• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mobile charger that let's you set a charging window?

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Hi. I've looked a quite a few of the mobile chargers on Amazon and can't seem to find one that let's you set a charging time window. Some of them have start delays. And some have wifi so you could manually control it with an app. But, I'm looking for one where I can set a strict charge time window.

Does this exist or is this feature only available in permanently installed chargers?

Thanks.
Sponsored

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
The truck and/or FordPass app let you do this regardless of charger. If it determines based on rate that it cannot meet your charge level target in the defined charge times, it will charge outside of the preferred times.

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The truck and/or FordPass app let you do this regardless of charger. If it determines based on rate that it cannot meet your charge level target in the defined charge times, it will charge outside of the preferred times.
Thanks, but that's exactly what I don't want it to do. I want the truck to only charge in a window regardless of any other settings. If I can set that up in the truck via the locations mess, and it's reliable, then that's ok. If all I lose to make it reliable is never setting a departure time, that's fine, I can live without that.

All I want is:
FROM this time TO this time, charge up to a maximum of X percent (and with this many amps).

I don't need this to be location based.

Is that so hard Ford?

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
I agree, that would be a useful option. My off-peak and super off-peak rates are close enough that it doesn't bother me if the charging starts earlier. I like knowing I'm getting to my 80% charge level regardless of a little charging outside of the preferred window. But, hopefully more granular charging options can be added to the settings in a future update.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Mobile chargers never have these features, they're designed to just be glorified charging cords and that's it. You can tell the truck when it's allowed to charge and up to which percentage within the app. It won't start charging until the designated time, but will go beyond the stop time to reach your set charge percentage. So you may have to play with the charge percent a bit or dial it back on nights that you know it might take longer.

Many hard-wired chargers offer all the features you're looking for with full scheduling. Wallbox, charge point, etc.. I recently installed two charge point Home Flex chargers at two different properties. They work great, but you can only have one charger on a charge point account and that's irksome. So I have to have two separate accounts and I have to sign in and out of accounts on my charge point app to monitor/ manage them. I think they're working on addressing this, at least that's what their customer service people told me both by phone and email. It's not official that they're working on changing this but they wanted to say that it's been a popular request and their software team is aware.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks, but that's exactly what I don't want it to do. I want the truck to only charge in a window regardless of any other settings. If I can set that up in the truck via the locations mess, and it's reliable, then that's ok. If all I lose to make it reliable is never setting a departure time, that's fine, I can live without that.

All I want is:
FROM this time TO this time, charge up to a maximum of X percent (and with this many amps).

I don't need this to be location based.

Is that so hard Ford?
No EVSE allows the setting of a charge limit. Because it doesn’t know the charge level of the vehicle.

In 20 months with my Mach-E, I only lost charge locations once - after a dealer-applied software recall update. I think the Lightning works the same way. Just NEVER make charge settings in FordPass, always make them in the truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Here is how to accomplish your goal:

1) Set the limit in the saved charging location, and set the hours to those you want, or to anytime.

2) Buy a SMART EVSE and set the hours. JuiceBox 40.

The car will control the limit. The JuiceBox will never let it charge outside the hours you specify.
Sponsored