the daily penalty of lower efficiency and heavier weight of the Silverado would make sense. Plus when road tripping you'd have to find working 350KW chargers (good luck with that), since 150KW chargers would be too slow for that big battery.

I'd happily tow with the Lightning if we had more fast chargers and pull thru stalls. Let's see what next year brings in terms of access to Tesla chargers...
Sponsored