• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why would I need a mobile charger?

Do you own and actually use a mobile charger often?

• Total voters
OP
OP

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Thanks for all who responded with very thoughtful input. I will most likely be acquiring a mobile charger at some point soon. But not because of many of the reasons given by others.

One main theme was for emergencies. But I'm still not sold on this one. In an emergency I don't see sitting at a location for many many hours waiting for a 110 outlet to give me enough charge to get going. Yes, there are also the 50 amp outlets in places. But i expect finding a public charger will be as easy as finding those, and more so as time goes on. Not to mention AAA which is offering EV emergency charging in many locations, and growing.

Others mentioned using it while visiting family vacation spots or rental places. But we have been very lucky. We live in a destination resort area. Family and friends come to visit us :)

The reason that finally sold me was the one about many hotels now providing 50 amp outlets as opposed to charging stations. I can see using this as when we do travel, we tend to stay at hotels along the way. This is a good enough reason for me.

Again, thanks to all for the input. It is appreciated.
Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I actually only use my mobile charger to charge my truck. I have a NEMA 14-50 that came with the house and such a short commute I only need to charge once a week at most. The mobile cord is all I needed, never installed the FSCP nor did I feel like buying another. Granted it came with my truck when I bought it, I guess if I was buying now I would just use the money to buy a more wifi integrated mobile charger online.

I also shamelessly siphon 110V power from friends when I visit.