• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Transition to EV, why Ford/GM still need dealers to sell the trucks?

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
No, we don't need dealers, at all. They are redundant.
But we will still need a service locations in an EV world. One big complaint I hear from the Telsa world is frustration over lack of service facilities.

I would venture that a significant number of vehicle service events are non-ICE related. A Tesla power window / power seat motor / Infotainment screen is just as likely to fail as a Ford ICE vehicle. EVs and modern ICE vehicles are both very computer and sensor dependent - those are the new points of failure.

Even on my old, primitive ‘02 F250 I had needed as many services due to sensors and wiring harness than ICE system failures in it’s 362k mile service life. And the ICE failures were in belt-driven accessories and not the engine itself.
Sponsored

Marshall

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software
Do we live in the same USA? No way in hell that'll ever pass.
It already exists at the state level in a limited number of states and in a limited capacity of course, but in Massachusetts in particular it has even been expanded to include telematics data.

The expanded law is currently being challenged in court, but based on recent back and forth with the auto industry, it looks like the judge may be signaling that he will uphold the expansion of the law. I believe that he is expected to rule in early March sometime.
Sponsored