• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How long will our batteries last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
In recent article on Insiders.com it was reported that historical 2.5% of battery packs had to be replaced every year but only 1% of newer batteries had to replaced every year. I didn’t find this information very useful so I decided to project those numbers to life expectancy. Life expectancy would be the years wherat least 50% of the battery packs are replaced.

Using the formula of 1.X^Y where X is the yearly percentage and Y is the number of years required to reach 50% I calculated it takes about 16 years for 2.5% per year to reach 50% and about 40 years for 1% per year to reach 50%. Of course it will take decades before anyone can validate these numbers. But it’s interesting to think that 40 years from now half of all the Lightnings on the road today will still be using their original battery packs.

So next time someone tells they are worried about the longevity of the Lightning battery packs tell them there is a 50-50 chance that the battery packs will last 40 years and will possibly outlast the person expressing the skepticism.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I was parking in the loading zone of Menard's loading 20 bags of fertilizer. A woman said "nice truck". I said "thanks". Her husband/boyfriend said "how much is a new battery?"

I could have given him a statistical answer, but he was clearly a moron so I said "15, 20 years, so what do I care?".

He stared at me dumbfounded. Always remember:

Ford F-150 Lightning How long will our batteries last? Carlin stupid people

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
I also suspect/expect, by the time most of us need to swap a battery , the price of batteries will have come down by quite a bit. I’m also wondering if at that point we couldn’t upgrade to a newer/newest battery type. It is going to be interesting.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I was parking in the loading zone of Menard's loading 20 bags of fertilizer. A woman said "nice truck". I said "thanks". Her husband/boyfriend said "how much is a new battery?"

I could have given him a statistical answer, but he was clearly a moron so I said "15, 20 years, so what do I care?".

Carlin stupid people.jpg
Lmao. It’s crazy the amount of questions you get driving an ev…especially a truck ev.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Once a Lightning battery hits 70-80% SOH, how easily would it be to convert it to just a battery pack? Meaning, charge the pack with solar panels and then draw electricity for home from battery bank. Although having 70-80% of health on a vehicle would be a challenge, for home backup it wouldn't be too devastating.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center

Carlin stupid people.jpg
I always say "how much does it cost to replace your transmission?" Same thing, both warrantied for about the same length.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I always say "how much does it cost to replace your transmission?" Same thing, both warrantied for about the same length.
I like that answer.

The "people" that ask the question get their info from political news outlets where they believe the car will ignite just after the battery cost $46k to replace.

At local homeowners meeting at my rural cabin last weekend it was asked what the HOA is doing to plan on handling EV Battery fires.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Isn't for the Ford ICE powertrain warranty only good for 5 years / 60k? Our EV powertrain is covered much longer!

Steven Walsh

First Name
Ateven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-159 Lightning SR 2022
Occupation
Architect
In recent article on Insiders.com it was reported that historical 2.5% of battery packs had to be replaced every year but only 1% of newer batteries had to replaced every year. I didn’t find this information very useful so I decided to project those numbers to life expectancy. Life expectancy would be the years wherat least 50% of the battery packs are replaced.

Using the formula of 1.X^Y where X is the yearly percentage and Y is the number of years required to reach 50% I calculated it takes about 16 years for 2.5% per year to reach 50% and about 40 years for 1% per year to reach 50%. Of course it will take decades before anyone can validate these numbers. But it’s interesting to think that 40 years from now half of all the Lightnings on the road today will still be using their original battery packs.

So next time someone tells they are worried about the longevity of the Lightning battery packs tell them there is a 50-50 chance that the battery packs will last 40 years and will possibly outlast the person expressing the skepticism.
when my Lightning gets to the point I need to replace it for whatever reason I will be taking the battery out and repurposing it as a Home Battery Backup. In fact, I bought one of the first Lightnings available because at that price less the tax credits it was cheaper per kWh battery capacity than Tesla Powewall batteries which I was going to buy. So I got the Lightning instead to serve as our home battery backup supply and also got a free truck to boot. I could justify leaving it parked in my garage indefinitely, and I do leave it in there if there is a chance the power is going to go out, but otherwise I enjoy driving my free truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I also suspect/expect, by the time most of us need to swap a battery , the price of batteries will have come down by quite a bit. I’m also wondering if at that point we couldn’t upgrade to a newer/newest battery type. It is going to be interesting.
Upgrading a battery when replacing has already occurred with Ford.

I've been driving a Focus Electric for 6.5 years and I've lost count of the number of times someone sent me the article about that guy that had to pay $25k to replace the battery in his FFE.

Truth is, there was an issue with pre-2017 batteries (28 kWh) where coolant would leak inside. Once this was known, people knew to look for dropping coolant level with nothing dripping under the vehicle. They would get it in and the battery would be replaced under warranty. Also, the "new" (usually rebuilt) would be a 2017/2018 battery (33 kWh).

Sponsored

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
I like that answer.

The "people" that ask the question get their info from political news outlets where they believe the car will ignite just after the battery cost $46k to replace.

At local homeowners meeting at my rural cabin last weekend it was asked what the HOA is doing to plan on handling EV Battery fires.
Yea - I get similar questions
I drive from Oregon Coast to Seattle weekly - had the lightning 6 months.

In those 6 months have seen three vehicle fires along I5. Latest was last Friday.

In all instances they were ICE fires.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
At 70% capacity, for city commuting I'd still have 260 miles of range or 180ish freeway. That's plenty, enough to get me where I typically travel to with just an extra stop required. By that time I'll be retired so I likely won't care if it takes me an extra 30 minutes. No plans to swap the battery out unless I have to or there's a significant advantage to do so.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Realistically speaking though... how many people on this forum will keep this truck long term (5+ years)? Batteries will get cheaper and better, and how quickly they will charge will also change. For myself, I usually think about getting an updated version right about the 2.5 year mark or until a new generation +1 year comes out. I know technology will improve, and the older versions won't get anymore updates. So I try to get ahead of some type of planned obsolescence.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Realistically speaking though... how many people on this forum will keep this truck long term (5+ years)? Batteries will get cheaper and better, and how quickly they will charge will also change. For myself, I usually think about getting an updated version right about the 2.5 year mark or until a new generation +1 year comes out. I know technology will improve, and the older versions won't get anymore updates. So I try to get ahead of some type of planned obsolescence.
In 3-5 years it will be interesting to see the trade in/resale value of the MY22/23. I am a little worried the resale value won't be very good. Not that I necessarily purchase a vehicle based upon resale value, but for me, it does impact next vehicle purchase. I am not interested in eating significant depreciation.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
In 3-5 years it will be interesting to see the trade in/resale value of the MY22/23. I am a little worried the resale value won't be very good. Not that I necessarily purchase a vehicle based upon resale value, but for me, it does impact next vehicle purchase. I am not interested in eating significant depreciation.
We all know buying virtually any type of vehicle is a bad investment. With that said, based on what I am seeing on a new 2024 F150 Lightning Platinum lease of $92K @ 12K miles per year:

24 months: 47% Residual - $43,240.00
60 months: 28% Residual - $25,760.00

Based on a new 2024 F150 ICE Platinum lease of $79k @ 12K miles per year:

24 months: 55% Residual - $43,615.00
60 months: 41% Residual - $32,513.00

There are factors in this obviously, but this is what I am seeing/was told. This could also change year to year based on market conditions, and how ICEs and EVs are selling.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.