• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing my truck with my truck

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
My lightning is replacing a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport. I did not want to deal with a private party sale. It would be one thing if the truck would sell for a few thousand, but a Tacoma with less than 11k miles is worth more than that. I also did not want to to sell until my lightning arrived. My boat needs to come home and though the taco struggles with the boat, it gets the job done 10 miles each way twice a year.

Vroom offered 28xxx, local Toyota dealer 30,000 even, Ford dealer 29,000 KBB offered 32xxx, down about a grand from a month ago but the local kbb dealer did not follow through with an actual offer. Carvana came out the best for me at 32,3xx. Vermont lets me apply the sale price to offset sales tax.

So, carvana, that company that says they will bring you a car and pick up one up from your door...Well, it be depends on where you live. Though inconvenient, for a few thousand dollars I will put up with some inconvenience. The closest carvana drop off location is 100 miles from home. So 65 dollars on a one day rental of a car transport trailer at the local U-Haul is my solution.

I loaded the taco on the trailer after work today and took it for a 20ish mile test drive to get a feel for it. The drive was 35 minutes and 18.5 miles. I averaged 1.7 miles per kWh. As many of you know the lightning has copious power. It accelerated without putting up a fuss, towing a 6900 pound trailer (2200ish trailer, 4700 Tacoma). I prefer the electric brakes on my boat trailer, but the surge brakes will have to do.

The Tacoma is going away tomorrow. I do not expect to get anything close to the 1.7 miles per kWh on the drive down to Glens Falls. I expect to fight rain and a 15mph to 25mph south wind. Roads have speed limits of 25 to 65, though much of it will be on 50mph roads. For all those people (like my Toyota living brother in law) who say the lightning can't tow...I anticipate that it will be a great experience. I will update when I have towing data for tomorrow's drive and add more pictures. Included is one of the boat. (It was getting dark when I took the picture.
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing my truck with my truck IMG_20210615_203917596_HDR
)
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing my truck with my truck IMG_20221012_183620350
Sponsored