• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Faulty Mobile Charger?

Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F350 diesel dually, 2020 Platinum Escape Hybr
Occupation
Retired
We’re using the Mobile charger that came with our Lariat ER while we’re still waiting for our electrician to come install our Pro Charger. The first time, it charged from 49-100% in 12h54m and the cable felt hot while charging. We don’t know if this is to be expected or not as we have no previous EV experience. This second time, it only charged from 42-70% in 13h59m and the charger and cable coming out of it were very hot - amber light on and blue pulsing. Unplugged and plugged it back in after it had time to cool but unit got hot and amber light on within a couple minutes. It’s plugged in to a 220 V outlet on a 30 amp breaker. Breaker was not warm. Any insights?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
We’re using the Mobile charger that came with our Lariat ER while we’re still waiting for our electrician to come install our Pro Charger. The first time, it charged from 49-100% in 12h54m and the cable felt hot while charging. We don’t know if this is to be expected or not as we have no previous EV experience. This second time, it only charged from 42-70% in 13h59m and the charger and cable coming out of it were very hot - amber light on and blue pulsing. Unplugged and plugged it back in after it had time to cool but unit got hot and amber light on within a couple minutes. It’s plugged in to a 220 V outlet on a 30 amp breaker. Breaker was not warm. Any insights?
STOP USING THAT OUTLET IMMEDIATELY.

You are using an inadequate breaker, and possibly inadequate wiring, for that charger. If so, you run the risk of fire in your home. This is a 32amp charger.

See page 2 - 50amp charger is recommended due to outlet.

It may be a charger issue, but until you use it on a proper circuit with proper wiring and a proper breaker, you don't know that.

Attachments

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I'm curious if it's only a 30 amp breaker, that means the cable would be even hotter if it were pulling the full rated load?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is pulling the full rated load. It has no way to not do so.

If the outlet and house wiring are heating up, wiring conducts heat.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
What kind of receptacle did you plug it into? You mention a "220 V outlet on a 30 amp breaker" but unless you're running an adapter, you'd need to plug it into a 14-50 which should be on a 50A breaker. Is your breaker a 30A?

I suspect there's something wrong with the mobile connector as well, but it's (more) important to check the house wiring.

I have posted this picture before in other threads, but I'll post it again to show that you can have equipment issues even if the breaker doesn't pop. In my case I had a faulty receptacle and the gen1 Tesla mobile connector did not have a thermistor in the plug to warn of it overheating. I was tipped off by the burning electrical smell. Fortunately no fire.

Ford F-150 Lightning Faulty Mobile Charger? 20220302_211915

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Resistance causes heat. The smaller the wire, the greater the resistance. Your wiring should be 120% of full load amps

32A x 1.2 = 38.4A

Your circuit and wiring should be able to support 40A. Things could go really bad if you continue to use that outlet.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
hmm, seems there is conflicting info. I see references to 32 amps on other Ford documents with a google search
It can draw 32 amps but because of charging losses and the power to run the EVSE, it only delivers about 30 amps to the vehicle.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
hmm, seems there is conflicting info. I see references to 32 amps on other Ford documents with a google search
Theres a back story someone posted on one of the forums about multiple users doing exact load tests on it with Mach E. Nobody got over total 30A. Add the word Lightning to your Google searches and the literature reads 30A.

It’s a moot point because it still must be used on a minimum 40A circuit, but may explain the breaker not tripping.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
It is pulling the full rated load. It has no way to not do so.

If the outlet and house wiring are heating up, wiring conducts heat.
He said the charger wire was heating up, that's why I asked. I totally understand the house wiring should heat up, but should the charger wiring also get super hot when not pulling more than rated?

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
They are not very good. A lot of people have the same problem with the same charger on the mache. Me included.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
He said the charger wire was heating up, that's why I asked. I totally understand the house wiring should heat up, but should the charger wiring also get super hot when not pulling more than rated?
Do you think the heat stops at the socket?
Sponsored