• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What do you pay per kWh at home?

What do you pay per kWh at home from your utility

• Total voters

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I thought EA was 42 / 31 cents per kWh everywhere. Per minute is saving you a ton of money. My last big EA charge was 92 kWh @ 31 cents for a total of $28.52 over 41 minutes. It would have been like $13 if I had your option
15 states have laws against non-utilities selling electricity in kWh increments. I have no idea why, but they all charge 0.32/min, i believe. As long as you aren’t charging deep into the battery you should be getting $0.16/kwh or better.
Sponsored

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Hah, can I change my answer? We had been getting 0.11-0.13 for the past year and this past month was 0.18

(yes, I see the change vote button ;0)

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I just received my GA POWER Bill for Sep 12 - Oct 12, 30 days... with overnight 1.5cents p/kwh rate...

for my Lightning(1,000 miles roughly for that time period), and my wife's KIA PHEV she fully recharges every weeknight(not including her miles)...

$44 for the month, with the 'overnight' rate... including a percentage of the other 'basic' and 'fuel surcharge' charges. That equates to about $4.40 for every 100 miles, or $1.57 per day, etc... or
for those who want to 'compare' to a 'per mile' rate: 2 - 2.5cents per mile.

now, as well all know, most of us don't necessarily do ALL of our charging at home, but will use a DC Fast Charger from time to time...
My cost, per mile, including DC charging, for those total 1,000 miles, is about 6cents...

even at 6cents per mile, that equates to a rough comparison of a 66.7 miles/per 'gallon', with fuel at an average of $4...
or if you use the 2.5 cents, for 'at home' cost, equaling a comparison of 160 miles/per 'gallon...

but, check my math : )

I also got to thinking about the 'cost of ownership', including the cost of 'fuel', for these machines... and while an EV is not 'cheap', and generally $5-$10k above a 'comparable' gas vehicle of similar type and design, the winner is clearly the fuel cost, but it is also the MAINTENANCE 'un-cost', as there is basically NONE.
While we'll all need to replace tires, that's the case with any vehicle.
And, while we'll also need to eventually replace brake pads, you'll find that brake pads on EVs will last SUBSTANTIALLY longer than gas vehicles, for obvious reasons.

Yes, my electric bill 'might' be higher, compared to NOT owning and charging such a massive battery pack. Since the charging overnight costs are so low, though, it actually may NOT.

Last year, during a similar billing period, with two gas vehicles and NO electric vehicles, and on the typical 'residential' billing account, my electric bill was a similar cost, but the kwh billed was 715 last year, to 1638 this year. The weather does come into play when comparing these 'bills', so I can't necessarily 'say' so, for sure, but the overall monthly cost was close, regardless.

When making the "EV" charging costs included in your electric bill, versus the 'what if' I still had two gas vehicles, it might actually reveal that overnight charging at a much lower rate could expose an almost 'no additional cost' to powering the EV, at least from the power from the home.

Now, the local state/county does impose a 'EV FUEL TAX' to my annual registration, of $210, since we 'EVs' don't stop at gas stations and pay fuel tax as part of our purchase, so there's this fixed 58cents per day cost for owning an EV, if nothing else. But, in the overall perspective, it's still quite a bargain. I'm interested, though, why the state is not including us EV owners in the state's 'waiver' of the current fuel tax, due to covid and inflation, etc... apparently no one has made a big enough issue about it to our governor. We continue to pay, while others get relief.

All in All, the outcome is massively important to EV owners who can parlay the cost-of-ownership of purchasing and driving an EV, along with the Convenience of being able to charge at home.
Even with a current lack of nationwide DC Fast Charging options, I'll never look back. My wife's KIA PHEV will be given back when her lease ends, and her car will also be a full EV.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
My house was 115 years old when they did my install which is why they said only my newer addition (about 6 years old at the time) could take some panels.

As long as you have 2x6 rafters you should be fine. Mine are rough cut 2x4.
We have 186 year old house and old rough cut rafters as well. We were able to install knee walls in the attic to support increased solar loads (also provides hidden storage space behind the knee walls).

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
We have 186 year old house and old rough cut rafters as well. We were able to install knee walls in the attic to support increased solar loads (also provides hidden storage space behind the knee walls).
As for electricity prices, our solar provides all house and farm power plus about 3000 miles of free Lightning driving each year. After that we pay $0.12/kW flat rate.
Sponsored