• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Toyota's solid state batteries

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
This looks like someone has taken Toyota's press release and reformatted it into a news story.

The reality is that Toyota has been working on solid-state batteries for the last 10 years. Back in 2017 they claimed they'd have them in vehicles by 2025, and now they say it'll be more like 2027-2028 -- so this is really an announcement of a delay wrapped in positive language.

Solid-state batteries have significant advantages for EVs -- primarily a significant boost in energy density. However, I don't expect that we'll see them on the market until near the end of the decade, probably appearing in a few 2028 or 2029 models, and more widely available in the first f ew years of the 2030's.

I'd expect that by then we will have stabilized on a preferred EV range and will be well on our way to having a charging infrastructure to support it. This should greatly reduce range anxiety. So rather than enabling 600-1000 mile ranges to address range anxiety, I'd expect that when solid-state batteries do arrive, they will be used to deliver "normal" (300-500) mile ranges with smaller, lighter, and cheaper batteries.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
It is inevitable that electric storage technology will improve. The article states "may have solved the range and battery weight problem". These are pretty bold statements and I expect there will be some weight behind it however they still need to solve the safety issues. If it can charge in 10 minutes, it can also discharge that much energy very quickly making it a watch item for safety and a few hurdles that will need to be managed through the standards organizations.

This is exciting news and it will be interesting to see when/if it becomes commercially available. Now we need some competition to kick things into gear.

So here is a question. Who would be silly enough to strap a tank of highly explosive liquid right on top of very hot pipes?? I ride my motorcycle almost daily ;-)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Cold fusion reactors have been “5 years away from commercial viability” for the past 25 years. Solid state batteries seem to be following a similar trajectory.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Very much in the "I will believe it when I see it" camp.

Call me when it is actually on sale.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
First question to ask is did they actually manufacturer a cell.

Second question (most likely doesn't have to be asked based on question 1) what is the capacity of the cell you have actually manufactured.

If it is below 20 Ah, then it is still a lab sample/prototype. If it is over 20 Ah, then question 3 is when will you be able to scale it to a useable capacity for manufacturing.

I caught their original press release at https://interestingengineering.com/...akthrough-reduce-costs-and-size-by-50-percent and had to reread it several times to confirm they did not actually produce a cell.
Sponsored