• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Mobile Charger vs. Third party Mobile Charger

WesternNC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning xlt standard range
Hi all,

My Lightning is scheduled to be built soon, (12/12 week), and I have been debating the best bang for my buck scenario as far as my build sheet. At $500 dollars for Fords mobile charger I have decided that I will be purchasing a more permanent charger for my home and considering the 30% tax credit for home chargers it makes sense for me personally. The question I have then transitions to, should I still purchase the Ford mobile charger for keeping in the truck for travel, or is there a better mobile charger at or below the same price point? Ideally with the capability for 120v/240v.

I have tried digging into the subject but it is easy to get lost in the sea of brands and chargers to which I have no experience. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m personally a fan of the Tesla mobile connector and the Lectron adapter to convert to J1772. The Tesla is a 30A 120/240V cord and the whole setup should be about $100 cheaper than the Ford one.

The primary benefit to the Tesla cord is you can get adapters (separately) for different types of 15,20,30, and 50 amp household outlets. I think 8 in total. For example I use mine with a 6-50 welding outlet in the garage, since EV plugs don’t need a neutral to operate. I think the Ford cord is limited to 5-15 or 14-50 adapters, and may be a consideration depending on what you have.

OP
OP

WesternNC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning xlt standard range
I had just stumbled across that option and it does make sense considering I already had plans of buying the tesla adapter as well due to the availability of free charing in the area and another 'just in case' investment. Have you experienced any issues or downsides for this setup on the Lightning?

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had just stumbled across that option and it does make sense considering I already had plans of buying the tesla adapter as well due to the availability of free charing in the area and another 'just in case' investment. Have you experienced any issues or downsides for this setup on the Lightning?
Not yet, it’s been good so far. I got my Tesla cord with my Tesla about 4 years ago and the cord has lasted as a daily charging solution. The J1772 adapter has worked great for the times I’ve used it. I don’t see a reason why it wouldnt work as a long term charging solution.

EVben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Ranger
Have been experiencing a lot of faults as season has gotten colder with the FMC. If you live in a climate that gets <30F I would not recommend buying the FMC.

There have been many reported faults with the mobile charger over the last year for both lightnings and Mach Es. It just doesn’t seem to have the quality to match the cost, imo.

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
There are lot's of cheaper and better mobile chargers than the Ford charger. The Tesla charger is fine if you're ok with the amperage draw being set by the cable adapter and being locked into the Tesla adapters.

If you want more flexibility, buy a 3rd party level 2 charger that let's you control the amps on the device. You'll want this since the Lightning does NOT let you set charge amps from the truck (which is dumb to be honest).

I use this one and so far it has worked just fine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPF2CL8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
There are lot's of cheaper and better mobile chargers than the Ford charger. The Tesla charger is fine if you're ok with the amperage draw being set by the cable adapter and being locked into the Tesla adapters.

If you want more flexibility, buy a 3rd party level 2 charger that let's you control the amps on the device. You'll want this since the Lightning does NOT let you set charge amps from the truck (which is dumb to be honest).

I use this one and so far it has worked just fine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPF2CL8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Thanks for this information. I'm in the same boat and this charger looks pretty good especially with the free level 1 adapter. Any reason why you choose this one compared to other brands?

Last edited:

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting
I have a Brand New Ford Mobile Charger I sell for $250 Never been used.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Thanks for this information. I'm in the same boat and this charger looks pretty good especially with the free level 1 adapter. Any reason why you choose this one compared to other brands?
I also got this one.

Good reviews, easy amperage changing directly on unit, great price for 40a capability.
Sponsored