• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Steps you can, and should take, to ensure that your state doesn't give money to chargers that aren't usable

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I understand the thought of wanting the money to go to chargers that are easily compatible with all EVs, but that might be a new build only dream. We could sure use reliable 80% solutions within the next year and I’m fine with using some of the money for that. I’ve been to Walmarts where just parking in the charging spot required multiple backing operations. Then I had to play Bo Duke and climb out the window because there was no way to open the truck door wide enough for a normal human to exit the vehicle. All of that to have the charger not initialize and I had to wait for another station to open up. Luckily it was on the end and I could exit the vehicle through the door. I would take having to park creatively to have reliable charging solutions in a timely manner. Heck, I’ll even hood slide my truck and use the windows if the chargers will reliably work. Just get reliable solutions that work for most vehicles on the ground quickly. However, if they use the money to build something new, then I agree we hold the line for 100% reliable compatibility.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
That would be a total waste of your time. Do you think that this is an unknown (the short cord not reaching many vehicles)? Telsa knows.
yea, I'm not going to write to them either. My point was that customer demand needs to drive this not more government regulation

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
yea, I'm not going to write to them either. My point was that customer demand needs to drive this not more government regulation
Disagree. Customers are emotional. They don't evaluate based on enough factors.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The response I received from the state of Kansas.

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding charging cord considerations in the state’s NEVI Program. The issue of cord length has been part of the discussion of station design as more EV models become available and the location of the charging port is more varied. KDOT is aware of the issue and has multiple considerations regarding cord length.

Currently, KDOT is prioritizing NEVI investments in new charging stations, not the retrofitting of existing stations to meet the program’s minimum standards. This allows us to evaluate proposals on project elements like location, site layout, and station configuration. As part of the selection process, KDOT expects to provide additional consideration to stations that offer pull-thru access to charging ports rather than the common parking stalls. This improves access to vehicles of all types, including those pulling trailers.

salengueros

First Name
salen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Your proactive approach in reaching out to your state and the NEVI Project Management Team is commendable. It's heartening to hear that they're receptive to addressing the issue. Your experience has inspired me to take action too. I'm going to follow your lead and reach out to my state. Ensuring that charging infrastructure is inclusive and accessible to all EV users is crucial for our collective progress. Thanks for the heads up, RickLightning! And shoutout to Mortgage Broker in Wakefield for sparking this conversation. It's amazing how forums like this bring us all together to tackle real-world issues.
Sponsored

Last edited: