• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Temporarily lost power to front motors

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So I was driving on the highway, and it was 37 degrees F. I came to a stop (red light), and noticed that half of my available powertrain was gone. So then I tried to accelerate, and notice its not the same as it should be and only the rear motors are accelerating/getting regen. On the next traffic light, I did a full power off/power on, and still the same issue. So when I finally got to work, I let it sit after shutting it down for a few minutes, and turned it back on. I then noticed it had full power to both motors and it had the same power that I was used to. I had no errors on the dash, and I even toyed with a few of the modes to be sure nothing nefarious was going on. Preconditioning was used this morning too.

Ford F-150 Lightning Temporarily lost power to front motors IMG_0632
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So I was driving on the highway, and it was 37 degrees F. I came to a stop (red light), and noticed that half of my available powertrain was gone. So then I tried to accelerate, and notice its not the same as it should be and only the rear motors are accelerating/getting regen. On the next traffic light, I did a full power off/power on, and still the same issue. So when I finally got to work, I let it sit after shutting it down for a few minutes, and turned it back on. I then noticed it had full power to both motors and it had the same power that I was used to. I had no errors on the dash, and I even toyed with a few of the modes to be sure nothing nefarious was going on. Preconditioning was used this morning too.

IMG_0632.jpg
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your power loss concern on my end.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This happened to me and one other member here after the most recent software power up update. Hasn’t happened since, and I have driven over 4K miles since that incident.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
This happened to me and one other member here after the most recent software power up update. Hasn’t happened since, and I have driven over 4K miles since that incident.
It sounds like you are dammed if you do the update and dammed if you don't. I always thought I would delay my update to see if anyone else's truck blows up but it sounds like updates may not go as smoothly if you don't do auto updates. Some say Ford may do the update anyway even if you opt out. I am getting really confused about what the options are and what is the best strategy. Can you get accumulated update after skipping individual updates? or it has to do them in sequence? will you lose the option to get one of them if you wait for three updates to pass?

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I currently have 3.5.5 installed, and I hope thats it. Its scary since I use this vehicle mainly for work, and for driving the family around. If it was just me, it would be just a inconvenience, but with the family it could be a big issue... especially in the middle of no where.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It sounds like you are dammed if you do the update and dammed if you don't. I always thought I would delay my update to see if anyone else's truck blows up but it sounds like updates may not go as smoothly if you don't do auto updates. Some say Ford may do the update anyway even if you opt out. I am getting really confused about what the options are and what is the best strategy. Can you get accumulated update after skipping individual updates? or it has to do them in sequence? will you lose the option to get one of them if you wait for three updates to pass?
I’m not exactly sure but I assume you will eventually get every update whenever you decide to update your truck, meaning old updates might be in the new update as well or you won’t allowed to update unless you have an old update …… lol

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I currently have 3.5.5 installed, and I hope thats it. Its scary since I use this vehicle mainly for work, and for driving the family around. If it was just me, it would be just a inconvenience, but with the family it could be a big issue... especially in the middle of no where.
I still don’t have 3.5.5 yet, it happened to me with 3.4. But I know what you mean, I was headed to work and was ready to turn around and drive my ICE. I decided to turn it off and on, it worked.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor

IMG_0632.jpg
Same happened to me. It went back to normal rhe next key cycle. But 2 days later I lost 30 miles of range. Keep an eye out for that. It could be related

kvasiir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Happened to me once, too. Months ago now, but it hasn't happened again since.