• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla FSD (Full Self Driving) tested. BlueCruise is good enough

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Elon gave us Tesla owners a 30 day free trial of FSD. I was lucky enough to have it download and ready to go this morning.

I will say that FSD is like driving with a student driver who is taking lessons. This new version is supposed to be a lot better than all the old versions but to be honest it's not ready for prime-time. The car stops way too early sometimes stopping 2-3 times before reaching the stop sign. It likes to travel 10 mph below the speed limit, you have to give it some acceleration in order to get it going. In the hands of a novice who thinks it's truly hands free I can see a lot of accidents from this feature. If you ever see a Tesla looking like it doesn't know how to drive it's probably using FSD.

- Autopark is awesome
- The UI on the screen is awesome
- On the freeway is where it shines but essentially its just Autopilot

I post this to say that BlueCruise is good enough for the everyday driver and if you are considering a Tesla save your $12K, I truly feel bad for Cybertrucks owners who purchased the FS version. Ford is on the right track and I don't believe them or any other manufacturer needs to develop or look into any of the street level self driving. After a while I stopped using FSD as it was pretty much useless. If Tesla offered the graphics at $500 I would purchase.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla FSD (Full Self Driving) tested. BlueCruise is good enough IMG_1170 2
Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Set it to assertive and try it again, much less student driver vibes.

Blue cruise is total dogshit compared to Autopilot IMO. It's not even a close comparison. Also, Blue cruise is just a trial. Ford wants you to subscribe monthly...

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

Blue cruise is total dogshit compared to Autopilot IMO. It's not even a close comparison. Also, Blue cruise is just a trial. Ford wants you to subscribe monthly...
That’s what I’ve been driving on all day.

I disagree, having experience with both over 50k miles BC is a lot better. I will say AP with US sensors was better than BC. Vision is a step down.

I agree, the trial monthly subscription has to end ….

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
That’s what I’ve been driving on all day.

I disagree, having experience with both over 50k miles BC is a lot better. I will say AP with US sensors was better than BC. Vision is a step down.

I agree, the trial monthly subscription has to end ….
Maybe 1.whatever will fix some of this, but I can't drive from SD to Irvine without at least a dozen disengagements. Drifts out of the lane, no warning, just junk. It keeps pace well, but every radar cruise does that. This is on fully blue cruise mapped highways. Should be a no brainer... Right??

After this experience, I'm kinda sour prematurely on the capabilities of the next version. It already feels like the system is overtaxed processing wise based on the other UI in the vehicle. I'm not sure how adding a more complex software on top is gonna work out. And since it's been a year since it's been announced (ish), it's kinda backing up my feelings by lack of action.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

The problem with FSD is consistency. It’s awesome on my X, and absolutely terrible on my S. Cars are built within 2 months of each other and they react completely differently on the same stretch of road.

I’ve driven for years on both bluecruise and FSD/Autopilot and…neither is ready for me to go to sleep at the wheel for.

I actually prefer my AP1 in certain situations over FSD, but obviously FSD does things it can not, so it is situational. Long stretches of highway, I prefer the bluecruise on my Lightning…but it too seems inconsistent depending on the road.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Also received the SW and FSD trial yesterday morning on the Y. Have a 400 mile trip this weekend and since the truck is in the shop, we'll go try it out.

I had FSD on my old 3 and it was a long way from prime time, but so it Blue Cruise. I won't use BC because of the lack of warning when it turns off. Every time I've used BC I get an audible warning when it doesn't have the data it needs to work and hands free turns off the first time, but it doesn't warn on subsequent shut offs. Its off and on, literally ever minute or two on parts of I-35.

Tesla has never failed to warn me when it was shutting off or I needed to take control.

Will see how it goes this weekend.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Blue Cruise is a different product than FSD.

I really enjoy my Blue Cruise (while not perfect) for my use case, i.e. a lot of freeway driving 100+ miles.

It will be interesting to see what the next version of Blue Cruise is capable of...and if Ford will put more cameras in their EVs. Not to compete with FSD, but to enhance Blue Cruise. If Blue Cruise improves from its good self now, should be a helluva a feature.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Blue Cruise is a different product than FSD.

I really enjoy my Blue Cruise (while not perfect) for my use case, i.e. a lot of freeway driving 100+ miles.

It will be interesting to see what the next version of Blue Cruise is capable of...and if Ford will put more cameras in their EVs. Not to compete with FSD, but to enhance Blue Cruise. If Blue Cruise improves from its good self now, should be a helluva a feature.
I agree and this is what I think they need to work on. Making it for freeway/commute driving and not worry about the street.

FSD on the highway still wanted to go below the speed limit, BC has done this when it automatically changes the speed limit. It’s raining today so I’ll try FSD out in the rain.

I still think it’s incredible that Tesla is bringing this to the masses but they need to be cautious with this free trial. I can see why people feel Tesla drivers are the worst, theyre probably on FSD.

KingStraasha

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue
On the topic of paying, you pay a huge amount upfront for Enhanced AP ($6k) and FSD ($12K) which over 6 years equals $1K and $2k per year. How is $800 per year too expensive? If you received the 3-year trial, then you would pay only $2.4K over six year. In order to pay the same amount as Enhanced AP, then you would have to own the truck for over 10 years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
On the topic of paying, you pay a huge amount upfront for Enhanced AP ($6k) and FSD ($12K) which over 6 years equals $1K and $2k per year. How is $800 per year too expensive? If you received the 3-year trial, then you would pay only $2.4K over six year. In order to pay the same amount as Enhanced AP, then you would have to own the truck for over 10 years.
Thats the other part of it and IMO, FSD is worth $2k at most. EAP is probably worth the same.

Anyone paying $12k for this is out their mind.

Maybe pay the $199 monthly every time they come out with an improvement or if you are taking a trip. Other than that save your money.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
How much blue cruise functionality remains after the 3 year trial period? I assume hands free driving disappears, but how much lane keeping assistance remains? What about adaptive cruise control?

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
How much blue cruise functionality remains after the 3 year trial period? I assume hands free driving disappears, but how much lane keeping assistance remains? What about adaptive cruise control?
It’ll be the same except keeping your hands on the wheel. Which is a reason I think Ford is trying to push out these new features with BC. I’d say only a small, less than 1% would subscribe if it stayed the same.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Still young enough to use the pedals and the wheel (figured I'd done that for about 2 round trips to the moon without serious issues so why risk my life to someone coding? LOL)

JohnnyEV

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Tried FSD today on the Wife's Y it's pretty good. Acceleration is a little fast and unnatural though. I have it set to normal, will need to try the other modes. I still prefer BC on the highway with hands free. Maybe it's because I used AP for so long with hands on.
Sponsored