• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I think you should look at official numbers from the EIA instead of believing all of the propaganda from the left and right:
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS2&f=M

Screenshot 2022-03-26 003904.png
Exactly. It's also informative to overlay crude oil prices over the US oil production chart. Companies are only going to fund exploration and production if crude oil prices justify the expense. Government subsidies would lower the activation threshold, but ultimately the company decides when they want to drill a new well and pump oil.

Specifically, note that the steep rise in oil production starting in 2008, that lagged behind the rise in oil prices that started in the late 1990s. Notably, we had a Republican president while the prices were going up and a Democratic president while production was scaling up.

Oil sells on global market and it's not simple as saying Democrats hate oil and want expensive energy and Republicans love oil and want cheap energy.

Ford F-150 Lightning Study Finds Greater Greenhouse Gas Reductions For EV Pickup Trucks Than Light-Duty Vehicles crude-oil-price-history-chart-2022-03-26-macrotrends
Sponsored

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB, 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Retired
In spite of all this back and forth (very interesting discussion), my concerns are more about "this" when it comes to electric vehicles (I want one but my hybrid will have to do for now, thank you):

When I drive my pickup 175 miles pulling a 4000 lb trailer/camper into the deep woods during the winter to go hunting, where do I re-charge my battery, which is going to be very depleted? (my intent is to be using that truck throughout the week in the woods, not going 30 miles back to town). There is a reason there are 36 gallon tanks in trucks.

How soon will there be charging stations at every single parking spot at hotels and at every single filling station with adequate numbers to compensate for the additional required charging time?

How many years will it be for all gas vehicles to have zero resale value? How long before the number of gas stations remaining is so low they have to be searched for and located before a trip (like electric now)?

I understand that Ford is partnering on a solution to speed the charging process. How realistic is it to expect to recharge an electric as quickly as refilling with gasoline? How long before this is realized?

I don't expect anyone to answer these questions, but I would wish/hope that someone in government would consider these before mandating a wholesale switch away from gasoline to electric. To simply pick a number out of thin air (2035) and mandate that all new vehicles be electric, hoping all these issues will be solved, seems insane (and yet, typical)

Was a study really required to determine that greenhouse gas reductions would be greater for pickup trucks that light duty vehicles? This doesn't inspire much confidence that rational decisions are or will be made.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
How soon will there be charging stations at every single parking spot at hotels and at every single filling station with adequate numbers to compensate for the additional required charging time?

How many years will it be for all gas vehicles to have zero resale value? How long before the number of gas stations remaining is so low they have to be searched for and located before a trip (like electric now)?

This will probably take time before we get to par speeds with charging versus gasoline. We have been refining the technology for ICE engines for 100 years, but only just begun to explore batteries for higher energy density. Couple this with the fact that part of the payload for ICE engines (air) does not even need to be carried onboard at all, and you have a competition against an extremely energy dense medium.

Most people - generally speaking - will get by just fine charging at home every night., but that won't work for everyone. Long haul trucking won't work too well with batteries.

As for how soon we have most parking spots at hotels and filling stations with EV charging, it is coming faster than you think. When I started driving my EV in 2017, charging stations were rare. Now they are everywhere. 2030 is generally accepted as the date where 50% of all new car sales will be BEV's. That will spell the death for most uses of the ICE engine. Should prices of gas stay high, and charging stations even more quickly adopted, this date could come more quickly.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport (ordered)
Occupation
Trader
When I drive my pickup 175 miles pulling a 4000 lb trailer/camper into the deep woods during the winter to go hunting, where do I re-charge my battery, which is going to be very depleted?
Here's an idea; just run a spare generator off of your rear axle to keep your battery perpetually topped up!

<apology> I could not resist. I saw this on Facebook a few weeks ago and I spent the entire day unsuccessfully convincing those that wanted to believe it would work and that we were "wasting all that energy!" </apology>

Ford F-150 Lightning Study Finds Greater Greenhouse Gas Reductions For EV Pickup Trucks Than Light-Duty Vehicles generator

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Exactly. It's also informative to overlay crude oil prices over the US oil production chart. Companies are only going to fund exploration and production if crude oil prices justify the expense. Government subsidies would lower the activation threshold, but ultimately the company decides when they want to drill a new well and pump oil.

Specifically, note that the steep rise in oil production starting in 2008, that lagged behind the rise in oil prices that started in the late 1990s. Notably, we had a Republican president while the prices were going up and a Democratic president while production was scaling up.

Oil sells on global market and it's not simple as saying Democrats hate oil and want expensive energy and Republicans love oil and want cheap energy.

crude-oil-price-history-chart-2022-03-26-macrotrends.png
I had done that. Not terribly well, but I did.

Ford F-150 Lightning Study Finds Greater Greenhouse Gas Reductions For EV Pickup Trucks Than Light-Duty Vehicles chart-compare

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
In spite of all this back and forth (very interesting discussion), my concerns are more about "this" when it comes to electric vehicles (I want one but my hybrid will have to do for now, thank you):

When I drive my pickup 175 miles pulling a 4000 lb trailer/camper into the deep woods during the winter to go hunting, where do I re-charge my battery, which is going to be very depleted? (my intent is to be using that truck throughout the week in the woods, not going 30 miles back to town). There is a reason there are 36 gallon tanks in trucks.

I understand that Ford is partnering on a solution to speed the charging process. How realistic is it to expect to recharge an electric as quickly as refilling with gasoline? How long before this is realized?

I don't expect anyone to answer these questions, but I would wish/hope that someone in government would consider these before mandating a wholesale switch away from gasoline to electric. To simply pick a number out of thin air (2035) and mandate that all new vehicles be electric, hoping all these issues will be solved, seems insane (and yet, typical)

Was a study really required to determine that greenhouse gas reductions would be greater for pickup trucks that light duty vehicles? This doesn't inspire much confidence that rational decisions are or will be made.
Only the last 20 miles of the trip to the woods will be off-road, somewhere along the way before you get to that point you’re sure to have a charger. So really only 50 miles in and 50 out without access to charging, total of 100 while towing plus your driving while there. Easy peasy! And doesn’t your huge camping rig have a generator? Getting better and better. You’ll be just fine.
Sponsored