• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Suggestion That Tesla's FSD Technology Will Be Next Thing Elon Rents Out to Other Auto OEMs

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Interesting article in The Street on how Musk's edict that all new Teslas will come equipped with FSD (for $12,000 extra) has boosted Tesla stock.

Tesla stock leaps as Elon Musk pushes key technology tied to profit boost - TheStreet

In an "Oh, BTW ..." moment in the article, Musk is quoted as saying he's in discussions with another major auto OEM about providing FSD to them.

Musk has also said that Tesla is in discussions to license the technology to a "major" original-equipment manufacturer and is "very open to licensing our Full-Self-Driving software and hardware to other car companies."
"If Tesla is successful at landing one OEM, the likelihood that other carmakers jump on board is high. It would be a similar dynamic we’ve seen over the past month as seven carmakers have signed up to use Tesla’s charging network," Munster said.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I missed the tweet, but all of the normal rags picked up the news this week that Tesla is giving all cars 30 days free FSD. The last release has improved quite a bit they say. Hoping that it hits in the next couple of days. Have a 400 mile trip this weekend and since since my Ford product sits waiting on confirmation of a battery module and is undriveable, we'll just have to drive the Y.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Or.... Is the product in need of such a marketing gimmick that they are dumping it out en masse ?

The technology is somewhat impressive but it is not overly safe or viable, nor should it be called what its called.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
The only time I would pay for FSD would be looong distance road trips. In a few weeks I'm driving across the country east to west quite literally. Having something get me onto and off interstates where Blue Cruise then goes hands free would be nice.

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
They always say the next release, the one that's about to ship, will be just great. I remember this starting when they shipped an Autopilot V1 update that was literally vomit-inducing because of its steering behavior. Elon tweeting that the next release, the one he already had running on his car, was super smooth and didn't make anyone puke.

Instead he got in a urological competition with MobilEye and everything went backwards for years, including months of cars with no lane centering at all.

When we bought our 2015 Model S Tesla was promising in numerous public presentations, Elon's tweets, at analyst and shareholder meetings etc. that those very cars would be updated so they could "drive themselves across the country and pick you up at your front door". Instead, here now today, our 2020 Model Y still routinely runs a stop sign near my house if I forget to cancel the automation (never mind driving down the shoulders of certain rural roads as if they were traffic lanes, randomly braking as it approaches underpasses, mistaking traffic metering lights on adjacent highway entrances for stop lights on the highway itself and slamming on the brakes nearly getting us rear-ended at 70MPH, etc). That first Model S could parallel park itself every time. The Model Y won't even try because our building's driveway has trees and bushes too close to the road.

Bottom line: I will never buy another vehicle with Tesla's chronically over promised, under delivered automation. The only reason we bought the Y was that it was the only viable option for us at the time due to range reasons and Tesla had nerfed our Model S's battery, reducing its DC charge rate by nearly 50%, in an attempt to avoid warranty claims.

Why do you not hear more of this stuff over in the Tesla forums? Because they're full of fanboys who aspire to treat Tesla stock like Bitcoins, plus teenage right wing lunatics who idolize Elon personally - so complaints get shouted down. But though the company builds okay cars, they treat their customers like crap and their vaunted automation and over-the-air updates are a disaster their fans just try not to talk about. Really the one thing that's still great about Tesla is the charging network.

I think BlueCruise is good enough, and hope it gets better. But, please, @Ford Motor Company, don't go to Tesla for software of any kind.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Please no - I DO NOT want to rely on a vision only system. I like my extra sensors thank you very much.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Please no - I DO NOT want to rely on a vision only system. I like my extra sensors thank you very much.
I was just about to post this. AP with vision is trash compared to even Co-Pilot 360. Tesla would have to rework FSD with sensors so I doubt this is ever going to happen.

Tesla has committed to stalkless and sensor less smh
Sponsored