• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Took truck in because it has never received an OTA update. Service was clueless

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I'm with you. My build was 12/20 and not one update has been offered or installed since getting it in February. I'm dropping it off tomorrow morning for attempt #3 with the dealer.

It took weeks of back-and-forth with the ford "OTA Team" until I was able to determine that updates sent to my truck were reported as "failed" (there was no indication whatsoever in my Sync or FP app). On previous visits, dealer has stated everything from absolute cluelessness to trying to charge me "diagnostic fees" at $198/hr.

For the "why", it seems that one or more of the power-ups/core sync versions have resolved issues like the dash cluster reset that has plagued my truck from day one. In addition to that, there are additional features available to systems with the updates like cameras at speed, onboard scale displays, in-dash integration for non-Sync nav systems, etc.

I too have reset my Sync system more times than I can count. It was my understanding that the Sync4 system is NOT able to manually updated via USB like the previous versions. If anyone has any actual experience that contradicts this, I'd love to hear about it!

Hoping third time's a charm with this... I've specifically requested that any available updates be manually installed in addition to troubleshooting the cluster reset. That being said, I'd be lying if I said I had any level of optimism.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
settings > reset
Did this yesterday afternoon. No change.

I am basically in the same boat as sonofzell, but not on trip #3 yet by any means. But if the service staff at my dealer can’t figure it out, I don’t really know what I’ll do.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
I have a Feb 2021 Build Limited, I got 2 updates and then nothing after 1.4, My truck is at the dealership now at the direction of Ford customer relations dept.,...OH..... Ford also told me that the dealership could now do whatever they need to do to activate Blue Cruise, Dealership said they would update me Monday
Please keep us informed on the bluecruise update.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Last 2 times I was in, (total 3 times so far), they updated all the modules to 1.7 except for one. The APIM module. It simply will not let them update it manually and keeps giving them an error. For what it is worth, the APIM update available also gives them a hard time downloading to their puter.
They believe it's locked somewhere in the Ford Mothership and it fails ota and via their puter. Ford needs to fix this. They are waiting for Ford Eng to get back to them and if they cannot get a straight answer, they want Ford to ok them replacing the apim module. They will not do it without Ford's ok because if it doesn't solve the problem, the dealer is stuck with it and I'll still have no resolve. Seems like the older builds off the line have this issue. Mine was also bult Feb of 21.... del in March... Most latter do not seem to have any ota issues.

Sponsored

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited
Last 2 times I was in, (total 3 times so far), they updated all the modules to 1.7 except for one. The APIM module. It simply will not let them update it manually and keeps giving them an error. For what it is worth, the APIM update available also gives them a hard time downloading to their puter.
They believe it's locked somewhere in the Ford Mothership and it fails ota and via their puter. Ford needs to fix this. They are waiting for Ford Eng to get back to them and if they cannot get a straight answer, they want Ford to ok them replacing the apim module. They will not do it without Ford's ok because if it doesn't solve the problem, the dealer is stuck with it and I'll still have no resolve. Seems like the older builds off the line have this issue. Mine was also bult Feb of 21.... del in March... Most latter do not seem to have any ota issues.
My Limited was also a Feb 2021 build and March delivery, I am expecting the same result that you got with my truck at the dealership today

Finnster

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Contractor
Hi, I’m new here.
I have a 2021 Limited. I can’t receive updates either. I can’t even toggle on the “automatic updates” on the sync screen. I’m at 1.4. Dealer can’t fix it either, they tried for 4 hours. They said they will call Ford….oh well.
The other issue is a “general ground fault” on generator. They can’t fix that either. They said Ford is aware of the problem with this on the PowerBoost but currently there isn’t a fix.
I broke my personal rule of “never buy a 1st year model” …..meaning the PowerBoost.
For what it’s worth, I’ve been to 2 dealerships and neither can fix it, and these are HUGE well known dealerships.
At least the truck looks good…..lol. But I’m done wasting my time at this point.

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Hi, I’m new here.
I have a 2021 Limited. I can’t receive updates either. I can’t even toggle on the “automatic updates” on the sync screen. I’m at 1.4. Dealer can’t fix it either, they tried for 4 hours. They said they will call Ford….oh well.
The other issue is a “general ground fault” on generator. They can’t fix that either. They said Ford is aware of the problem with this on the PowerBoost but currently there isn’t a fix.
I broke my personal rule of “never buy a 1st year model” …..meaning the PowerBoost.
For what it’s worth, I’ve been to 2 dealerships and neither can fix it, and these are HUGE well known dealerships.
At least the truck looks good…..lol. But I’m done wasting my time at this point.
What month was your truck manufactured. I have a platinum that was built in 4/21 and I also havent gotten any updates

Finnster

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Contractor
What month was your truck manufactured. I have a platinum that was built in 4/21 and I also havent gotten any updates
Not sure. I will have to check. But I’m pretty sure it was around then if not a bit earlier.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost, 2017 Ram 1500
Not sure if it helps, but I was running older software with no updates until I bought an unlimited data plan. I kept maxing out the trial data plan; within a week of activating the unlimited data on my truck I got 1.7.1, followed by 2.1.1 another week or so later. It might help to connect the truck to home wifi and leave it on for as long as you can (powerboost generator mode?).. maybe with enough time on good wifi it will download / update

Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Not sure if it helps, but I was running older software with no updates until I bought an unlimited data plan. I kept maxing out the trial data plan; within a week of activating the unlimited data on my truck I got 1.7.1, followed by 2.1.1 another week or so later. It might help to connect the truck to home wifi and leave it on for as long as you can (powerboost generator mode?).. maybe with enough time on good wifi it will download / update
My truck is connected to home wifi 90% of the time. What do you use the unlimited data plan for in your truck to connect devices to

Finnster

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Contractor
My truck is connected to home wifi 90% of the time. What do you use the unlimited data plan for in your truck to connect devices to
Mine connects to my home Wi-Fi everyday. Doesn’t make any difference.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0 Lariat SCREW Space White
Same here. Like someone else said. At least the truck looks good I suppose?
Sure, the truck looks good, but are we supposed to just accept Ford's mediocre QC and Service just because the trucks look good? I'll be honest with you, Ford doesn't do a good enough job trying to prevent me from having buying remorse.

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Sure, the truck looks good, but are we supposed to just accept Ford's mediocre QC and Service just because the trucks look good? I'll be honest with you, Ford doesn't do a good enough job trying to prevent me from having buying remorse.
No, not at all. I agree with you and I am definitely going to pursue all options with the dealership and/or Ford corporate to get it fixed. Including claiming that the truck is basically a lemon. Or false advertisement, however you want to look at it.
Sponsored

Reactions: sbi