• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wave 6 transition to MY2023

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
With orders for the first MY22 assumed to be 15,000 being spread over 3 months and Ford MY often switching over in Factory around June, Does it make sense that MY2023 orders would pickup in Apr after wave 6('22) is done?

Regardless of when 2023 ordering starts is it likely to be more of a free for all? There seems to be random mentions that after MY22 the reservation timestamp will mean something but there's no indication of waves.
If there is no wave, and there is still a constraint on trims and overall availability how do they manage that? Daily waves that they dont call waves? ..or let everyone order and then just reorder and cancel people as other higher priorities timestamps come in? With no waves, If they start by inviting the earliest timestamps they cant wait forever for someone to pull the trigger before they move on to the next customer.

And for people who passed in wave 1-6 to wait for a better trim, it seems like they would be first in line to pick through the new stock of 23 PRO's in the order bank by April22 for a possible October22 Delivery. Which makes me think there's no need to stretch for the last truck(probably a platinum)in wave 6, when you can just wait a couple weeks for all the trims you want to pick from. If you were Wave 1-6 for 22 you'd seem guaranteed first shot somehow in 2023 which is likely following soon behind. Right? They'll be selling more 23's this year than 22's.

Order MonthProduction MonthDelivery MonthQuantity
MY 2022JanApr/MayJun/Jul3500
MY 2022FebMay/JunJul/Aug5000
MY 2022MarJun/JulAug/Sep6500
MY 2023AprJulOct7000
MY 2023MayAugNov7000
MY 2023JunSepDec7000
MY 2023JulOctJan8000
MY 2023AugNovFeb9000
MY 2023SepDecMar10000
Sponsored

OP
OP

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
We won't be switching to '23 models in June. We usually switch around September or October. We went late last year because of Covid.
How long before the factory switch happens til deliveries happen. Obviously they're not changing much of anything physically so it's not like they need to retool significantly.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
How long before the factory switch happens til deliveries happen. Obviously they're not changing much of anything physically so it's not like they need to retool significantly.
There is no "switch". The cab is the same. The only things different are the box side outers, tailgate on Lariat+ models and everything front of the cab. All that stuff is stamped next door to Body. Body assembles the cab and box the same as an ICE truck. Then it's painted alongside ICE trucks. It then goes into a new building that will assemble only the Lightning.

Last I've heard is Job2 should be sometime in April. I would think trucks should start being delivered sometime in late May or June. But everything is a guess at this point.

Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
There is no "switch". The cab is the same. The only things different are the box side outers, tailgate on Lariat+ models and everything front of the cab. All that stuff is stamped next door to Body. Body assembles the cab and box the same as an ICE truck. Then it's painted alongside ICE trucks. It then goes into a new building that will assemble only the Lightning.

Last I've heard is Job2 should be sometime in April. I would think trucks should start being delivered sometime in late May or June. But everything is a guess at this point.
Good to see viable EV alternatives to T. I test drove one today for the first time. Software and tech wise, it is an great machine and far ahead of the competition. But the novelty wears off fairly quickly and everything feels like cheaply built vs ICE cars from the competition. I am going to pass on T for now.

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
I’m also curious about the transition from waves to MY2023 ordering. Are they going to offer ordering to all people who had the opportunity to order in waves 1-6 and didn’t (and what about dealerships priority lists that didn’t get to order?) before opening it up to all reservation holders? Or some sort of ordered wave type invite?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I’m also curious about the transition from waves to MY2023 ordering. Are they going to offer ordering to all people who had the opportunity to order in waves 1-6 and didn’t (and what about dealerships priority lists that didn’t get to order?) before opening it up to all reservation holders? Or some sort of ordered wave type invite?
Don't forget that, given the current number of reservations, Ford may not be able to clear all of them in 2023, so some with reservations may not get a chance to order, or may have to wait to see what the conversion rate is.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Good to see viable EV alternatives to T. I test drove one today for the first time. Software and tech wise, it is an great machine and far ahead of the competition. But the novelty wears off fairly quickly and everything feels like cheaply built vs ICE cars from the competition. I am going to pass on T for now.
Not to turn this into a Tesla thread, but I don't get the Tesla love either. Its great because its electric(the greatest EV adaption yet--far ahead of others at the time), but as a car it seems cheap and overpriced. Once the EV revolution starts to take over at virtually all the established manufacturers, the Tesla honeymoon will be over. The Tesla bubble burst will be worse than the dot.com bust.

I drove a Ioniq 5 last week. With the Ioniq 5 and Kia ev6 Elon better watch out. I don't see any long range plan from Tesla....

Then there is this: https://insideevs.com/news/563498/tesla-robot-mostimportant-product-development/

If Tesla can't/won't continue to refine its autos.. once EV becomes the norm instead of a niche product they will be left behind. I'd be very nervous if I was holding Tesla stock.

Last edited:

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Tesla's best vehicle in my opinion is the Model 3, and it's about 4 years old now so it's no surprise the competition caught up. Tesla still has an excellent charging infrastructure and even their slowest cars are faster than most.

I'll be replacing my Model 3 Performance for a Lightning due to my family's needs but I'll miss that speed for sure.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Tesla's best vehicle in my opinion is the Model 3, and it's about 4 years old now so it's no surprise the competition caught up. Tesla still has an excellent charging infrastructure and even their slowest cars are faster than most.

I'll be replacing my Model 3 Performance for a Lightning due to my family's needs but I'll miss that speed for sure.
I think the Model 3/Y have a great powertrain (battery, motors, power electronics), but dislike everything else about them. They are boring (3) / ugly (Y) on the outside and the interior is a study in nothingness. Still waiting for them to figure out the technology to put a speedometer in front of the driver - only ~100 years behind on that.

In fairness, I have never driven one because it isn't worth a ~7 hour round trip to the nearest location.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The big three could take a page from Tesla and just ditch model years.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I keep telling people the Model 3 is the modern day Neon. They laugh and say i'm crazy, but am i right or am i right? they look pretty similar too in a way.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I keep telling people the Model 3 is the modern day Neon. They laugh and say i'm crazy, but am i right or am i right? they look pretty similar too in a way.
i mean, except the part where the Model 3 is a good car and the Neon was garbage. They do look a little similar.
Sponsored