• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Uprating rear suspension F150 Lightning

DrMrSam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lughtnig Lariat ER
Looking for some advice please.

I have exported a Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER 2022 to Europe. My partner and I are travelling the continent for the next 2 years in it.

We have purchased a slide-in camper unit for the back (despite Ford not recommending this 😅 and I'm now learning why).

Our rear GAWR is sitting bang on max.
It's rated to 4950lb, and we are at 4945lb fully loaded. So 5lb 'spare'..

My questions are:

1. I'd like to support the back end the best I can. I'm shipping in some 123/120s load rated tires. What other upgrade can I do to support the axle?
I've seen a couple of suspension coilover kits (e.g Icon or Eibach, I'll link both at the bottom)
Would these help take any of the strain off the axle?

2. Does anyone know of any improvements I can make to the axle itself to protect/improve it? Are there any uprated axle shafts available for the Lightning?

3. I know the GAWR must have some percentage of safety margin designed into it. I have no intention of going over the rated limit. But would I actually be damaging the axle by having it max loaded 24/7 365? Or will it just be a bit more wear and tear? (Can anyone suggest how often I should get the axle checked over, every 10,000 miles?)

Thanks in advance for your time!

Sam

ICON
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...5-vs-remote-reservoir-cdev-coilover-kit-rear/

EIBACH
https://eibach.com/eps-search?year=...submodel=Dual eMotor - Extended Range Battery
Sponsored

SC_Sparky

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Black
Interesting post. I'd put rear air bags on it for sure. Also, check out Hellwig anti sway bars. I've done both in other trucks for campers and works like a charm. Good luck.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model 3, Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Dev
Interesting post. I'd put rear air bags on it for sure. Also, check out Hellwig anti sway bars. I've done both in other trucks for campers and works like a charm. Good luck.
Have you seen an airbag kit for the lightning? What do they mount it to?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Weight rating aren't just about the suspension. You have other things that are limited by weight. Tires, axle half shafts, wheels, and brakes.

Stay safe.

SC_Sparky

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Black
I forgot, independent... Just quick searching isn't great. Looks like there are only helper bags for inside the coil. I'd be curious if you could just replace the current coils with some from an expedition (I checked for any air bags for them, nothing with the independent suspension). Just need the coil rates for both and measuring- it's the only thing I see working. Something like this may help, but I believe the shock is inside the coil on these- I need to check later in the day to confirm. https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Ford/Explorer/2019/AL60821.html?VehicleID=20191111798
Sponsored